Eset Update Hang on ver. 14.2.24

• Most Valued Members
On 9/16/2021 at 5:33 PM, Marcos said:

I've asked the developer of the updater to read your comment and neither him has an idea how ESET just downloading update files could slow down the whole system.

We would need you to enable in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics:
- advanced operating system logging
- advanced update engine logging

Then run update and wait until it completes. Should it take too long, stop logging after 10-15 minutes. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link.

I have the logs attached here. Ran them shortly after the update had began on widows startup. It did it's usual bit where it seemed to be trying to find the updates for a while but didn't take as long as sometimes - however as mentioned this varies, sometimes very quick, sometimes very slow. Very inconsistent. It started updating eventually but was stuck on 1 out of something (can't remember exactly what) e.g. 1/6.

As you mentioned, I let the logs generate for a bit. Currently it hasn't finished updating but just shows Updating.... with no progress shown e.g. no 3/6, no information about size (e.g. it was showing so much kb out of so much kb downloaded earlier at one stage).

So it wasn't as bad as last time but I've linked the log bellow - it's not too big but just over the limit for on here. There is a password which is just ESET (all capitals) 

https://easyupload.io/407a4p

EDIT - a few minutes, possibly 3-5 after stopping logging the update did fully finish.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, peteyt said:

I have the logs attached here. Ran them shortly after the update had began on widows startup. It did it's usual bit where it seemed to be trying to find the updates for a while but didn't take as long as sometimes - however as mentioned this varies, sometimes very quick, sometimes very slow. Very inconsistent. It started updating eventually but was stuck on 1 out of something (can't remember exactly what) e.g. 1/6.

Unfortunately advanced OS logging was not enabled and EsetPerf.etl was not generated in the Diagnostics folder. Please try again.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, NewbyUser said:

Kind of ridiculous putting all the work on the end user. 

If one is having an issue which cannot be easily reproduced, logs are the only thing that can help in investivation.

• ESET Insiders

But in the case of updating the end user is only half the equation. The company should be logging updates as well and trying to find a solution. Turning users into trouble shooters is not the answer. All this constant drone to submit logs is driving users away. 

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Unfortunately advanced OS logging was not enabled and EsetPerf.etl was not generated in the Diagnostics folder. Please try again.

Weird eset kept telling me advanced os logging was on during the update 

14 minutes ago, NewbyUser said:

But in the case of updating the end user is only half the equation. The company should be logging updates as well and trying to find a solution. Turning users into trouble shooters is not the answer. All this constant drone to submit logs is driving users away. 

What are you talking about I totally agree, you are correct in your opinion this away from the users.
I am finding that ANTIVIRUS ESET does not have TELEMETRY to identify all these problems.
The worst thing is that the updates of the product problem fixes take a long time to get out to the END user, that's because we pay dearly for the product, so much so that competitors like KASPERSKY products are very cheap and have several promotions and even more has FREE antivirus.
I am finding that ESET is unable to work faster.

19 hours ago, peteyt said:

Weird eset kept telling me advanced os logging was on during the update 

Next time this updating issue occurs, use a network connections monitor to ensure ekrn.exe has a solid connection to port 8883. You can use Eset's Network Connections tool or TCPView. I prefer TCPView since it will show if there are sync issues with the connection to port 8883, ekrn.exe is trying to establish. Eset uses port 8883 with fallback to port 443 for Push Notifications. If there are issues with getting that connection, it will cause this bork Eset updating behavior some are experiencing.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
22 hours ago, Marcos said:

So I have attached again and taken screenshots to show that the Advanced OS part was enabled. However when the update was finished I went to turn both off to find the only one enabled was the advanced update log. I have also selected all as unsure why EsetPerf.etl - Does the log collector need to be run from inside the Eset program folder as I've just been running it from my download folder? 

I should note this update was a lot quicker so not sure if the logs will be that helpful but you never know. There was also an error mentioned at the end of generating the log - had a look, something was too big to be included.

https://easyupload.io/8x5ci2 Password is ESET (all caps)

Eset Advanced OS Logging.jpg

Eset Log.jpg

• Most Valued Members
18 hours ago, itman said:

Next time this updating issue occurs, use a network connections monitor to ensure ekrn.exe has a solid connection to port 8888. You can use Eset's Network Connections tool or TCPView. I prefer TCPView since it will show if there are sync issues with the connection to port 8888, ekrn.exe is trying to establish. Eset uses port 8888 with fallback to port 443 for Push Notifications. If there are issues with getting that connection, it will cause this bork Eset updating behavior some are experiencing.

I downloaded it but was setting logging up so didn't have time to run it during the update - Should erkn.exe show the remote port as always 8888 as mine is 8883

• Administrators

There was no EsetPerf.etl in the Diagnostics folder. If you enable , click OK to save settings and disable it after a few seconds, is there really no EsetPerf.etl in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics created?

• Most Valued Members
13 minutes ago, Marcos said:

There was no EsetPerf.etl in the Diagnostics folder. If you enable , click OK to save settings and disable it after a few seconds, is there really no EsetPerf.etl in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics created?

That might be the warning - it is 4.07 GB in size. I can upload it or would it be best to delete the file and re-do the logs on the next update? Was created on the 2nd September and last modified today

43 minutes ago, peteyt said:

I downloaded it but was setting logging up so didn't have time to run it during the update - Should erkn.exe show the remote port as always 8888 as mine is 8883

Sorry, it was a typo on my part. It should show port 8883.

Also and again if there are ekrn.exe issues with syncing of Push Notifications, port 8883 will show for a while and then be dropped in a repetitive loop. TCPView will actually show this activity in that "Sync" with be shown in its Status column with "Established" connection status never being shown.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, peteyt said:

That might be the warning - it is 4.07 GB in size. I can upload it or would it be best to delete the file and re-do the logs on the next update? Was created on the 2nd September and last modified today

Yes, EsetPerf.etl can be huge; it can grow to gigabytes in minutes, hence we recommend keeping the logging enabled only for a short time. You can compress the file, upload it to a storage location and pm me a download link, we'll see if there's something interesting, such as a high CPU load logged.

• Most Valued Members

Will try and post the file in a few days. Did post these the other day or so I thought but it seems to have never been sent

• Most Valued Members
On 9/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, Marcos said:

Yes, EsetPerf.etl can be huge; it can grow to gigabytes in minutes, hence we recommend keeping the logging enabled only for a short time. You can compress the file, upload it to a storage location and pm me a download link, we'll see if there's something interesting, such as a high CPU load logged.

https://easyupload.io/an7iw8 sorry for the delay - not sure if this will be any good, but I've also recently updated Eset to the latest beta and will also monitor that to see if the behaviour has changed.

ESET is the password

Edited by peteyt

• Administrators
12 hours ago, peteyt said:

https://easyupload.io/an7iw8 sorry for the delay - not sure if this will be any good, but I've also recently updated Eset to the latest beta and will also monitor that to see if the behaviour has changed.

From what situation was this log?

The CPU load seems to be ok, moreover, there is a handful of other processes that were taking more CPU than ekrn:

image.png

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Marcos said:

From what situation was this log?

The CPU load seems to be ok, moreover, there is a handful of other processes that were taking more CPU than ekrn:

image.png

The problem was that the update was taking ages and slowing stuff down. I think the file had merged a couple of ones. Going to delete it and then try again if the issue occurs