Eset Update Hang on ver. 14.2.24

It happened this morning at system startup time; took 5 mins. to update. Believe I can shed some light on what the problem is and it is not Eset per se.

As it turns outs in this instance, there was an issue with Win 10 update checking. Actually, I noticed the issue with it yesterday when I went to the Win 10 Update status screen manually and it was hung up there in update checking. Thought it would resolve itself after a cold boot but it did not. There have been severe thunderstorms in my area the last couple of days with the power going out repeated. Guess one of those PC power downs borked Win 10 updating.

Anyway when Win 10 updating is borked at system startup, it in turn borks anything else trying to do update checking at system startup time; e.g. Abobe updating via its arm service and the like. PC slows to a crawl for a good 10 mins. till Win 10 finally recovers.

BTW - fixed the Win 10 Updating issue by manually clearing is cache files by deleting them and rebooting.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

My two cents from a non coder POV, is it possible updates are run at a lower priority? Similar to on demand scanning? It seems updating gets bogged down mostly at start ups or waking from sleep. If it was a true issue with the update process I'd think it would be slow all the time.

• Most Valued Members

Sounds like this is why Microsoft keeps pushing KB4023057 out every once in a while. I received this yesterday again (not within the normal monthly patch cycle) and while i have never had any issues with updates of ESET products, it may be that this update is cleaning up a lot more issues with 3rd party software too ?.

5 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Sounds like this is why Microsoft keeps pushing KB4023057 out every once in a while.

I received it again on 7/30.

I also now recall what hung Win 10 updating. I was checking for a driver update and none were available. So I did the Win Update option offered. This is when Win 10 Update hung and never stopped checking for any updates.

• ESET Insiders

I had the problem 4 days ago that the Eset update got stuck again, so again one of some bugs that Eset takes into the new build despite the message!!!!

Edited by SlashRose

• ESET Insiders

Had it happen with the latest update. I wonder if it's related to which modules get updated. There was a HIPS module update today and that might/could be why it's sporadic. 

• ESET Insiders

Today again the same problem that Eset gets stuck during the update, so slowly you should really iron out this time and not take it from one build to the next!

I have had no further Eset updating issues on ver. 14.2.24 since I cleared the Win 10 Update cache. Those with Eset update hang issues at system boot time might want to try clearing the Win 10 Update cache.

Edited by itman

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

I have now noticed that the Eset update gets stuck whenever Windows checks for updates at the same time, so I think there is a conflict between Eset and the Windows Update!

1 hour ago, SlashRose said:

I have now noticed that the Eset update gets stuck whenever Windows checks for updates at the same time, so I think there is a conflict between Eset and the Windows Update!

Did you clear the Win 10 Win Updates cache as I suggested in my initial posting in this thread?

• ESET Insiders

I had done this a while ago, after you had written this, after that there was some time rest and now the whole thing starts again.

• Administrators

Please provide a dump of ekrn created via the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics when update appears to be stuck.

Also it could help if you create a video of the update process to better understand what issue you have.

• ESET Moderators

As scheduled updates run now at low CPU/IO/Memory priority, the may take longer time when the system is under load.

I checked it with the dev and he told me that he seen a logs, when the update took 20 minutes to complete...

Peter

• ESET Insiders

Mr. Randziak, you don't really want to tell me that this update behavior of Eset is normal? No, it's not, because as you should have seen, working on Windows is almost impossible during this time, I'm always surprised by the answers when reporting errors.

If you show me an AV that behaves similarly, there is none!

And the system has never been under load, even with others where this error occurs, because we have no apple boxes as a PC!

Edited by SlashRose

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
1,  under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup, enable:
- advanced update engine logging
- advanced operating system logging
2, reproduce the issue
3, disable logging
4, create a dump of ekrn under Tools -> Diagnostics -> Create
5, collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

6 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

As scheduled updates run now at low CPU/IO/Memory priority, the may take longer time when the system is under load.

I checked it with the dev and he told me that he seen a logs, when the update took 20 minutes to complete...

@SlashRose the way to verify this is immediately fire up Process Explorer or Win Task Manager and verify what priority ekrn.exe is running at when updating:

Eset_Priority.thumb.png.6184eaad500f96c5ba57298ce7beb64b.png

I have serious doubts it is running at anything other than normal priority when sig, updates are taking place.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Ekrn should always run with the normal priority. It's particular threads that run with different priority which could be probably seen only in a process dump.

• ESET Insiders

Itman I'll see it tomorrow.                    

Marcos there You contradict each other, but what Mr. Peter Randziak says is that it runs with low priority and you tell Marcos now that it always runs with normal priority, get some agreement, how now? In low priority as Mr Peter Randziak says, or as you say with normal priority? Is once again Fantastic

9 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's particular threads that run with different priority which could be probably seen only in a process dump.

Should be able to do so in Process Explorer:

Eset_Threads.png.e47ce4fec44ebad898b235d10ac9def6.png

• Most Valued Members

This sounds like the same issue I've been witnessing that I've shared via the beta area - just about to share some logs on there. I should note this is on startup, not running windows update, although I don't know if windows update is running.

Edited by peteyt

• Administrators
3 hours ago, itman said:

Should be able to do so in Process Explorer:

You're right. It confirmed that update is run with very low priority, ie. if more CPU intensive processes with normal priority were running, they would use more of the CPU while the update less which could result in update taking longer than usual.

image.png

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

It confirmed that update is run with very low priority, ie. if more CPU intensive processes with normal priority were running, they would use more of the CPU while the update less which could result in update taking longer than usual

I would add there also might be a Win 10 fast startup factor in play here. With fast startup, drivers and the like are not being reloaded greatly reducing load on the system.

Since I cleared the Win 10 update cache, I only had one occurrence of Eset updating taking an extended update time (5 mins.) upon first system startup of the day. I have never had Eset updating issues upon system restart during the day which assumed is due to Eset not updating at the same time.

As far as Win Updating being a factor here, I dispute that. Eset updating is running by the time my desktop initializes. Win 10 Updating by designed doesn't start until a few minutes after system startup.

Finally, there is the obvious reason. If your system has a single core low throughput CPU with limited real memory, your multi-tasking capability is zilch for practical purposes.

Edited by itman

Well, I didn't do "a knock on wood" prior to my last posting.

This morning, I had a delayed Eset detection update. I also have to partial retract my prior statement about Win Updating occurring a few minutes after system startup time. I forgot about Win 10 Store updates that are also pushed via Win Updating. Sure enough, I had a large Edge update pushed at system startup time that resulted in the delayed Eset detection update.