Eset SS v6 DELAYS my internet!

I moved this over from Wilders forum to here because I had been away.  I hope this is ok.

Here is the problem

I had been using the latest ESS version 5 series on my Win 7x64 machine. Worked perfect!!!!!

I let version 6 go through many updates, and finally I said time to upgrade to version 6.

The UPGRADE went terrible. It told me to reboot, and the installation would continue. I would get half an installation, half the program running, just a wild mess.

Finally I did the special uninstall tool. Did a fresh ESS 6 install and got it working.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT BIG NEW PROBLEM now.

Now after my machine boots, the internet is delayed. Startup programs aren't getting the internet they need. Ever after everything is booted up, it takes a couple minutes for the internet to be active. Never NEVER a problem like this with version 5.

What is going on? Is there some option I can change? It is such a nuisance, and I hope I do NOT HEAR that it's a new safety feature.

My machine is very fast, an I7 with 8GB and a SSD drive. Speed is NOT the issue either.

Please help.

MARCOS you say to do this:   IT IDID NOT HELP.  I wish it did tho! :)

Does changing firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols" in the advanced setup make a difference? If it does, change it back to "All features active", enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup and restart the computer. If the issue occurs, check the firewall log for more information about blocked connections and post the recent records here.

Like I said, this did not help.

So here is a log with my settings restored that is attached,.

firewall.txt

• Administrators

Couldn't it be that you enabled Parental control but DNS requests are not getting through? Does disabling Parental Control or Web protection make a difference?

Couldn't it be that you enabled Parental control but DNS requests are not getting through? Does disabling Parental Control or Web protection make a difference?

Parental control is not being using and it is disabled.

• Administrators

Ok, so what about disabling Web protection or firewall via gui or Protocol filtering in the advanced setup?

Well after 3 reboots, I am sorry to report none of those 3 options helped.

Just to add to description:

The network icon in the lower right that we are all familiar with looks like this during the process

It goes to a quick red x over it

Then back to a blue circle spinning for a few seconds

then back to a red x for a long time

a quick blue circle over it again

a quick red x

then to a yellow triangle (at this point hovering over it says I am connected to network)

then finally back to looking normal and I have internet

I did a little more testing.  I booted into safe mode with networking.

IT also had this SAME issue.  Is ESS active in safe mode? (or at least a portion of it?)

So do you think somehow the ESS removal tool damaged my network drivers somehow?  Doesn't exactly make sense though since the internet and network eventually work.

All I know is with ESS v5 I did not have this problem at all.

AFAIK, ESS will be completely disabled in Safe Mode, I might be wrong though.

The best way to isolate this issue is to perform a clean Windows installation on a different partition and dual-boot, then test your network and internet there before and after installing ESS, this may take about an hour or less to do but it will give you peace of mind instead of wasting hours testing small different things.

My $0.02, good luck.

Edited by TGW

• Administrators

Does changing firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" make a difference? If not, try uninstalling ESS completely. I assume it won't make any difference either.

Ronxp2000,

Did you get your issue fixed or are you still fighting the good fight ?

It sounds to me like your tcpip protocoll might be corrupted.

You can try the following to reset your protocoll :

Open a command prompt, click start and then type CMD in the search programs and files.

Right click cmd and choose "Run as Administrator"

Type the following command which uses the net shell utility

"netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"

Also winsock might need to be reset as well with : "netsh winsock reset"

winsock is for network services...

It will also create a log you can view for troubleshooting information  and post back here if still unresolved.

Also if unresolved we might need to look at your adapter settings, maybe you could screen shot some of those as well.

It almost sounds like maybe your dns server settings are not set right and maybe the correct one is the 2nd or 3rd option.

I know this seems to be an eset install or uninstall issue, but its also indicative of dhcp issues as well.

Hope we can figure it out.

Good luck

Edited by Arakasi

Ronxp2000,

Did you get your issue fixed or are you still fighting the good fight ?

It sounds to me like your tcpip protocoll might be corrupted.

You can try the following to reset your protocoll :

Open a command prompt, click start and then type CMD in the search programs and files.

Right click cmd and choose "Run as Administrator"

Type the following command which uses the net shell utility

"netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"

Also winsock might need to be reset as well with : "netsh winsock reset"

winsock is for network services...

It will also create a log you can view for troubleshooting information  and post back here if still unresolved.

Also if unresolved we might need to look at your adapter settings, maybe you could screen shot some of those as well.

It almost sounds like maybe your dns server settings are not set right and maybe the correct one is the 2nd or 3rd option.

I know this seems to be an eset install or uninstall issue, but its also indicative of dhcp issues as well.

Hope we can figure it out.

Good luck

None of that worked.   That is the commands we used back in the ole days to restore XP and Workgroup problems, as well as the direct intent of the commands as you suggested.  Anyway, it was a failure.

You understand I have internet and it works correct?  It's just the delay during boot up as explained.  Just making sure is all.  As for network settings, I have changed nothing.  It is what ever ESS 6 and it's uninstall tool and the installation done to my system.

I eagerly await help, thanks so far so very much.

Ron

Another user, has explained the problem doesnt exist in ver 5, could possible swich to that as a temp. fix as im sure Eset is working on an update as well.

I am assisting him with troubleshooting currently.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/746-ess-6-startupnetwork-trouble/

Waiting on his event logs to determine what is causing the issue related to ess firewall.

Good day !

Ron

Another user, has explained the problem doesnt exist in ver 5, could possible swich to that as a temp. fix as im sure Eset is working on an update as well.

Waiting on his event logs to determine what is causing the issue related to ess firewall.

Good day !

Yes I know version 5 would be fine, as before I upgraded to version 6, version 5 did not have that problem.   I am patient though, and can deal with the problem momentarily, in hopes of a proper fix.   I really like Eset protection, but since version 4 there has just been so many firewall and network issues with so many people.   I have always been able to overcome these issues if I had them.   I think one day I just may revert to plain Eset AV, and use Windows firewall or something similar.

Ron

Good day !

Yes I know version 5 would be fine, as before I upgraded to version 6, version 5 did not have that problem.   I am patient though, and can deal with the problem momentarily, in hopes of a proper fix.   I really like Eset protection, but since version 4 there has just been so many firewall and network issues with so many people.   I have always been able to overcome these issues if I had them.   I think one day I just may revert to plain Eset AV, and use Windows firewall or something similar.

Not to bash on ESS, but i have never used security suites on my personal machines. ( i have also never had issues because of it )

You may be heading in a beneficial direction ! :)

In fact, going back to before i even heard of Eset, " I never downloaded or installed security suites from any anti virus company on any of my desktops "

I am usually contempt with my router firewall (physical firewall or similar) - and the standard AV engine with real time protection. ( I used Threat fire from pc tools before av companies starting adding heuristics and zero day detection )

I now use Cylance which is a company being managed by Stuart Mcclure who pulled his team from McAfee.

This is not a replacement for general AV and security like Nod32, but a second level of protection like threat fire was.

Good luck, and if i hear of this issue resolving itself, i will pass the info along to this thread or similar to help you out !

:)

I don't want to discourage ESET, but I think it is time to overhaul the network/internet interface for the firewall.

I wish Eset the best.  They have a proven track record for me, with great and superior protection when it comes to AV protection.  Firewall and networking, it is great or troublesome depending on the machine.

I don't want to discourage ESET, but I think it is time to overhaul the network/internet interface for the firewall.

I wish Eset the best.  They have a proven track record for me, with great and superior protection when it comes to AV protection.  Firewall and networking, it is great or troublesome depending on the machine.

I totally agree with you. I use SS since version 4 and I had never problems with viruses. From the other hand, every now and then I have serious problems with the firewall/network.

• Administrators

What do you dislike about the firewall? In my opinion, the interface is very clear and straightforward, much easier to control compared to some other firewalls. Of course, there's still room for improvement like in any software product but personally I don't miss a thing when it comes to features.

What do you dislike about the firewall? In my opinion, the interface is very clear and straightforward, much easier to control compared to some other firewalls. Of course, there's still room for improvement like in any software product but personally I don't miss a thing when it comes to features.

I dont think they mean against gui or interface, or strength / protection, including options;

but more or less compaibility with os versions , patches, other software, and different network setups etc.

Although i am assuming based on reporting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Filip Maliarik

I did a little more testing.  I booted into safe mode with networking.

IT also had this SAME issue.  Is ESS active in safe mode? (or at least a portion of it?)

So do you think somehow the ESS removal tool damaged my network drivers somehow?  Doesn't exactly make sense though since the internet and network eventually work.

All I know is with ESS v5 I did not have this problem at all.

Hello guys,

If issue is present in Safe mode, ESS or any other product is not involved at all.

None of our network drivers are active in Safe mode.

• 1 month later...

So no fix then?  I get similar issue with the blue circle endlessly at start up delaying access to anything until my machine becomes responsive a couple of minutes later.  Again a fast machine 2.67GHz processor overclocked to 3.6GHz  and 6GB triple ddr memory and running O/S from WDC WD1600AAJS-22L7A0 ATA hard drive.

My renewal will be coming up soon.  I'm not having another there years of this and will have to revert to windows firewall if it's not fixed.  Been thinking about that anyway.