Jump to content

Windows 7, date protection term


Recommended Posts

Good morning.

I have ESET NOD32 installed on Windows 7.

There is this alarm: "This product will no longer be supported on your outdated Microsoft Windows version. Shortly, your device will no longer be protected."

I wanted to know if there is a certain date for the end of protection on Windows 7.

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Windows 7 SP1 is still fully supported providing that Windows updates adding support for SHA-2 code signing are installed.

However, since Microsoft stopped releasing security updates for this OS long ago, the OS cannot be considered safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Windows 7 SP1 is still fully supported providing that Windows updates adding support for SHA-2 code signing are installed.

However, since Microsoft stopped releasing security updates for this OS long ago, the OS cannot be considered safe.

So, It's better change antivirus immediately?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Pas7o said:

So, It's better change antivirus immediately?

I was referring to Windows. From security point of view you should not stay on Windows 7 but upgrade to Windows 10 or migrate to Linux.

ESET will continue to work on Windows 7 providing that you have SP1 installed as well as the appropriate updates that add SHA-2 code signing support.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

I was referring to Windows. From security point of view you should not stay on Windows 7 but upgrade to Windows 10 or migrate to Linux.

ESET will continue to work on Windows 7 providing that you have SP1 installed as well as the appropriate updates that add SHA-2 code signing support.

I can't upload OS because my laptop doesn't support Windows 10.

Can SHA-2 updates ends?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pas7o said:

Can SHA-2 updates ends?

If you're asking where you can download the noted Win 7 SHA-2 updates since it can no longer be done via Win Updates for Win 7, you must do so via the the Microsoft Update Catalog web site. Use the below posted links. Ensure you download the correct updates based on what version of Win 7; x86 - 32 bit or x64 - 64 bit, you have installed.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4474419

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=4490628

It is also possible that during the installation of the servicing stack update, KB4490628, issues may arise. Therefore, read this first: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-march-12-2019-b4dc0cff-d4f2-a408-0cb1-cb8e918feeba , prior to installing KB4490628.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, itman said:

If you're asking where you can download the noted Win 7 SHA-2 updates since it can no longer be done via Win Updates for Win 7, you must do so via the the Microsoft Update Catalog web site. Use the below posted links. Ensure you download the correct updates based on what version of Win 7; x86 - 32 bit or x64 - 64 bit, you have installed.

hxxp://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4474419

hxxp://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=4490628

It is also possible that during the installation of the servicing stack update, KB4490628, issues may arise. Therefore, read this first: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-march-12-2019-b4dc0cff-d4f2-a408-0cb1-cb8e918feeba , prior to installing KB4490628.

I didn't understand. Win 7 SHA-2 updates are still avaible by Windows Update now?

If yes, for how long (I need a firm date!)?

If no, I must download them from Microsoft Catalog, right?

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Pas7o said:

I didn't understand. Win 7 SHA-2 updates are still avaible by Windows Update now?

If yes, for how long (I need a firm date!)?

If no, I must download them from Microsoft Catalog, right?

Thanks.

The update itself isn't going down it is Windows 7 In general that isn't supported anymore by Microsoft. As long as you have the updates mentioned above Eset will continue to work but your computer could still be at risk as Microsoft no longer fixes security issues now that support is over

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pas7o said:

I didn't understand. Win 7 SHA-2 updates are still avaible by Windows Update now?

No. Since Win 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, updates are not available via in-product Win Updates feature.

7 hours ago, Pas7o said:

If no, I must download them from Microsoft Catalog, right?

Correct. The only way to receive any available Win 7 updates not currently installed is via Windows Update Catalog web site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I have just read this topic. My Nod32 is 12.x for window$7. It can't update to the latest version 14.x

I won't update it (w$). Question will Nod32 still be able to download antivirus databases.

 

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Please make sure that you have SP1 as well as updates adding SHA-2 code signing support KB4474419 and KB4490628 installed.

V12 already reached EoL and will stop receiving module updates soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, fidelius2 said:

I have just read this topic. My Nod32 is 12.x for window$7. It can't update to the latest version 14.x

I won't update it (w$). Question will Nod32 still be able to download antivirus databases.

 

Thank you.

As mentioned eventually support for 12 will end. Problem is as I mentioned above OS's that are out of support by Microsoft are risky because bugs and security holes don't get patched so even with an AV you are still potentially at risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...