Disabled option to restart ERA Agent service

Since ERA Agent 6.3 was released there is no option to restart EraAgentSvc service. Will this be available with next versions again? It was very usefull in some situations.

• ESET Staff

Since ERA Agent 6.3 was released there is no option to restart EraAgentSvc service. Will this be available with next versions again? It was very usefull in some situations.

It is a feature (part of self-defense) and I do not expect it to be removed. Could you be more specific about situations that required AGENT to be restarted? It should have no impact on most AGENT's operations, except maybe "fixing" potential problems.

Exactly - fixing potential problems. From time to time we had issues with "Windows Security Center indicates that the feature is not installed or is not running properly." Just restarting agent remotly helped in that cases. It is happening very rare but still it was very quick solution.

• 6 months later...
  • ESET Staff

We are currently evaluating a new method of "push-like notifications", that might be used to wake-up agents / force connection to ERA. However, internet connectivity might be needed for such functionality to work correctly. Would this be acceptable solution?

We are currently evaluating a new method of "push-like notifications", that might be used to wake-up agents / force connection to ERA. However, internet connectivity might be needed for such functionality to work correctly. Would this be acceptable solution?

Hey MichalJ

In my case, I used the "restart Service"-method of the Agent-Service for updating policies, think like GPUPDATE.

Now, when your "push"-method also pulls the new policies - that would be great. It should be like the "update" Button to update signatures.

thank you

Don't know the technical details but wouldn't that require either constant connection or polling at specified intervals? doesn't sound like a good idea for corporate firewalls.

How about some kind of management mode? for instance when you switch on management mode(provide a way on both server side and client side, obviously on server side this is like setting the 60 second policy), then Agent will force it's connection interval at 60 seconds, then automatically revert back to the original connection interval after 1 hour or something, in case people forget to unset it. In fact this would be a good idea for deployment too, make management mode the default and have a sensible default connection interval like 10 minutes. I've seen many people not applying connection interval policies and left it on default(I believe Agent default is 20 seconds) even when they have already deployed hundreds of clients.

Edited by RyanTsai

Command line arguments for agent on client side would be better option in my opinion. Having internet connection for client connection reset seems ok I guess for future cloud version ;)

• ESET Staff

Don't know the technical details but wouldn't that require either constant connection or polling at specified intervals? doesn't sound like a good idea for corporate firewalls.

How about some kind of management mode? for instance when you switch on management mode(provide a way on both server side and client side, obviously on server side this is like setting the 60 second policy), then Agent will force it's connection interval at 60 seconds, then automatically revert back to the original connection interval after 1 hour or something, in case people forget to unset it. In fact this would be a good idea for deployment too, make management mode the default and have a sensible default connection interval like 10 minutes. I've seen many people not applying connection interval policies and left it on default(I believe Agent default is 20 seconds) even when they have already deployed hundreds of clients.

This is something we do have planned for the future versions (not ERA 6.5). Basically implementing a logic IFTTT (if this then that). It would allow us to specify policies with a set expiration, and other things. Also some local interface for agent, allowing to do certain operations over agent is being evaluated for future versions.