Free Eset Antivirus?

tullball

Will there be a free Eset antivirus in the future?

Because Avast is free

www.avast.com

AVG is free

hxxp://www.avg.com/ww-en/homepage

Lavasoft is free

hxxp://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Panda Antivirus is free

hxxp://download.cnet.com/Panda-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10914099.html

So I am just wondering when are you guys gonna join the free AV market????

Like give out a free antivirus and then make firewall and those other features paid content?

Or are you guys gonna stay old school forever???

• Administrators

There are no plans for free version at the moment. You can use ESET Online Scanner to scan your computer for malware for free.

Nothing in this world is perfect and for free. We all have to pay for the living, for food, etc. and we all have families that we need to take care of and support.

• Administrators

In Slovakia ESET provides 50% discount for students, disabled people, healthcare / educational organizations, schools and universities.

So I am just wondering when are you guys gonna join the free AV market????

Emsisoft, ESET, Webroot, Symantec, Malwarebytes plus many more vendors does not provide a free version with realtime protection. IMO there is enough free AVs on the market as it is, we really don't need yet another free AV. So if you don't want to pay then you have plenty of options available, some total crapp but also a few nice free AVs. Many of them might give you a present if you don't look out during install, or change your browsers default search engine or a toolbar or something even worse,  while others may urge you do upgrade to their paid solution once in a while via ads in the gui in order to support the vendor and future development of the products. But considering it's free I assume most people is fine with that.

Or are you guys gonna stay old school forever???

If "new school" = I expect it to be free, then Yes I hope they will stay old school forever.

Personally, I don't want ESET to offer a free version, instead I want them to keep producing the high quality software that they do today. And the saying "people try the free version - and if they like the free version they migrate over to the paid version ", it doesn't really work like that at all. Take Avast for example, the majority stays with Avast Free and does not move over to Avast paid. And that goes for most vendors that offer a free version with enough features.

If the software is of high quality and works better than most products then people are willing to pay because of that. But if it is worth to buy an AV with all these free AV's available on the market - that must be up to each person to decide. But it's not only about comparing product features and say "this Free AV and this Paid AV have the exact same features" let's not forget that they are developed by different companies so the quality of the software itself may not be the same only because the features look the same/similar on paper. Not to mention how the software runs on our system.

But you should be able to find nice discount deals for most "paid for AVs" made by vendors that does not have a free version if you search around online, if you're willing to pay a few $$$ for the product at least.

Unless the Free AV is free to 100% meaning no-strings-attached what so ever, and clean from exciting offers during the install or uninstall process, and no secret data collecting operation going on in the background, then I agree with the ESET CEO....

IS FREE ACTUALLY FREE?

It depends on whom you ask. ESET’s Chief Executive Officer Richard Marko isn’t a big fan of free antivirus, noting that it’s often supplied as part of a bundle with a lot of other applications. “Nothing is for free; it’s just how the money is collected in the end. What we’ve found is that our application often detects and flags these bundles because they come with a lot of other potentially unwanted applications* bundled as well.”

hxxp://virusradar.com/en/glossary/pua

hxxp://virusradar.com/en/glossary/adware

• Most Valued Members

I started to write a long winded reason not to have a free Eset version and my experiences with the so called "Free" stuff.

Instead I'll repeat what has been said by many, nothing is Free. If Eset provided a free version then there would be a increase in work, effort, time, sever costs, and expense in general for Eset.  All this with less income in the form of licensing, per SweX's explanation in post #6.

The logical conclusion would be one of two things would have to happen. A cut in improvements and quality or an increased cost of licensing fees. Neither of which appeals to me just so some could use a free product.

There's a myriad of "free" stuff out there, some OK and some not. You roll the dice and take your chances. As for me I'll stick with my paid license fee on both my computers. Confidence in the product you're using to protect your data is priceless.

If you buy cheaply, you pay dearly.

If you buy quality, you only cry once.

SO- you don't want the senior discount? ;)

Don't want to move to Slovakia (my Doctor won't make house calls there). I'll stick with buying at Newegg. :P (Cyber Monday isn't that far away).

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

How much do you think I could save with a senior discount? I'm as old as dirt. Right now I'm paying $0.07US (seven cents) a day for each machine.   :huh:

Newegg just started a 48 hour sale...NOD32 2015 edition...1 user/2 years $30.00. Not sure what it will be Cyber Monday. 

So what is that, $.04 USD/day or something like that?

hxxp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832114077&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL101315&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL101315-_-EMC-101315-Index-_-AntivirusInternetSecurity-_-32114077-S3A6D

Edited by TomFace

How much do you think I could save with a senior discount? I'm as old as dirt. Right now I'm paying $0.07US (seven cents) a day for each machine.   :huh:

Old as dirt?

I invented dirt- that's how old I am. :)

Like most here I don't think there should be a free version of ESET NOD32.

I've used NOD32 AV for at least 12 years now and I'm happy to buy a renewal licence when it's needed. Before I moved to NOD32 I tried a whole host of paid for and free AV software and not been entorely happy with them.

The simple reason I've stayed with ESET products is they work well with good virus detection and do not hog system resources.

My current licence expires in December and once again I'll be purchasing a 2 year renewal. for me it's a no brainer.

As an aside, version 9 is working far better with Windows 10 than version 8 did. For me version 9 starts up as soon as I reach the desktop whereas version 8 used to hang for around 30 seconds.

Anyway back on topic, my feeling is you get what you pay for and ESET AV is great value for money.

I don't trust so called "free" products because what all those programs do is collect a bunch of data and sell it for profit so is the same as paying but with your data. so i stick to the paid side of antivirus programs and that way i support eset who do a great job

Edited by blinkmx

• Most Valued Members

I don't trust so called "free" products because what all those programs do is collect a bunch of data and sell it for profit so is the same as paying but with your data. so i stick to the paid side of antivirus programs and that way i support eset who do a great job

I've pretty much always felt that you can't expect to much from a so called "free" product, nothing is free and a price is paid one way or another.

There are specific exceptions but they are far and few between.

Edited by SCR

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not convinced about the high quality of ESET nod32 yet, and I paid for it, it was down all day today while 3 techs fixed it. But, I will give them another chance.