Windows 7 and ESET

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I still have # of Windows 7 systems that I wont  be upgrading for a while due to specific applications my wife needs for her work. Do I need to look for another Security Suite of my current ESET will still work OK.

• Administrators
  • Solution

We do not plan to stop issuing updates for the latest versions with Windows 7/8 support any time soon.

Oh OK.

While earlier today I was working on my wife's Win 7 Pro I notice that ESS wouldn't not update to the latest, quick search showed that  latest 16.1 its not supported on Win 7 so that made me 😟

Thank you for the confirmation👍

• Administrators

This is not because we at ESET would like to cut users with older OS but it's due to PE file signing requirements by Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5022661-windows-support-for-the-azure-code-signing-program-4b505a31-fa1e-4ea6-85dd-6630229e8ef4

Azure code signing support is available via a Windows update only for Windows 7/8 ESU (extended security updates program) versions.

Currently ESET PE files are signed with a cert. issued by Entrust besides one issued by Microsoft ID Verified CS AOC CA 01, which, however, is going to expire on Dec 8, 2023 and cannot be renewed any more.

image.png

That said, v16.0 is the latest version for Windows 7/8. After the expiration of the Entrust certificate, updates for v16.0 will be limited since we won't be able to sign kernel modules and drivers with a SHA2 certificate any more. That said, we won't be able to bring you newer HIPS and EPFW modules.