Latest update for Smart Security crashes application

Today, after restoring an image with a valid trial version of Smart Security, the subsequent (automatic) update crashed the application.

'Unable to read firewall configuration'. Or something similar.

The firewall seemed to be missing in the menu/GUI ! For the most part the GUI was responsive. In some cases the firewall appeared to be working, in at least one case it did not.

I did not record more elaborate error numbers or messages, but that was basically what happened.

WIN XP SP3, fully updated.

It was quite frustrating to restore an image several times while encountering this very issue every single time !

Obviously I'm running something else right now.

I was thinking of buying this product, but not right now ...

I should add that I experienced an Eset service error (sorry, no details).

This has happened several times during the past few days, in particular while trying to access my mail through Outlook Express.

I have been dealing with the same challenge.  Last week I went through many hours of work and got it working and this morning it happened again.  Seems when I call up Outlook2010 first thing in morning it starts the process of not finding the firewall.

I have been with ESET for many, many years and I don't have time to send in reports so I sadly have gone to another product after about 8 or so years with ESET/Nod32.           KOR-

I have been dealing with the same challenge.  Last week I went through many hours of work and got it working and this morning it happened again.  Seems when I call up Outlook2010 first thing in morning it starts the process of not finding the firewall.

I have been with ESET for many, many years and I don't have time to send in reports so I sadly have gone to another product after about 8 or so years with ESET/Nod32.           KOR-

Kor -

That is a very long time to stay dedicated, and i am truly sorry for your troubles.

I know you mentioned time is an issue, however on behalf of Eset i would be willing to help you out for at no cost to you one evening if you wanted to try and resolve that issue.

I know you stated you switched to something else, and my throat dropped when you mentioned that, for the fact i know there is not much better. Would be interested in knowing what you switched to in a PM.

As far as helping, i have been an IT technician for 17 years with background and experience in some of the largest companies in the world today.

I would gladly remote into your box and get you fixed up, granted the issue was not an eset product flaw, which i have my doubts. (call it faith).

Good day KOR :)

@KOR and Flew!

I had the exact same problem, and I wanted to find out if I would see the error in the V7 Beta so I uninstalled V5 that I had the error with and made sure no drivers were left behind, and installed the latest Beta build (104) of V7, and FYI, THE FIREWALL ERROR IS GONE!

So what ever it was that went wrong with maybe an VSD or Module update, the Firewall works OK in V7 now.

I still have no idea why it started just like that. But since the three of us use Win XP SP3 the problem must be connected to XP SP3 somehow, maybe not SP3 but at least to XP. The service pack may not play a role at all but we don't know that as all of us use SP3.

Edited by SweX

SweX  !!!!

Save the day !!!

Kudos 3 times to you sir !

I hope the both of them check back.

Thank you very much for your research and feedback !

SweX  !!!!

Save the day !!!

Kudos 3 times to you sir !

I hope the both of them check back.

Thank you very much for your research and feedback !

Haha, same to you Sir.

Yeah they could have tried the V7 Beta before changing vendors, I would not count this as a major issue as the rest of the product worked as expected. And since it came so unexpected out of the blue, but for me it's not too hard to pinpoint it down to one thing knowing that I had not done any Windows updates, driver updates installed/uninstalled any softwares. So that only leaves ESET as the only software that have received updates in terms of VSD's and module updates. So that's were we stand I guess :)

Eset can't expect people to switch to the beta if their current release is malfunctioning !

A beta is a beta, intended for testing.

Can't they just fix the update ? Whenever (yesterday) I restored the image it was fine at first, only after downloading the update the problems started.

However, the service error when accessing Outlook Express had been occuring for a few days. That was probably the reason I decided to install a 'clean and stable' image !

Eset can't expect people to switch to the beta if their current release is malfunctioning !

A beta is a beta, intended for testing.

Can't they just fix the update ? Whenever (yesterday) I restored the image it was fine at first, only after downloading the update the problems started.

However, the service error when accessing Outlook Express had been occuring for a few days. That was probably the reason I decided to install a 'clean and stable' image !

I agree about what you are saying, but if it's not there in V7 for me it may not be there for you either.

What update exactly are you talking about an normal VSD update, or a particular module update?  I used Pre-release when it started to happen, but I haven't enabled them yet in the V7 Beta to be on the safe side.

Edited by SweX

I would also like to add that ESET's beta's are a little different then other companies and beta versions of games etc. afaik

version 7 is a borderline full working beta with not just new features, but "improvements and fixes".

Your license should carry over as well, mine did.

In due time the actual 7 will be released as well.

Would love to hear this service error with your email program as well ?!?

Maybe we can troubleshoot it back to whence it came.

• Administrators

We've found out that the recent Internet protection module 1073 might have caused ekrn crashes on systems powered by CPUs from 2001 and older (2004 and older for AMD CPUs). Updating to the latest version of Internet protection module 1076 should solve the issue.

We've found out that the recent Internet protection module 1073 might have caused ekrn crashes on systems powered by CPUs from 2001 and older (2004 and older for AMD CPUs). Updating to the latest version of Internet protection module 1076 should solve the issue.

Thank you Marcos !!

Thank you Marcos.  I am using another product at present and although it's ok, it is not ESET. I am not giving up.  KOR-

Well here I am again.  I got rid of the other security program and did an install of v6.  I still get the notice that the firewall is not being recognized.  It did recognize it for a few minutes and then a windows update icon appeared but no updates as I had them installed yesterday.  (every time I get this firewall disappearance that windows update shield has been showing)  

I have a very old computer and run XP fully undated.  

The control panel states that ESET firewall is running but when I open ESET to check on the systems running it only has the anti-virus showing and the icon is RED stating that the firewall is off and that I do not have full protection.

I see I have internet protection module 1076.  KOR- 

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

You are running Microsoft Windows XP, correct? If so, a reboot may be required for the changes to appear in ESET Smart Security's user interface (that's a guess on my part, but it should allow the GUI to re-initialize, which should then report the correct status of the ESET Personal Firewall module).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Well here I am again.  I got rid of the other security program and did an install of v6.  I still get the notice that the firewall is not being recognized.  It did recognize it for a few minutes and then a windows update icon appeared but no updates as I had them installed yesterday.  (every time I get this firewall disappearance that windows update shield has been showing)  

The control panel states that ESET firewall is running but when I open ESET to check on the systems running it only has the anti-virus showing and the icon is RED stating that the firewall is off and that I do not have full protection.

Thank you for your response......I did many, many reboots. Nothing has helped and so I did a complete uninstall, deep uninstall. Went for V7 beta. New problems and will place them in the beta forum. KOR-

Hello,

You are running Microsoft Windows XP, correct? If so, a reboot may be required for the changes to appear in ESET Smart Security's user interface (that's a guess on my part, but it should allow the GUI to re-initialize, which should then report the correct status of the ESET Personal Firewall module).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

If you are still experiencing this issue, can you please provide the following informaion:

Version of ESET Smart Security:

Version of Internet protection module:

Operating System and SP level:

Type of network connection:

Brand and model of network adapter:

Thank you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am not experiencing the exact same issue. However, today after restoring an image I got an Eset service error.

Once after checking my mail with Outlook Express. Two or three times after either updating, booting the computer or browsing the internet. I'm not exactly sure. After the first error (very soon after restoring the image) I deleted the temp files and such, rebooted, followed by more Eset service errors. No dissappearing Eset security center this time, or missing firewall.

Trying to download MS updates was troublesome to say the least, but that may have nothing to do with Eset. In the end I gave up on downloading the updates.

Eset Smart Security 6.0.316.0, internet protection module 1076, Windows XP SP3 updated till July, wireless/router, Sitecom wl-302

Not to be to forward, but your images may be Corrupted.

If you dont have any hardware problems, should be tested...

Then you should really consider backing up your data, and scrapping the images your restoring to.

Wipe and reload Flew. your problems are going to go away.

No one else has these issues AFAIK.

Its corrupted drivers and windows files, or bad hardware.

Or compatibility between other programs.

But the windows update failing after restoring an image ????? Bad image. Or wups is bonked. See wups

I hope i don't seem to negative, but a lot of this just doesnt seem natural or normal.

I say this with the utmost respect, and a high interest to see your issues gone and as a happy Eset user. B)

Edited by Arakasi