Product Version Status : Agents Outdated

Within the Security Management Center, I have a widget on my dashboard that shows a graph with the number of up-to-date and outdated Agent, Endpoint and Server. If I select on the Endpoint and choose to Update installed ESET products, it works fine but if I select on the Agent graph and select Update Installed ESET products here it gives me a message stating: "No ESET products that can be updated automatically have been found." Why is this?

I have to either go through all of my endpoints to figure out which ones need upgrading or simply set a server task to update them all, which I don't like doing.

When setting up a new PC, I initially install the Agent & AV from a single file that I downloaded from my Security Management Center and push it out with PDQ Deploy. Could this be the reason? When creating the installable, I enter all of the correction information.

Would it cause issues for us if when the time came to update ESET software, I simply updated the Security Management Center ESET server install then create, configure and download the single installable file and push it out to each PC/server myself (as in with PDQ Deploy or other means) or is this method not recommended.

I'm just trying to get an idea as to how many here handle their ESET product updates.

We are currently on the following versions:

Security Management Center: 7.2.1266

Agent: 7.0577 --> 7.2.1266

File Security: 7.1.12006

Endpoint AV: 7.0.2073.1 --> 7.3.2039

Most endpoints are updated with the latest but I've run into issues updating some.

Kindest Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Marcos, updating via task is easy enough, but it would be useful if you could simply click on the outdated agents list in the dashboard and the update the management agent. Currently, you always get a message saying that no products that can be updated automatically can be found.

Additionally, it's time-consuming to go through the list of PCs and match up the hosts that need to be updated while excluding the hosts that already are, especially since you can't sort the older version list by host name and have to export to csv, open in Excel, and replace the "spol. s r.o.;7.X.XXX.X;"  string with nothing to get a sortable host name.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong? What happens if a host already has the latest version? Will it re-install and require a reboot or will it skip that host?

Edited by sreece

I completely agree sreece! 

I see no reason as to why we just can't click on the outdated agents in the dashboard and have it update them. I have to export a list of outdated agents then go back and add them to a task to push out the updates. Seems like a bug to me.

Again, I'm seeing the same things you are.  I haven't tried pushing out a new agent to all of my devices regardless of version. I wasn't sure if it would cause a problem or not.

1 hour ago, sreece said:

it would be useful if you could simply click on the outdated agents list in the dashboard and the update the management agent. Currently, you always get a message saying that no products that can be updated automatically can be found.

I couldn't agree more. This is one of my big pet peeves with ESET!!

3 hours ago, sreece said:

Additionally, it's time-consuming to go through the list of PCs and match up the hosts that need to be updated while excluding the hosts that already are, especially since you can't sort the older version list by host name and have to export to csv, open in Excel, and replace the "spol. s r.o.;7.X.XXX.X;"  string with nothing to get a sortable host name.

Create a Dynamic Group template for the older ESET version, to find your computers with the old version installed. Example template values below. Then create a Dynamic Group that uses that template to find the computers with the old agent. You could even create an agent install task to run in that dynamic group daily. Or just push the new agent install version to all or some in that group manually. You can create a similar dynamic group for the newer agent version to see the computers with the new version installed.

Installed software . Application vendor   =   ESET, spol. s r.o.   
Installed software . Application version contains 7.2.2

• Administrators

Updating the management agent from the dashboard is already possible in ECA and we're going to bring this feature to ESMC in the upcoming version that is planned for Q4/2020.

Updating the management agent from the dashboard is already possible in ECA and we're going to bring this feature to ESMC in the upcoming version that is planned for Q4/2020.

I'm able to go into the detailed view and update them one at a time, but I can't seem to select all hosts in the list. How do I update all clients with outdated management agents from the dashboard?

On 10/2/2020 at 6:46 PM, sreece said:

I'm able to go into the detailed view and update them one at a time, but I can't seem to select all hosts in the list. How do I update all clients with outdated management agents from the dashboard?

Don't use the dashboard to update your ESMC Agent. Just simply create your ESMC component upgrade task as mentioned above. Test this task on a number of computers to make sure it works as expected, then add the group All to this task. Computers that were already upgraded before will not be upgraded again. Get yourself a big mug of coffee while you wait for the agents to update.

• ESET Staff
On 10/2/2020 at 6:46 PM, sreece said:

Unfortunately I am not sure we think on the same, but in case:

• by agent you mean "ESET Management Agent" installed on client machine, you have to follow steps @Dionyzus mentioned in previous comment
  • in case by agent you mean ESET security software installed on client machine (i.e. ESET Endpoint Antivirus, ...), you can use one-click actions available also on dashboards. There are various places where "Update ESET products" action is triggered, where two of the most common are visible in following topic: