Allow Disabling of Status - Missing Support for Azure Code Signing

whitefern

On 9/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Marcos said:

In home products it won't be possible.

12 hours ago, whitefern said:

When can I/We expect to receive the update where we can disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing" ?

This has been already been answered.

11 hours ago, itman said:

This has been already been answered.

It is not an acceptable answer.

On ESET's website for business users, they also recommending "Home" products for business users who wants to lets users manages their endpoints/client PCs individually. The word "administrator" has a broad term for different organisation. 

Even for small  business who are letting users manages their endpoints individually, there is an IT administrator. Hence the lines are blurred. 

Hence, "Home" products is/can be a ""Business" Product.

@Marcos

Please give the end users the option. When can I/We expect to receive the update where we can disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing" ?

Thank you.

@Marcos 

It has be 2 plus weeks. We have been requesting the option to disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing" ?

When would you be releasing it? Please give users the options.

• Administrators

All new product versions released later this year will include a block that will prevent installation on systems without ACS support. We strongly recommend installing the appropriate WIndows update that adds ACS support if you don't want to upgrade Windows for whatever reason.

13 hours ago, Marcos said:

All new product versions released later this year will include a block that will prevent installation on systems without ACS support. We strongly recommend installing the appropriate WIndows update that adds ACS support if you don't want to upgrade Windows for whatever reason.

We are not asking about the workflow what will happen when the installation is tried on the systems without ACS support.

1. What is requested at the moment is the OPTION to disable notification - everyone here is a grown-up aware of the consequences.

2. I have a paid license until February 2025. If I can't get the notification disabled it means this is not the service that I paid for and I will be forced to switch to a different Antivirus.  If the option to disable notification is not implemented how can I request a refund for the months not used?

Edited by sergun4ik2000

22 hours ago, Marcos said:

As I have mentioned. Windows Update is disabled for our entire organisation for various factors and crucial reason.  We can't able to install the ACS update.

Unless, there is a "standalone/offline ACS  Support" installer where we can apply to our clients. 

That is the reason why I/we are asking to release an update where we can disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing". 

It is just a check box to make the status/notification disappear. Please provide this.

Thank you.

Hello,

I'm so sad, with a machine who work perfectly without any update, but only protected by the great nod32 (that i use from 2005) !

Almost 20 years using your antivirus, and now, this great company decides to bend front of Microsoft.

What's stopping you from providing releases like before to all your customers who decide not to follow Microsoft in its updates?

We pay you for that, no ?

My computer need a protection because i go to internet and i count on you for protecting it.

If i update my machine and become a slave of Microsoft, why i will not using their antivirus too ?

it's too difficult for ESET to provide a pack who are able to recognize if "Azure code" is present or not and install the proper version for both ?

With the future is announced it's terrible to see how dependent we are against companies like Microsoft, Apple, etc...

Where is the power and respect of the customer ?

Very sad time...

I'm using 1809 version.

Last update =  17763.1282

After, i installed "StopUpdates10" bored by all updates and upgrades from Microsoft.

have a nice day.

Edited by bitonio6

• Administrators

Since ESET is not the maker of the Windows operating system which is the basement for any 3rd party Windows applications, we must follow the standard set by Microsoft.

Microsoft has decided to sunset support for cross-signed certificates: https://knowledge.digicert.com/alerts/Kernel-Mode.html. With the expiration of the SHA256 certificate in December 2023 and the impossibility to obtain another SHA256 certificate, we have signed our binaries with an ACS certificate as well. That said, it will not be possible to install ESET or to upgrade ESET to a newer version. Also any newer version that we will release will install only on ACS-enabled operating systems.

ESET is not the only vendor affected. Below is a short list of other vendors requiring ACS support to be installed:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/71727

https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000045019

https://success.trendmicro.com/dcx/s/solution/000291904

13 hours ago, bitonio6 said:

I'm using 1809 version.

Last update =  17763.1282

This Microsoft article, https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/kb5022661-windows-support-for-the-azure-code-signing-program-4b505a31-fa1e-4ea6-85dd-6630229e8ef4  has been referenced multiple times in this thread. If you would have read it, it notes that all you have to do is apply the following Win Update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/september-21-2021-kb5005625-os-build-17763-2210-preview-5ae2f63d-a9ce-49dd-a5e6-e05b90dc1cd8 to resolve this issue.

@Marcos it also appears the Microsoft Azure code-signing article is misleading. In this instance, KB5005625 is available from the Win Catalog, but only for Windows 10 LTSB versions. I assume the same applies to any Win 10 version not currently supported. Therefore, the statement needs to made that the only alternative is to upgrade to a supported Win 10 version.

Edited by itman

8 hours ago, Marcos said:

Since ESET is not the maker of the Windows operating system which is the basement for any 3rd party Windows applications, we must follow the standard set by Microsoft.

Ok, but if these Windows 10 installations are outdated, they are considered by Microsoft anymore, where is the problem to continue to offer to these particular customers your services ?

If someone want to create something even for Windows 98, he can, no ?

Also, if i remember right, Microsoft said they want to offer to the community the code of Windows to make it something close to opensource.

I think it's time, in computer stuff to react about that kind of decision from a big company who want, each time, forcing people to buy a new computer or following them in any direction they choose.

You said, so, it's impossible to a company like yours to continue to provide upgrade and mostly protection to computer users who don't accept to follow the exclusive and abusive decisions of Microsoft ?

What about the fight against planned obsolescence?

17 hours ago, Marcos said:

we must follow the standard set by Microsoft.

It is great that you are adhering to the "Standards" of  Microsoft. And I understand that other vendors are also requiring ACS support to be installed. 

But that has NOTHING to do with giving the users the option to disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing".

Please give users the option. Please provide an update where users can disable the notification.

Thank you.

• Administrators

@whitefern, I assume you are using ESET home products in your organization because they are not managed centrally via ESET PROTECT? If that's the only reason which prevents you from replacing it with ESET Endpoint, ESET Endpoint can be installed also on stand-alone or even offline endpoints. Whether or not it's managed depends on whether you also install the ESET management agent on the machine. The only advantage of the home products is Anti-Theft and Password manager. Other than that, ESET Endpoint is virtually same besides the possibility to be managed centrally.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

@whitefern, I assume you are using ESET home products in your organization because they are not managed centrally via ESET PROTECT? If that's the only reason which prevents you from replacing it with ESET Endpoint, ESET Endpoint can be installed also on stand-alone or even offline endpoints. Whether or not it's managed depends on whether you also install the ESET management agent on the machine. The only advantage of the home products is Anti-Theft and Password manager. Other than that, ESET Endpoint is virtually same besides the possibility to be managed centrally.

@Marcos For several years (10+) we have been using using ESET "home" products in my organisation. Yes, we initially consider ESET Endpoint for all our client PCs several years back. But after careful analysis within our internal team and protocols, we decided to use ESET "home" product for my company. Although this is "Unmanaged" centrally, we decided to choose this route for several reasons.

ESET "home" products is also a "business" product.

All I/We are asking is to give users the option to disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing". Please make it happen. It is just a Check Box. Users who disables the notification knows fully of the consequence.

Thank you.

• Administrators

Not really a

1 hour ago, whitefern said:

ESET "home" products is also a "business" product.

Not really according to EULA:

c) Home/Business Edition. A Home Edition version of the Software shall be used exclusively in private and/or non-commercial environments for home and family use only. A Business Edition version of the Software must be obtained for use in a commercial environment as well as to use the Software on mail servers, mail relays, mail gateways, or Internet gateways.

We strongly recommend installing Endpoint in a business environment.

21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

c) Home/Business Edition. A Home Edition version of the Software shall be used exclusively in private and/or non-commercial environments for home and family use only. A Business Edition version of the Software must be obtained for use in a commercial environment as well as to use the Software on mail servers, mail relays, mail gateways, or Internet gateways.

This is an interesting and noteworthy revelation.

Per EULA provision Eset could at its discretion deny tech support, malware remediation, etc. for home consumer products used in a commercial installation. The provision most certainly would allow Eset not to be liable in the event of legal action against it.

@Marcos in regards to this previously referenced Eset N.A. ESSP business installation recommendation: https://www.eset.com/us/business/help-me-choose/?role=owner&devices=range-1&management=individual&securityConcerns=malware&training=yes , someone needs to inform them that it violates the existing ESSP EULA.

https://help.eset.com/essp/16.0/en-US/?eula.html

Edited by itman

• Administrators

No, Endpoint will only enable you to hide the notification about missing ACS support.  Without it, you won't be able to install ESET or upgrade to a newer version.

16 minutes ago, Marcos said:

No, Endpoint will only enable you to hide the notification about missing ACS support.  Without it, you won't be able to install ESET or upgrade to a newer version.

if i won't be able to install ESET or upgrade to a newer version ... that means there is no difference between Home/Business Edition, just hiding the notification

regards

8 hours ago, Marcos said:

Not really a

Not really according to EULA:

We strongly recommend installing Endpoint in a business environment.

Yes. It is if this page exist.

There are many several business and organisation that uses ESET "home" products.

I will ask again. All I/We are asking is to give users the option to disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing". It is just a Check Box. Users who disables the notification knows fully of the consequence.

Please make it happen. 

53 minutes ago, whitefern said:

I will ask again. All I/We are asking is to give users the option to disable of the status/notification of "Missing Support for Azure Code Signing". It is just a Check Box. Users who disables the notification knows fully of the consequence.

You've asked this question no less than 14 times in this thread.

You're fortunate that the Eset forum is tolerate of such activity. You would have been banned long ago on most security forums.

3 hours ago, itman said:

You've asked this question no less than 14 times in this thread.

You're fortunate that the Eset forum is tolerate of such activity. You would have been banned long ago on most security forums.

BTW, it was not a question.

It is BECAUSE it is a legitimate request. And the ESET Developers are ignoring a legitimate request from their user.

While giving the users of ESET Endpoint the option and ignoring ESET "Home" products users is not acceptable. When clearly both are using in enterprise/business environments.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, whitefern said:

It is BECAUSE it is a legitimate request. And the ESET Developers are ignoring a legitimate request from their user.

The request wasn't ignored by the Eset moderator. It was stated that Eset NOD32, EIS, and ESSP will not be modified to accommodate your request. If you are dissatisfied with this response, escalate your request to Eset corporate and stop wasting forum disk space. 

• Administrators

I'd recommend contacting your ESET partner or reseller to request features. They gather information from users and relay it to ESET HQ for evaluation. If there is a big demand for a specific feature from users, ESET HQ will seriously consider it.