Jump to content

Excessive Memory Usage


Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I've noticed lately that ESET has been using a ridiculous amount of memory lately. Sometimes it exceeds 11GB. I've tried restarting many times, I've fully shut down my computer and waited ten minutes, and I've reinstalled ESET. Anyone know what I can do about this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- uninstall ESET
- install the latest version 14.2.24 from scratch using default settings
- enable memory tracing in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- reboot the computer
- when you observe ekrn.exe taking up more memory than usual (let's say more than 500 MB), generate an ekrn dump via advanced setup Tools -> Diagnostics -> Create
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

i am also having this issue. it was up to 6gb of ram.
then i enabled the logging feature above and instantly it went to 100mb ram. without rebooting.

also recently from an update, it seems i cant use banking now without live grid enabled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
52 minutes ago, 007dave said:

also recently from an update, it seems i cant use banking now without live grid enabled. 

That's weird. Do you get an error when you attempt to launch the secure browser through the desktop icon? How does the issue manifest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2021 at 6:08 AM, Marcos said:

Please carry on as follows:
- uninstall ESET
- install the latest version 14.2.24 from scratch using default settings
- enable memory tracing in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- reboot the computer
- when you observe ekrn.exe taking up more memory than usual (let's say more than 500 MB), generate an ekrn dump via advanced setup Tools -> Diagnostics -> Create
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link.

Hi Marcos

I find I am suffering from the same issue, but under v15.0.16.0. Currently 2.5GB of memory is showing as being consumed by ESET Service (2). I am therefore following the instructions that you provided above and should I notice a similar occurrence post reboot I will generate a dump & collect logs for upload.

Regards, Baldrick

PS:  as 007Dave stated "then i enabled the logging feature above and instantly it went to 100mb ram. without rebooting." except in my case the 2.5GB dropped to 67MB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to keep those interested posted. The response to my ticket submission was to undertake uninstall, reboot & reinstall. This I did and as has already been mentioned in this thread...no change. So ticket updated, diagnostic logs uploaded and I await a response from the learned Support Team at ESET. 😁

Happy Halloween, Baldrick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, Support are currently trying to pass this off as being down to my having additional security software running alongside EIS. The trouble with that is I run the same 'additionals' on TWO systems with EIS as the principal security app...and only ONE of them is exhibiting this issue. 🤔

If can only resolve the issue by running EIS on its own then I may have to dump EIS 😭...as I like/swear by a layered defense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

If you are able to reproduce high cpu usage quickly, please do the following:

- enable memory tracing in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- enable advanced oper. system logging
- after a while when you notice high cpu usage, disable logging (it shouldn't take too long or the logs would grow to gigabytes)
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide them for perusal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The problem seems to be in the update module.
If I go to advanced setup (f5)->Update->rollback to previous modules (click Rollback)
Apply settings.
Again go to advanced setup (f5)->Update->Allow updates (click allow updates)
Apply settings
In the main window->update (click check for updates)
After the update is complete, peak memory most time will increase.

 update_02.png.f0f70c1d57315dacf91dc86a150f5795.png update_01.png.a78fb8eb9ad722266b91c4ad4e82917d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the first update with the pre-release didnt change the ram usage, but if i use the method above it still increases in ram

it went from 1,826,528 to 1,908,792 with that update

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 6:30 PM, Marcos said:

If you are able to reproduce high cpu usage quickly, please do the following:

- enable memory tracing in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- enable advanced oper. system logging
- after a while when you notice high cpu usage, disable logging (it shouldn't take too long or the logs would grow to gigabytes)
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide them for perusal.

Hi Marcos

Hope that you are well?

Apologies for not responding sooner...been somewhat busy at work of late...😰

Will look to get you what you have asked for over this weekend. However, from the previous attempt to collect this data it is clear that what I collect will exceed the 100MB limit so is there some other way that I can get what is collected to you? If so please let me know so that I may use that instead.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Baldrick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

Hi Marcos

Hope that you are well?

Apologies for not responding sooner...been somewhat busy at work of late...😰

Will look to get you what you have asked for over this weekend. However, from the previous attempt to collect this data it is clear that what I collect will exceed the 100MB limit so is there some other way that I can get what is collected to you? If so please let me know so that I may use that instead.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Baldrick

You can upload it online e.g. a file sharing site. You could if privacy is a concern, password protect it and send the link and password to Marcos in a PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, but unfortunately I am nota member of any such site/am not really au fait with potential sites that will handle 1GB or more free of charge.

Is there another way to do this or somewhere that some one can advise as the best place to upload to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Insiders
7 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Thanks, but unfortunately I am nota member of any such site/am not really au fait with potential sites that will handle 1GB or more free of charge.

Is there another way to do this or somewhere that some one can advise as the best place to upload to?

You can use Wetransfer for large files. It offers free service for up to 2 GB files in size.

https://wetransfer.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I for one am feed up with this constant Eset log upload issue due to their excessive size!

If Eset requires users to create diagnostic logs for them to be able to perform problem resolution, then it is Eset's obligation to provide a "nob" user method to do so from the existing Eset GUI interface. It should not involve user input as to what log options should be selected and the like.

Most important is the upload of these logs be performed automatically after logs have been created to appropriate Eset receiving servers. It is not the user responsibility to figure out how these logs should be uploaded to Eset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...