Eset Update Hang on ver. 14.2.24

• Most Valued Members
18 hours ago, Marcos said:

You're right. It confirmed that update is run with very low priority, ie. if more CPU intensive processes with normal priority were running, they would use more of the CPU while the update less which could result in update taking longer than usual.

image.png

How long should it take though because generally speaking on bootup eset is taking often in the region of 20 minutes to update. I've supplied some logs and understand that it is using less resources but something under 1mb should be quick. I can imagine a lot of people thinking something was wrong with their AV due to this.

• Administrators

As Peter mentioned, we've seen cases where an update with very low priority takes about 20 minutes if the system is loaded with other tasks. It is possible that users will be able to enable higher priority updates via a new setting which we are considering to add.

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

How long should it take though because generally speaking on bootup eset is taking often in the region of 20 minutes to update.

You will have to keeps tabs on what other updating is occurring when Eset is trying to update. I also assume we are not just talking about time to download other updates but, the processing time for the updates. I will add that 20 mins seems excessive to me for other app updating to complete but, it depends on the update processing and machine capacity.

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, peteyt said:

How long should it take though because generally speaking on bootup eset is taking often in the region of 20 minutes to update. I've supplied some logs and understand that it is using less resources but something under 1mb should be quick. I can imagine a lot of people thinking something was wrong with their AV due to this.

If you can hardly use your system during this time, then something is wrong with Eset and anyone who disagrees does not really seem to know Eset! But is only my personal opinion.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, SlashRose said:

If you can hardly use your system during this time, then something is wrong with Eset and anyone who disagrees does not really seem to know Eset! But is only my personal opinion.

Unlike ESET which runs the update thread with as low priority as possible (that's also why update may take long), other tasks and applications run with standard or high priority. In that case it's not ESET that takes as little CPU as possible.

2 minutes ago, SlashRose said:

On my system, extensive non-Eset related updating at system startup will slow other apps such as browser startup to a crawl. As such, it is hard to point the finger at Eset in this regard. I have just got into the habit of letting this updating  complete before doing anything else on the PC. Since my boot HDD is noisy as hell, its easy to determine when this updating has completed.

• ESET Insiders
17 minutes ago, SlashRose said:

A simple test to determine the effect Eset has on your system at startup, disable the scheduled task to update at start up, restart your system. If start up time is drastically reduced than Eset may be the culprit. You can do the same with the scheduled start up scan. 

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Marcos said:

As Peter mentioned, we've seen cases where an update with very low priority takes about 20 minutes if the system is loaded with other tasks. It is possible that users will be able to enable higher priority updates via a new setting which we are considering to add.

4 hours ago, itman said:

You will have to keeps tabs on what other updating is occurring when Eset is trying to update. I also assume we are not just talking about time to download other updates but, the processing time for the updates. I will add that 20 mins seems excessive to me for other app updating to complete but, it depends on the update processing and machine capacity.

Here is a picture of the update from the other day that took 20 minutes.

In previous versions my system crawled during the update but in this version it doesn't seem as bad but I do wonder if it slows down the system slightly.

I've tried to avoid doing anything during the update but it is still very slow. As you can see in the screenshot it is 446 kB which is why I'm wondering if there is an issue. I understand making the update use lower resources could have some use but in reality an update that is under 1MB taking 20 minutes doesn't sound good

147004295_Esetupdate.jpg.e04449c212c541fc992648b1cdbc3dd0.jpg

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

Here is a picture of the update from the other day that took 20 minutes.

Interesting.

In all my cases where there was extended updating, the Eset download never started. Also on my 1GB DSL fiber network connection, a 1/2 MB download would be almost instantaneous. In your case, wonder if the issue is the Eset Update Internet relay servers you're connecting to. You might want to use tracert: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-use-tracert-to-troubleshoot-tcp-ip-problems-in-windows-e643d72b-2f4f-cdd6-09a0-fd2989c7ca8e to get a picture of what is going on. More info here: https://www.wikihow.com/Traceroute

Also Internet download speed is not just how fast your Network connection is but how much bandwidth is available. If other running processes are doing heavy download activities and assume those processes are running at a higher priority than Eset update is running, those other processes are going "to hog" all available bandwidth.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
On 8/28/2021 at 8:03 PM, NewbyUser said:

Ein einfacher Test, um die Auswirkungen von Eset auf Ihr System beim Start zu bestimmen, deaktivieren Sie die geplante Aufgabe, um beim Start zu aktualisieren, starten Sie Ihr System neu. Wenn die Startzeit drastisch reduziert wird, kann Eset der Schuldige sein. Sie können dasselbe mit dem geplanten Startscan tun.

It's not about how long the OS start takes while Eset is running, it's just as fast as usual, it's about the Eset although the computer takes just 1%CPU, Eset then updates the signatures and this then takes 20 minutes and especially you can't really do anything on the PC in these 20 minutes and that's not normal and I'll stick with that!

• ESET Insiders

And the Eset scans immediately for signatures after the system starts, that was the first thing I turned off, but Win Update Does not always update itself immediately after the system start, but partly also sometime during the OS operation and should Eset update itself this month, Eset's signature update hangs and therefore I also stick to my opinion,   that there is a conflict between Eset and the Windows Update, especially since Eset has been having problems since Windows 10 2004.

Edited by SlashRose

• ESET Moderators

Hello @SlashRose,

do you have the latest version available? 

The issue with system slow-down during update should be resolved in 14.2.23.0 + (P_ESSW-13437).

If not, please update to it. If yes and the issue persists please enable the following options in diagnostics 

1. Update engine advanced logging 2. Operating System advanced logging and 3. Memory tracing

reproduce the issue, disable the logging, collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and send me the download details with a reference to this forum topic to check.

Peter

• ESET Insiders

Yes I have the latest build right after running and namely the 14.2.24.2 and the problem as well as other reports, is not fixed in the build, unfortunately.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @SlashRose,

1 minute ago, SlashRose said:

Yes I have the latest build right after running and namely the 14.2.24.2 and the problem as well as other reports, is not fixed in the build, unfortunately.

The issue for you is that the update just takes too long, but the system is usable as usually OR do you experience system slow-down during the slow update? 

How long it takes to apply an update in your case?

Would it be possible to get the outputs from 1. Update engine advanced logging 2. Operating System advanced logging for us to check? I spoke with a developer and he would like to check them to see where the issue is so we can address it...

Thank you, Peter

• ESET Insiders

No, that's not the case, Eset gets stuck and then it's not really possible to work on the PC, that's what others have already told them, so what's the point?

It doesn't stop even after an hour, so what do they want to tell me here?

Is it so difficult for Eset to admit mistakes, because listen to the whole thing often and what always turned out, it was eset!

Edited by SlashRose

• ESET Moderators

Hello @SlashRose,

1 hour ago, SlashRose said:

No, that's not the case, Eset gets stuck and then it's not really possible to work on the PC, that's what others have already told them, so what's the point?

that was an issue, which was supposed to be fixed in 14.2.23.0, Changelog states "Fixed: Issue when device has been slowed down during module update", but apparently you are facing an issue with a different root cause.

1 hour ago, SlashRose said:

Is it so difficult for Eset to admit mistakes, because listen to the whole thing often and what always turned out, it was eset!

I admit that there might be an issue on our side or some conflict with some other tasks being done on the system.

I was contacted by a principal software engineer, who is willing to analyze this so we definitely want to investigate it to reveal the root cause.

So can you please 

1. open the command line and run

wpr -start GeneralProfile -start DiskIO -start Minifilter

2. open a second command line instance and prepare command 

wpr -stop trace.etl
but do not run it yet
3. wait until the issue reappears and note the exact time (so we can check it it the logs)

4. wait for about 30 seconds and run the command from step #2.

Upload the log to a safe location and send me the download details so I can have it checked here.
Thank you, Peter

• ESET Insiders
5 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hallo @SlashRose,

das war ein Problem, das in 14.2 behoben werden sollte. 23.0, Changelog gibt an "Behoben: Problem, wenn das Gerät während des Modulupdates verlangsamt wurde", aber anscheinend haben Sie ein Problem mit einer anderen Ursache.

100% there is no problem of my system, there are one or more Eset problems and these are already running through several builds as confirmed by me and other users here!

• ESET Moderators
15 hours ago, SlashRose said:

100% there is no problem of my system

I never said, that there is.

15 hours ago, SlashRose said:

there are one or more Eset problems and these are already running through several builds as confirmed by me and other users here

Well for sure that is something going on and we would really want to find out what.

Toe investigate it, we would need the logs I asked for, so can you please provide us with them so we can investigate the issue together?

20 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

1. open the command line and run

wpr -start GeneralProfile -start DiskIO -start Minifilter

2. open a second command line instance and prepare command 

wpr -stop trace.etl
but do not run it yet
3. wait until the issue reappears and note the exact time (so we can check it it the logs)

4. wait for about 30 seconds and run the command from step #2.

Upload the log to a safe location and send me the download details so I can have it checked here.

Thank you, Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

I've mentioned this in the beta forum - I haven't booted my desktop PC for just under a week and Eset while updating seemed to cause slowdowns - e.g. browser took ages just to launch. Currently it is still updating, telling me 1,639kB out of 32,731kB but it is taking ages, and seeming like it is stuck - I know it will eventually finish but from what I understood from @Marcos,once it starts downloading it shouldn't go slow, but it is. 

I hate to repeat stuff - and don't want to seem like I am being negative or annoying in regards to Eset, but I do feel like there is an issue with the update side of Eset. I have just went to https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download and downloaded the 512MB file to see how quick it would be, it took me, roughly a minute. As of writing this part, Eset is now 2,631kB -  Is this still part of the product design? I just find it looks bad when I can download something half of a GB in a minute but it is taking ages to download something that is around 30mb or something similar.

If this is by design and is part of the low resources being used, I do worry that people not using this forum may think the product is faulty because in previous versions this would have updated quick

Edit - I've also noticed browsing in general seems slow right now, which I think is due to the update

Edited by peteyt

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, peteyt said:

I've mentioned this in the beta forum - I haven't booted my desktop PC for just under a week and Eset while updating seemed to cause slowdowns - e.g. browser took ages just to launch.

I've asked the developer of the updater to read your comment and neither him has an idea how ESET just downloading update files could slow down the whole system.

We would need you to enable in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics:
- advanced operating system logging
- advanced update engine logging

Then run update and wait until it completes. Should it take too long, stop logging after 10-15 minutes. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link.

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I've asked the developer of the updater to read your comment and neither him has an idea how ESET just downloading update files could slow down the whole system.

We would need you to enable in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics:
- advanced operating system logging
- advanced update engine logging

Then run update and wait until it completes. Should it take too long, stop logging after 10-15 minutes. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link.

I will try and do it next time - What about how long the update should take to download - now its showing 3/11 - but it's been downloading the updates for at least half an hour. 

Okay now Eset went 9/11 and completely crashed. 

Edited by peteyt

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, peteyt said:

I will try and do it next time - What about how long the update should take to download - now its showing 3/11 - but it's been downloading the updates for at least half an hour.

Hard to say. Theoretically there was a problem determining your location and you were routed to US update servers but your ISP had slow connectivity to the US at the moment. Logs would show what server you download update files from as well as what utilizes the disk or CPU at the time of the update.

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Hard to say. Theoretically there was a problem determining your location and you were routed to US update servers but your ISP had slow connectivity to the US at the moment. Logs would show what server you download update files from as well as what utilizes the disk or CPU at the time of the update.

Had to restart but it seems to be up to date. What I might do is set the stuff ready to log but not go on my desktop for a little bit - As mentioned it can be quick someday but possibly if not been updated in a week, that could be where the issue is. 

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You could try switching between release and pre-release update channel which will enforce download of all modules.

Would that be okay even on the beta version I'm on? Also not sure if related but because of the crash went to https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950 to test things where okay - the first download eicar.com 68 Bytes allows me to download it and only blocks/removes once downloaded while the others block me from downloading.