NOD 32 program update

novice
Go to solution Solved by rugk,

If I press " Check for update" I get " Installed version 7.0.317.4 is up to date" however on ESET website "7.0.325.0" is available.

post-1289-0-77449900-1414938690_thumb.jpg

Of course I would just recommend to install v8.

It was already strange that they release a new v7-version and you're right it's strange too that they don't release this v7 update as a PCU.

However it can be that they can only register one version (number) as the newest version and ESET wants to do this with v8 later (as I highly assume), so it wouldn't be useful to do this with the "new" v7 before.

This are only my assumptions. Maybe ESET has different reasons for this.

• Administrators

It was already strange that they release a new v7-version and you're right it's strange too that they don't release this v7 update as a PCU.

It's not strange. The new build is basically the previous version with current engine and modules included which is something that existing v7 users already have. 

And yes, upgrading to v8 is recommended as it provides better protection compared to v7.

• Solution

OK, more simple:

1. I recommend: Install the new version of NOD32 - version 8.
  2. After ESET released v8 they still released a new v7 - 7.0.325.x and here.
  3. This release was surprising (for me), because there was already v8 out and users can upgrade to v8.
  4. It's also surprising for me that the new v7 wasn't released as a PCU (via the GUI-internal "updater"). - That is what you experienced.
  5. A reason for this could be that they can only set one version number as the newest version number (e.g. 8.0.304). I thought they want to do this later and because of this they don't want to set the newest version to "7.0.325", because then users have to upgrade to 7.0.325 and (maybe only a few days later) to v 8.0.304.
  6. This are only my assumptions. Maybe ESET has a different explanation for this.

Related: Changelog for v 7.0.325

@Marcos

Okay, so you wanted to release the latest version 7 with fully-up-to-date modules, so if there are users who install the v7 instead of v8, they don't have to update so much (VSDs) and they are already quite up-to-date.

Is this right?

And there are even some bug fixes in this version. (Changelog linked above)

So you wanted to care about v7 although you released v8 already. Is this correct?

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

I've been notified there were also some bug fixes included in 7.0.325 as well besides current modules. Since v8 is a new major version, it may suffer from not yet known bugs. For that reason, it made sense to make one more build of v7 which addresses most prevalent issues known from previous builds of v7. We'll see if and when it could be made available as a PCU for existing v7 users.

Okay thanks for your answer!

That's a good explanation for the two questions.

Edited by rugk