Windows ESET products and Android threats

Can Windows versions of ESET products detect Android-targeted threats? So to scan APK file via Windows version of ESET products(ESET Nod32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium) is the same like to scan it via ESET Mobile Security for Android or ESET Smart TV Security? In this case effectiveness of scanning is the same?

• Administrators

Yes, you can use Windows products to scan apk files for Android but not vice-versa. ESET products for Android do not detect threats intended for other operating systems.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

Yes, you can use Windows products to scan apk files for Android but not vice-versa. ESET products for Android do not detect threats intended for other operating systems.

And the same quality of detection or Android products can detect malwares in APKs better?

• Administrators
On 8/25/2022 at 6:27 PM, Kristal said:

And the same quality of detection or Android products can detect malwares in APKs better?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, Kristal said:

From what I understand from the question and the following.
ESET for mobile and desktop and the same detection is protected on both mobile and desktop with ESET products.

12 hours ago, Marcos said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

For example, we have a folder with several thousands of APK malwares. Which product will detect more big count of detections? Android product or Windows product?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Kristal said:

For example, we have a folder with several thousands of APK malwares. Which product will detect more big count of detections? Android product or Windows product?

Windows product will detect more since it detects threats for all platforms but the products for Android detect only Android threats.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Windows product will detect more since it detects threats for all platforms but the products for Android detect only Android threats.

What about Mac products? Do they detect only Mac treats or treats for all platforms?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Kristal said:

What about Mac products? Do they detect only Mac treats or treats for all platforms?

Android is the only exception. Products for any other platform cover call detections.

8 hours ago, Marcos said:

Android is the only exception. Products for any other platform cover call detections.

Why there are no any IOS products?

4 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

According to the website you mentioned, it has antivirus for iOS

Here's an article: EDIT - link removed due to suspect redirects on the web page - that lists 7 additional AV vendors that offer an iOS product.

Also, none of these solutions plus the previously noted Norton solution are traditional Windows based AV solutions. They can best be described as akin to the protection provided by Eset Web Access protection installed on Windows installations.

Of note:

Although it's less likely that your Apple iPhone or iPad will get infected by malware compared to a PC, it doesn't mean they are completely immune, so this list of the best antivirus or iPhone can give you the extra protection you need.

Whether it's malicious websites, annoying ads, web trackers or just someone grabbing your device when you're not looking, there's plenty to be concerned about if you own an iPhone (opens in new tab), which is where the the best iPhone antivirus apps come in handy.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

Some more info why there is no antivirus for iOS (my bolding):

Search the App Store and you will find things called Internet security apps. These apps have two things in common: They are not antivirus apps, and they tend to get bashed in user reviews for that reason. As we already said: A proper antivirus solution cannot run in iOS. These apps are not antivirus utilities, even if they have antivirus engines embedded, they are not allowed to scan other apps and their data. That point typically appears in reviews by knowledgeable users, who bash them for not being actual antivirus apps.

https://www.dibrax.com/blog/why-theres-no-antivirus-ios

@Marcos So as users said above all these apps are scam, right?😄 Something like Rogue. Because scanning of files is the main antivirus function, and Avast, Symantec, Avira, McAfee, etc. don't have it. But creators of these apps call them "antiviruses". I think they try confuse users for money. Did I understand right?

Edited by Kristal

1 hour ago, Kristal said:

But creators of these apps call them "antiviruses". I think they try confuse users for money. Did I understand right?

I guess it depends what your purchasing source is.

Here is Avast's offering from the Apple store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/avast-security-privacy/id1276551855 . No where is it stated its an "antivirus" app.

29 minutes ago, Kristal said:

@MarcosIs it real to infect iOS device via malware?

If you are 'free speech' journalist in China or UAE then it is definitely real 😀 But then you would probably have more problems than just an infected iPhone.