ESET for Ubuntu 24.04

I see that almost a month ago you @Marcos said that ESET for Ubuntu 24.04 was coming soon: 

As we are trying to plan our company-wide upgrades to Ubuntu 24.04, do you have any update on the ETA for the new ESET version?

• Administrators

Support for Ubuntu 24.04 will be added soon (ie. in upcoming weeks, probably 24Q3).

Posted (edited)

Wait, so is it in 'upcoming weeks' or 'probably 24Q3'? 🤔 

If the latter, that's shockingly slow! Do ESET devs just start to work on this when the Ubuntu LTS version is released?

Edited by eab

13 hours ago, tcadorin said:

We are also waiting, as Ubuntu 24.04 has disk encryption with TPM, now ESET is missing compatibility.

TPM FDE has been implemented since Ubuntu 23.10, so I doubt this is why there is a 5-6 month delay on ESET for Ubuntu 24.04. 🤔

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, eab said:

TPM FDE has been implemented since Ubuntu 23.10, so I doubt this is why there is a 5-6 month delay on ESET for Ubuntu 24.04. 🤔

I am still with 22.04 , I am afraid to upgrade now , I will wait for 24.04.2 atleast :D

I have a paranoia from Ubuntu upgrades failing suddenly. waiting a bit for them to solve all problems so I can jump after.

I've had several users wanting to upgrade and even had to as a user to downgrade when we first rolled our last year, an option to support the rolling release as a beta would be helpful (per my comment this thread ) some explanation for why support is limited would be of help in explaining to users

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

I've had several users wanting to upgrade and even had to as a user to downgrade when we first rolled our last year, an option to support the rolling release as a beta would be helpful (per my comment this thread ) some explanation for why support is limited would be of help in explaining to users

I guess ESET only supports the LTS versions and not the 6 month cycle versions

I know but without an explanation this seems to be an artificial limitation to avoid support questions - many of my users are devs so and as with the many endpoint Linux users happy to do some level of self support

20 hours ago, Nightowl said:

I guess ESET only supports the LTS versions and not the 6 month cycle versions

I don't mind that ESET, or any other software, only officially supports the LTS releases of Ubuntu - after all, the in-between releases are more fluid and less stable/reliable. (We had a couple users with 23.04 installed, and ESET worked after installing the right gcc package.)

But if you are going to support the LTS versions, that should be done with as much professionalism and seriousness as supporting MS Windows or MacOS - which is currently far from the case.

Telling business customers that Ubuntu LTS is officially supported, and then making them wait for 6 months after a new LTS release is ESET saying "Linux users are so few in number that we place the Linux software development on very low priority.".

This is a sure way to invite businesses to continue looking elsewhere for alternatives. 

• Administrators

As far as I know, we have nowhere stated that Ubuntu 24.04 LTS is officially supported. If we did, please provide a link to the article or post as it was surely a mistake and we would like to correct it.

We do our best to provide you with a compatible version of ESET products as soon after an OS update release as possible. Unfortunately major changes were introduced in the release version of Ubuntu that were not announced before they would make it to the final version which broke real-time protection functionality and prevented us from introducing an updated version of ESET with the release of the final Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. As it was already mentioned, we are in the pre-release phase and new versions of ESET Linux products are undergoing QA tests before they are released.

8 minutes ago, Marcos said:

As far as I know, we have nowhere stated that Ubuntu 24.04 LTS is officially supported. If we did, please provide a link to the article or post as it was surely a mistake and we would like to correct it.

I am not aware of ESET having stated that they officially support Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, and I would not expect them to have already said that since there isn't even a compatible version of ESET released yet. However, it is presumed that ESET will officially support Canonical's Ubuntu LTS releases, since that seems to be what they have done up till now.

Unfortunately major changes were introduced in the release version of Ubuntu that were not announced before they would make it to the final version which broke real-time protection functionality and prevented us from introducing an updated version of ESET with the release of the final Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

This is precisely what has been discussed among us IT admins. It would really go a long way in building trust if you could be more specific about what those 'not announced' 'major changes' were in Ubuntu 24.04. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We do our best to provide you with a compatible version of ESET products as soon after an OS update release as possible.

I've been with ESET since January 2016 on Linux, but with Nod32. That antivirus got basically no version updates whatsoever other than definition updates and yet it worked like a charm from kernel 4.2 (2015) up to kernel 6.1 (2023). It never ever broke. A friend of mine was with Ubuntu while I was with Fedora and we were both very happy. In my case, it worked from Fedora 23 up until Fedora 37 until it finally broke with Fedora 38.

I've been with Eset Endpoint Protection ever since and I'm paying a lot of money for Endpoint given that my friend and I are private users, not a company and out of 5 licenses we're using 3 of them on my PC (Fedora), my family PC (Fedora) and my friend's PC (Ubuntu). Unfortunately, ESET Endpoint Protection constantly breaks, so, to avoid having issues, I had to version lock the kernel on Fedora to version 6.3.13 first and 6.5.12 now. My other friend, instead, is also on kernel 6.5 but he's with Ubuntu 24.04 and therefore he has not been able to run Eset as he's waiting for a fix.

What I'm struggling to understand is: how come you could make Nod32 work without any updates for 8 years (2015-2023) and yet Endpoint Protection constantly breaks despite being regularly updated? I feel like I'm paying more to have less. Endpoint Protection is still lacking a lot of features that were in Nod32. I paid the license 'till 2026 but as much as I wanna support Eset, I'm really struggling to see how should I... :( Please, I know that Linux users are a tiny minority but we're still paying customers...

Edited by FranceBB

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The release of ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux 10.3 is scheduled for tomorrow, May 15th.

Wow - Awesome! 

30 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The release of ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux 10.3 is scheduled for tomorrow, May 15th.

Great, thanks a ton

• Most Valued Members
On 5/15/2024 at 3:01 PM, eab said:

Just noticed that 'Ubuntu' is not included in the OS list 🤔

Screenshot from 2024-05-15 13-57-05.png

In changelog and help KB you will find Ubuntu there.

Software requirements

The following operating systems of 64-bit architecture are officially supported and tested:

Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS 64-bit

Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS

Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 LTS

Ubuntu Desktop 24.04 LTS - EEAU version 10.3 and later

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, 9 with supported desktop environment installed.

Linux Mint 20, 21

Edited by Nightowl