AV Test

Why ESET is not so good in the first test Test antivirus software for Windows 10 - February 2023 | AV-TEST  (Didn't get top certificate)

In the second test, however, ESET fared better (but still not the best).: Malware Protection Test March 2023 - AV-Comparatives  or Real-World Protection Test Feb-Mar 2023 - Factsheet (av-comparatives.org)

I've always thought that ESET is among the top 3 antivirus programs in the world (I'm otherwise very happy with ESET - I've had it for over 15 years).

Just like you, I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus for more than 15 years. Not once had I had a virus so I take these synthetic tests with a grain of salt. No regular user out there is gonna sit there and download 100s of viruses to test his AV. In the real world, I have been always protected. What matters to me other than protection is a security solution that as no bloatware (ie. toolbars, addons, system optimizers, registry cleaners, etc.), has very low false positives, and is light on the system which ESET gives you exactly that. It is very rare to find such a combo in other products other than ESET.

3 hours ago, Super_Spartan said:

It is very rare to find such a combo in other products other than ESET.

Microsoft Defender is free, integrated in Windows and has a detection rate superior to ESET

6 hours ago, rotaru said:

has a detection rate superior to ESET

In my experience, this is far from true. Even Kaspersky sometimes does not detect, but ESET does. If you are an advanced user, ESET is a great product for customizing settings to maximize protection. And again according to my experience for five years of having three(McAfee,Kaspersky and ESET) antivirus products. ESET is still the choice because I feel it is superior in performance, false positives and protection is also excellent, especially if you can set up network protection (aka. firewall) and HIPS. 

Do you care about performance and false positives @rotaru?. It can be more complicated problem then hit by virus. I personally dont like adding so many exclution, adding so many exclution just made your system easy to compromise.

9 hours ago, rotaru said:

Microsoft Defender is free, integrated in Windows and has a detection rate superior to ESET

Yes and it's the heaviest antivirus in the world getting the last place in AV-Comparatives tests for many years consecutively. If you don't care about performance, then feel free to use it.

AV Comparatives Performance Tests OCT-22.png

Edited by Super_Spartan

2 hours ago, Super_Spartan said:

Yes and it's the heaviest antivirus in the world

That is true, but in reality is insignificant.

With ESET you open a file in 0.01 sec , with Defender in 0.1sec , ten time longer but you really cannot feel 0.1sec.

If you are happy with ESET, just keep using it. It's a good idea to periodically scan your computer with a second opinion scanner to ensure your PC is virus-free. 

But in my opinion, these AV test results are not useless; instead, they serve as a reminder that there is room for improvement for ESET in terms of protection. Enhancing behavioral detection, integrating LiveGrid reputation into the firewall, and adding protected folder functionality are areas where ESET can improve.

• Most Valued Members
41 minutes ago, Damjan said:

Why ESET don't detected BonziBuddy Virus! 

In the first comment of the video

image.png

I think the detection is through PUA detections

https://help.eset.com/glossary/en-US/unsafe_application.html?unwanted_application.html