No option to disabled License Auto-Renew !

• ESET Insiders

I just renewed my Eset License by clicking on Renew within the Eset Internet Security Application. I was given a new License key after renewing, but it says auto-renew is still enabled for the old key. It does not give me any option to disabled auto-renew for the old key at https://my.eset.com/licenses

I was able to disabled auto-renew for the current license key at " https://store.eset.com/us/estore/myaccount/", but there is no option to disable auto-renew for the old key.  How do I disable auto-renew for the old license key?  The account with the old license key is marked with the red box below. It says next payment for the old key is 10/31/2021. The key I just purchased expires 9/25/2022, and I was able to successfully disabled auto-renew for it.

Eset License.jpg

13 hours ago, cutting_edgetech said:

I went ahead and deleted my credit card information from my account, but still wondering how to make sure auto-renew is disabled for all license keys for an account.

First, verify your credit card data has been deleted from both your Eset eStore account and your myEset.com account.

When I likewise did my Eset license renewal via EIS GUI option, it set up a myEset.com account w/o my permission and set it to auto renewal! Also stored in that myEset account is the credit card number used for the purchase. Given all the security issues with myEset.com accounts being hacked, I also deleted the myEset.com account.

I for one have had it with Eset's overly aggressive license renewal/management crap. It's just "one more nail added to the Eset coffin" in regards to terminating the future use of this product.

• Administrators

There is no connection between my.eset.com and e-store except that the license manager allows to open the license in e-store. I will need to discuss the subscription / auto-renewal system employed by ESET LLC with colleagues from ESET LLC but I'd expect that autorenewal can be disabled if you don't want it.

• ESET Insiders
8 hours ago, itman said:

First, verify your credit card data has been deleted from both your Eset eStore account and your myEset.com account.

When I likewise did my Eset license renewal via EIS GUI option, it set up a myEset.com account w/o my permission and set it to auto renewal! Also stored in that myEset account is the credit card number used for the purchase. Given all the security issues with myEset.com accounts being hacked, I also deleted the myEset.com account.

I for one have had it with Eset's overly aggressive license renewal/management . It's just "one more nail added to the Eset coffin" in regards to terminating the future use of this product.

Thank you for the response itman. Its nice to see others voicing their dismay of being automatically enrolled in the auto-renew license program without their consent. If there was an option to opt out then I did not see it when I made the purchase. Also, it should be easy to find the option to opt out of auto-renew when you log into your account. I like to never found the option. I kept looking in my  https://my.eset.com/home account and there is no option to do it there. I then logged into https://store.eset.com/us/estore/myaccount/ where I finally found the option to opt out after some searching. 

I see at least two problems here with automatically enrolling users in the auto-renew license program. The user gets automatically enrolled in the auto-renew program without their consent, and it's not clear how to opt out of the auto-renew program after the user has been enrolled. I kept searching everywhere on myeset.com for the option to opt out since that's the Eset site for managing License and devices. One would think that there would be an option to opt out of auto-renew on myeset.com since that is the site for managing license and devices. Unfortunately there is no option to opt out of auto-renew on myeset.com. I just wasted a lot of time looking for it.  After that I began searching through my bookmarks to find the eset site for purchasing license. After I logged into store.eset.com xxxxxx I found the option to opt out of auto renew for the license I had just purchased. The problem is that there was no option to disable auto-renew for the old license key and the Eset application continued to report that the old license key was still set up for auto-renew. I could not find any option on either site to opt out of auto-renew for the old license key, so I had no choice other than to remove my debit card info, which I normally do anyways.

The point is there was no option I could find anywhere to disable auto-renew for the old license key and the Eset application continued to report that the old key was set up for auto-renew. I looked on myeset.com and store.eset.com. It would be best if Eset allowed the user to continue to use the same license key by adding additional time to the same key they are already using after they renew their license. Eset could update the number of devices allowed for the key if the user chose to purchase less or more devices for the key. The user would not have to worry about disabling auto renew for old license keys that are about to expire. Also, add an option to myset.com to opt out of auto-renewal, and make it easy to find. Making the option to opt out of auto-renewal difficult to find and automatically enrolling the user in auto-renewal is a dirty way to make extra revenue.

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• ESET Insiders
5 hours ago, Marcos said:

There is no connection between my.eset.com and e-store except that the license manager allows to open the license in e-store. I will need to discuss the subscription / auto-renewal system employed by ESET LLC with colleagues from ESET LLC but I'd expect that autorenewal can be disabled if you don't want it.

I'm going to type this post again. I have the worst luck with this forum! I hit backspace to correct a typo in my post and Firefox went to the previous page I had visited, and I lost my entire post!!!! This has happened so many times on this forum! I have over 5000 post on Wilders and it has never happened on Wilders. The most annoying thing! I think i'm jinxed on this forum.

The user should be given the option to opt out of auto-renewal when they purchase a license and it should be easy to see. Also, it is confusing on where to go to opt out of auto-renewal once you have been enrolled. I thought myeset.com would be the place to opt out since that is the site for managing License and Devices. I wasted a lot of time looking for an option to opt out of auto-renewal on myeset.com. I finally found the option to opt out of auto-renewal on store.eset.com. It only gave me the option to opt out for the license I had just purchased. My old license still reported that it was set up for auto-renewal within the Eset Application.  I never was able to find any option on either website to disable auto-renewal for my old license.

Please read my last response to itman above for more information and one possible solution for this problem. That will save me from having to type everything again.

• Administrators

Regarding the forum not saving what you have typed, I was not able to reproduce it. Navigating back and forth or refreshing the page didn't clear what I typed. Anyways, the forum is developed and maintained by a 3rd party provider and we have no permissions or rights to change the code ourselves. If there's an issue we can report it to the provider but we'll need to provide step-by-step instructions how to 100% duplicate it.

Last but not least, I would like to ask you not to mix different issues in one topic but rather create a separate topic for an issue.

13 hours ago, cutting_edgetech said:

The user should be given the option to opt out of auto-renewal when they purchase a license and it should be easy to see.

As I recollect, the way the Eset N.A. eStore site works is you are informed somewhere on the site web pages displayed that you will be set up for auto renewal. It also states that you can opt-out of this after the purchase by deactivating the auto renewal option via accessing your existing eStore account. Assumed this notification is shown in small print and as such, can be easily overlooked. Also there is no way to opt-out of auto renewal at license purchase time other than terminating the purchase transaction.

Such auto renewal practices are not unique to Eset and done by a number of software vendors. What is needed is for individuals to contact their state and federal representatives that laws are needed to force opt-out renewal option at purchase time.

• ESET Insiders

It is already illegal in almost half the states in the US(22).

https://www.faegredrinker.com/webfiles/50-State Survey Automatic Renewal Laws.pdf 

In fact it seems the FTC is about to start cracking down on this issue of what is called "the negative option". Initially it seems their focus will be on the monthly fees though, so it may take awhile to get to companies doing it annually.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/02/automatic-renewals-ftc-subscriptions/

So for now the way Eset and others are doing it is borderline illegal, but definitely unethical.

Edited by NewbyUser

1 hour ago, NewbyUser said:

t is already illegal in almost half the states in the US(22).

https://www.faegredrinker.com/webfiles/50-State Survey Automatic Renewal Laws.pdf 

Since Eset N.A. is located in California, let's review that law.

At face value, it appears Eset is violating the law. However, I believe the eStore web site has wording in effect stating by purchasing from the web site, you are agreeing to auto renewal. In other words, implicit affirmation which is a favorite Internet web site tactic.

Probably the best way to stop this baloney is no one purchase a license from the Eset N.A. store until an explicit web page opt-out option is provided. 

California Code Section

California Business & Professional Code Section 17601-17606, as amended, with changes effective July 1, 2018
Contracts Applicable to Law
Any plans or arrangements in which a paid subscription or purchasing agreement is automatically renewed at the
end of a definite term for a subsequent term (Section 17601(a)).
Requirements
The business making the automatic renewal or continuous service offer must:

(1) Present the automatic renewal terms in a clear and conspicuous manner before the purchasing
agreement is fulfilled and in visual proximity, or in the case of an offer conveyed by voice, in temporal
proximity, to the request for consent to the offer. If the offer also includes a free gift or trial, the offer
must include a clear and conspicuous explanation of the price that will be charged after the trial ends or
the manner in which the subscription or purchasing agreement pricing will change upon conclusion of the
trial;
(2) Obtain consumer's affirmative consent to the agreement with the automatic renewal terms (including
whether the offer is made at a promotional or discounted price for a limited period of time), cancellation
policy, and how to cancel before charging the consumer's credit card or consumer’s account with a third
party;

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

Yes, I've experienced several other companies using the same or similar tactics. I had a few other companies set up auto-renewal through my Paypal account without me even knowing. Paypal did not even notify me when I made the purchase that the company was setting up the purchase as an Auto-Renewal. I did not even know about it until I found an unknown charge on my bank statement a year later. Let's just say... I was really pissed when I discovered where the charge came from.

I ended up getting the funds returned to my bank account after taking up my time emailing back and forth with their customer service desk over a 3 or 4 day period. I was lucky my account was not over-drafted. I contacted Paypal and asked them why they allowed the auto-renewal purchase to be set up without notifying me during the purchase, and they informed me that it was the sellers responsibility to notify me. I thought that was ridiculous because Paypal was essentially telling me that they don't even attempt to protect their customers from being ripped off by companies attempting to make additional charges to their accounts by abusing Paypal's auto-renewal service. They ended up telling me where to look on my account to see if any auto-renewal payments had been set up and how to remove them.

• Administrators

I've received an official statement on license auto-renewal from ESET LLC:

We’ve had the same “forced” autorenew experience in place for several years.

Legal and many many others have had their eyeballs on the current set up and we can confidently say we’re not in violation of any laws. When clicked in cart, this is the disclosure we show to users:

image.png

The post purchase receipt email provides direct instructions how to manage one’s autopay settings, including a direct link to the eStore My Account to do so. We also send a notice ~30 days before license expiration, reminding the user about the upcoming charge.

Autopay and myESET are 2 separate systems. The latter will be renamed ESET HOME soon and is where the user can manage their license, set up parental control, etc. The former is a customer portal where the user can update their autopay settings or see their purchased licenses. The eStore My Account will be deprecated in steps over the next several months as we move toward the Global eStore.

• ESET Insiders

The old “we’ve been doing it this way for years” reply lol. Longevity doesn’t imply legality. You may be doing it legally in CA, but you’re brushing right against the law. The likely reason you don’t face legal issues is basically it’s literally not worth the cost. It costs money to file lawsuits and it’s not worth the battle over a $70 product. As for the “forced” concept, it’s not that difficult to understand. Can you purchase the product WITHOUT autorenew enabled? In other words is there a way to make a one time purchase? Can autorenew be disabled BEFORE purchase? No. Therefore the autorenew is in fact “forced”.  Just because you call it “autopay” doesn’t change the fact that it’s an autorenew. 

• ESET Insiders

It does seem to me you’re not in compliance with CA law. CA SB340, which is now part of  California Business & Professions Code §17600,, which requires an affirmative consent to auto renewal prior to or at the time of purchase. Yes you do allow cancellation AFTER purchase but there is not option to disable it at or before purchase. 

A093E17A-E19D-4A0D-82F1-82E74EC8B559.png

• ESET Insiders
6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Legal and many many others have had their eyeballs on the current set up and we can confidently say we’re not in violation of any laws. When clicked in cart, this is the disclosure we show to users:

image.png

The post purchase receipt email provides direct instructions how to manage one’s autopay settings, including a direct link to the eStore My Account to do so. We also send a notice ~30 days before license expiration, reminding the user about the upcoming charge.

Autopay and myESET are 2 separate systems. The latter will be renamed ESET HOME soon and is where the user can manage their license, set up parental control, etc. The former is a customer portal where the user can update their autopay settings or see their purchased licenses. The eStore My Account will be deprecated in steps over the next several months as we move toward the Global eStore.

Just because your legal team can “confidently say you’re not violating law” doesn’t mean you’re not lol. If that’s the case you need better lawyers that actually paid attention in law school and learned the Types of Consent. You’re currently implementing a type of informed consent. Which is NOT in compliance with current CA law in the US. As I explained you need affirmative consent. Or a check box explicitly consenting to auto renewal PRIOR to purchase. See bellow advice from a reputable business attorney in CA advising clients how to comply with current CA law. 

Or keep thinking you’re compliant, it doesn’t matter to me.  

E1CCD939-CE24-4D37-B4C6-3F657245F3B9.png

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, Marcos said:

image.png

To avoid other complaints/confusion, would it not be better to have a slider on the page so the user can have it disabled when purchasing rather than having to get the user to agree to it first before opting out.

• ESET Insiders
On 9/29/2021 at 4:27 AM, Marcos said:

image.png

The screenshot you posted above about auto-pay does not say anywhere that the user is going to be enrolled in Eset's auto-pay program by making the purchase. It looks like an optional service being offered by Eset that the user needs to click on in order to sign up for. It's highly deceptive. I looked at Bitdefender's auto-pay notice, and it specifically informs the user that they will be signed up for auto-pay by making the purchase. Eset's auto-pay notice sounds like it is being offered as an option. How hard is it to place the following sentence in your notice? "By making this purchase, you will automatically be signed up for Eset's auto-pay service."

I never did see an answer for my question. I had to unmark your post above as the solution. I thought you was going to get an answer for me, so I marked your post above as the solution. I should have waited until I got the answer. My question was how come Eset did not give me an option to disable auto-pay for my old license key? The Eset store did not give me any option to disable auto-pay for my old license key. When I renewed my subscription I was given a new key, but the old key continued to report that it was set up for auto-pay.

The way to reproduce the problem is to renew your Eset subscription at https://www.eset.com/us/estore/myaccount/, and continue using the old key (since it has not expired yet). If you look in Eset's application GUI it will continue to report that the old key is set up for auto-pay. If you go to the estore site it will only give you the option to disable auto-pay for the new key, but auto-pay is still enabled for the old key. I didn't want to be double charged so I removed my debit card info from my account.  You either have a serious design flaw in the payment system, or it takes longer for Eset Internet Security to sync with the changes that have been made to your account.

• Administrators

We continuously monitor for any legal requirements we as a company need to comply with as well as we take our customer concerns very seriously. Thank you for providing us your feedback. We will conduct another thorough evaluation of the customer experience.

The way to stop this deceptive marketing practice is for Eset eStore to do as other web merchants do that I frequent.

These web sites will ask you on initial purchase if they can save your credit card data. If you say no, by definition you are making a one-time purchase. This also makes the auto-pay issue a moot point since without credit card data retained, there is no way to perform an auto renewal.

People need to petition Mastercard and Visa to make this a requirement for any web merchant that accepts their cards,

• ESET Insiders

This really isn't all that complicated of an issue and wouldn't take much effort to resolve, but the continued hesitancy of Eset staff at resolving it is beginning to make me wonder about the focus and ethics of the company. The issue has been explained legally, ethically and now from a customer use perspective, it's frankly appalling it takes so much effort to get problems resolved or even acknowledged with this company. It's ludicrous. 

• Most Valued Members

Just make it shorter and easier for yourself , just remove your credit card and prevent it from renewal , it's normal after all , all companies are after money so that's what they will do, when I don't want a renewal from a product even PlayStation does that , I just remove my credit card

Or I will simply buy a license key from a store , then I won't have to put my card details for it.

Edited by Nightowl

• Most Valued Members
On 9/29/2021 at 9:27 AM, Marcos said:

image.png

I will say the quote "by enabling autopay" makes it sounds like it is an option

• ESET Insiders
On 10/6/2021 at 5:35 AM, peteyt said:

I will say the quote "by enabling autopay" makes it sounds like it is an option

The entire notice at checkout makes it look like it is being offered as an optional service. The part you quoted strongly supports exactly what I was trying to explain above.

I still never got an answer to my question though, and I started the thread. I don't know why no one from Eset wants to explain why you can't disable auto-pay for your old license after you renew your subscription. When I renewed my subscription I was given a new license key, but it continued to report that auto-pay was enabled for my old key. I logged into Eset store, but it only gave me the option to disable auto-pay for my new key. It seems like this would have to be a bug or something they overlooked by design.

I'm seriously not trying to be difficult. I just think a problem like this is something any company would really want to fix.  Surely they wouldn't want to double charge their customers.

• Administrators
On 9/25/2021 at 1:44 AM, cutting_edgetech said:

I just renewed my Eset License by clicking on Renew within the Eset Internet Security Application. I was given a new License key after renewing, but it says auto-renew is still enabled for the old key. It does not give me any option to disabled auto-renew for the old key at https://my.eset.com/licenses

I was able to disabled auto-renew for the current license key at " https://store.eset.com/us/estore/myaccount/", but there is no option to disable auto-renew for the old key.  How do I disable auto-renew for the old license key?  The account with the old license key is marked with the red box below. It says next payment for the old key is 10/31/2021. The key I just purchased expires 9/25/2022, and I was able to successfully disabled auto-renew for it.

Please contact ESET, LLC support through chat or a ticket if you are having an issue disabling auto-renew or if you want to make sure that auto-renew is disabled for your license. https://www.eset.com/us/existing-customers/# , right hand side top corner, click on "Support" please.We also would like to make sure it's the way you wish so it will be a pleasure for our tech support in North America to work with you directly.