'Protocol filtering is disabled' alert with ALL application statuses disabled

Kumi

I use Adguard For Windows, which already does an admirable job of filtering all my browser traffic, and I don't use email applications. Therefore it's in my best interest to disable protocol filtering so I don't have to whitelist a website in two separate programs.

However, ever since 11.1, the ability to disable the alert for having protocol filtering disabled has been broken. I submitted it via the bug report system, but to my chagrin it never got any sort of response. I upgraded to the beta version, 11.2, in hopes that it would be fixed there, but no such luck.

Here are pictures as proof. I have every single application status disabled here just to rule them all out as a factor...

image.png.ace4ae30f40dc7bafd9f0d2550f7f7eb.png

And then I, of course, hit OK and then OK again... and this is what I see as my home screen.

image.png.5ccc9f2403fe2f9e13a3ac25b1b705b0.png

Other features that are disabled do not show an alert, but protocol filtering does. There does not seem to be any way around this.

Please fix it.

• Administrators

Not sure if it was ever possible to disable notifications about disabled protocol filtering in Application statuses. Nevertheless, I strongly recommend keeping the protocol filtering and http(s) scanning enabled no matter what other software you use. I don't think that any 3rd party software could protect you from 100% Internet-borne threats so that you could afford disabling this protection. Also since ESET products consist of modules that communicate with each other and may use information from other modules, it's another reason for not disabling it.

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Although it's possible to disable these statuses under User interface -> Application statuses, I strongly recommend keeping the protocol filtering and http(s) scanning enabled no matter what other software you use. I don't think that any 3rd party software could protect you from 100% Internet-borne threats so that you could afford disabling this protection.

I appreciate your concern, but I am still not interested in this feature. I would like to be able to have it disabled without the program bothering me about it.

There is a place to disable the alert, but it no longer works as you can see in the OP. It worked prior to the 11.1 upgrade.

Please fix it.

Edited by Kumi

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I have v11.1.54 and it's not possible to disable this notification either.

Yes... that's why I said prior to 11.1. As in, the ability to disable this particular alert was working in 11.0 versions.

And as you can see, the labels for disabling this alert clearly indicate 'protocol filtering' is a part of them. The fact that it is not performing what it is supposed to do, as clearly shown, is a legitimate issue.

image.png.cdd7fc98baaaa6125fd3e8a801d478ca.png

Edited by Kumi
Clarification

• Administrators

By the way, my understanding is that Adguard works only as a browser extension. Is that correct? In such case, it won't check the http(s) communication of other processes and therefore it cannot protect you completely from Internet-borne threats.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

By the way, my understanding is that Adguard works only as a browser extension. Is that correct? In such case, it won't check the http(s) communication of other processes and therefore it cannot protect you completely from Internet-borne threats.

Your understanding is incorrect. There is a full version, paid software, that launches as a Windows executable, and it hooks onto processes.

I am not interested in talking any further about AdGuard. I want the developers to address this specific issue regardless of my setup.

Edited by Kumi
Trying my best to be absolutely crystal clear.

• ESET Insiders

I think it's a good idea to give an option to turn off the alert since some users use another programs to do that part

Also AdGuard have a windows version that check HTTPS too

Try excluding apps such as your browser from Eset protocol filtering as shown in the below screen shot. That should eliminated the Eset warnings about Protocol Filtering being disabled that you are objecting to.

Eset_Protocol_Scanning.thumb.png.9fb38fc0ebbdfa59970f245d33ebecd0.png

1 minute ago, itman said:

Try excluding apps such as your browser from Eset protocol filtering as shown in the below screen shot. That should eliminated the Eset warnings about Protocol Filtering being disabled that you are objecting to.

Eset_Protocol_Scanning.thumb.png.9fb38fc0ebbdfa59970f245d33ebecd0.png

I'm aware of the feature. But it is hardly ideal to have to add all the applications I use on each computer I use.

1 minute ago, Kumi said:

I'm aware of the feature. But it is hardly ideal to have to add all the applications I use on each computer I use.

Create the exclusions once. Then export your Eset settings. Then import settings on each device where like Eset software is installed.

Assumed is all your Eset existing settings for each device are the same. 

Just now, itman said:

Create the exclusions once. Then export your Eset settings. Then import settings on each device where like Eset software is installed.

Assumed is all your Eset existing settings for each device are the same. 

Not even close to the same settings, no.

3 hours ago, BALTAGY said:

I think it's a good idea to give an option to turn off the alert since some users use another programs to do that part

Also AdGuard have a windows version that check HTTPS too

Btw, AdGuard should be compatible with ESET’s HTTPS scanning

From AdGuard version history

version 6.1.331.1732

[Fixed] Compatibility with KIS/ESET #1565

Adguard used to have compatibility issues with such antivirus software like Kaspersky and ESET. Users had to seek for compromises: disabling SSL scanning in antivirus, disabling WFP driver or even HTTPS filtering in Adguard. The core of the problem was the WFP network driver incompatibility, and we had had plans to develop a new driver for what now seems like an eternity.

We'd already claimed to have this fixed in the previous releases, but things turned out to be more complicated. We've come through countless iterations, test builds, and driver updates, and now we are confident enough to say that this time the problem is fixed for real. No more BSODs and other funny stuff when you run Adguard alongside with KIS or ESET.

It's not a compatibility issue. I just don't need two pieces of software performing the same function. I don't want to have to whitelist a website on two different programs

I don't understand why there has to be a discussion about something that used to work and unintentionally doesn't now. It's a bug report, I just want the application status settings fixed.

• Administrators

It's been tracked as bug/improvement.

Anyways, I'd recommend anybody who considers disabling protocol filtering or HTTP scanning to watch the attached video to better understand that it's not a good idea to disable web scanning completely even if more web scanners are installed.

Adguard_vs_ESET.rar

Adguard's "bad mouthing" on their forum of AV's SSL protocol scanning methods probably has a lot to do with this believe it alone is adequate protection. In reality, the research articles published on the subject show Adguard as worse or in some studies worse in in breaking SSL/TLS protection mechanisms.

Edited by itman