Eset and Task manager conflict or bug?

Really strange problems a was found today, i have install fresh clean windows 11, after that i have install eset internet security and  lost my GPU from task manager i have make a video so you can see whats happened here. 

Just confirmed same happened on windows 10, i was make clean install to try.

Edit: And also random problems is come with Adobe just after that happened with GPU. Premiere pro stopped to working.

Edited by forumwt

36 minutes ago, forumwt said:

Just confirmed same happened on windows 10, i was make clean install to try.

Editar: Problemas relacionados a vídeos como o logotipo da Adobe ou que são possíveis com uma GPU. O Premiere pro parou para funcionar.

Here on my pc it is normal.

This really is very strange, it looks like it is here on my computer with the image below:

image.thumb.png.8b917a52e4131a73f7676123755ee439.png

Windows 10 PRO
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.1682

I have no idea whats happened, everything worked fine before, i use eset last few years.. this problems looks come last week or month.

2 minutes ago, forumwt said:

Não faço ideia do que aconteceu, tudo funcionou bem antes, uso eset nos últimos anos.. esses problemas parecem vir na semana passada ou no mês.

Have you tried restarting your computer?
Install the latest drivers?

Yeah, only way to back GPU to working normal is reinstall system or restore it before eset installation. I have try to reinstall drivers but can't get it to show GPU in task manager.

28 minutes ago, forumwt said:

Yeah, only way to back GPU to working normal is reinstall system or restore it before eset installation. I have try to reinstall drivers but can't get it to show GPU in task manager.

When Marcos sees your post I believe he can help you better.
Try switching update to pre-release update to see if anything changes.

This is awful, I've been racking my brain all day today. There are problems in other applications too. Uninstalling Eset does not fix the problem, only reinstalling windows!

Annotation 2022-05-03 033147.png

• Administrators

There should no correlation with ESET especially if uninstalling ESET didn't make any difference. Try re-installing nVidia drivers.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

There should no correlation with ESET especially if uninstalling ESET didn't make any difference. Try re-installing nVidia drivers.

I reinstalled drivers ~10 times, used DDU, installed old versions. After reinstalling windows, installing drivers, there are no problems, but as soon as I installed ESET, the GPU stopped logging in the task manager on all tabs. Resetting the task manager settings through the registry does not help. Can you repeat this for yourself? Video card RTX3080; latest windows 10 update.

I have the same problem on several Windows 10 and Windows 11 computers, all after the fact. I did the test, I tested 1 computer with Windows 11 for about 3 weeks. It booted without, I turned on the GPU to boot, connected to the Internet, ONLY updated eset smart security (updated the definition of trust elements), restarted the computer and the GPU card does not have. I checked the pre-release eset updates, but nothing helps

In addition, the GPU has stopped looking, it is impossible to check the whole process in the GPU control - 0%, although more precisely, that the GPU and the CPU were HIGHLY loaded

Windows 10.0.19044 Nvidia GTX 1060, Windows 11 navigation Nvidia gt750 if I remember correctly

• Administrators

According to the screenshot it's WDDM 2.7 driver model which supports the said feature. Therefore I can only recommend opening a support ticket and providing instructions how to reproduce the issue if reinstalling nVidia drivers. I'd also recommend contacting nVIDIA as well as Microsoft for an opinion on this.

• ESET Insiders

Rebuild the performance counters: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/manually-rebuild-performance-counters

Create a new data collector set by running performance monitor. The process is similar to the following guide, just select all the GPU related performance counters.

https://help.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/perf_collect_perfmon.htm

I don't believe this problem has anything to do with ESET, as the problem is affecting a far wider audience. Doing the above procedure worked for me.

Edited by stackz

All is working fine until we install eset, Exactly problem is with latest eset update modules or something.

I really don't know what to write to MS and AMD in support ticket, if i send a this video above they will tell me to uninstall eset.

Edited by forumwt

• Administrators

So after rebuilding the performance counters as per the instructions above the issue disappears but as soon as you install ESET it returns?

I don't have any issue until eset get latest update.

Example

1. New OS and drivers installed and all is working fine.

2. Eset installed all is working fine.

3 Eset get update and problems is come.

I have a problem with Adobe, Maxon, Redshift etc. The second day I exhaust myself, the problems do not disappear, now I have reinstalled Windows and it seems to be better. It started yesterday after updating the antivirus, I don't know if it's a coincidence.🤧

• Administrators

What is the problem with the above mentioned applications and how it is related to the original issue with the GPU performance counter? Does temporarily uninstalling ESET actually make a difference?

I also have this same issue, the GPU graph was gone from task manager performance tab.

Both on my desktop and my laptop. They both have the Eset Internet Security. I hadn't booted up the laptop for weeks, and just after the boot the graph still was there, but then the Eset updated itself and the graph was gone. Windows update wasn't ran yet.

Desktop lost it yesterday. The desktop has an Nvidia card and the laptop has integrated AMD graphics, so that doesn't seem to make any difference. chkdsk /f, sfc/scannow or reistalling graphics drivers didn't help.

Running the commands to rebuild the performance counters fixed it.

I haven't ran into anything else broken yet, other than when I ran sfc/scannow and it found corrupted files and fixed them, though it may be unrelated.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

What is the problem with the above mentioned applications and how it is related to the original issue with the GPU performance counter? Does temporarily uninstalling ESET actually make a difference?

The above software started to work unstable with the GPU just yesterday, it is relatively complex soft and not without bugs, so it's hard for me to say that the problem is in eset. The counter was fixed, thx stackz.

I registered only to report this same issue, affecting two distinct computers (edit, make that 5) running EIS. It applies to several other performance counters as well, not only the GPU. If you open Performance Monitor, it will warn you that it was unable to load several performance counters, as shown in the image below:

image.png.8166e2cbe42fe2eaf587e4f03fe1f539.png

I was able to replicate the issue following some of the reports here on an already compromised installation:

• Performance counters missing/corrupted;
  • Restore them with lodctr /R on %windir%\SysWOW64 (running the command on the System32 folder was unsuccessful with an error code 2);
  • Performance counters working again, no errors on Performance Monitor and GPU usage showing in Task Manager;
  • Completely uninstall EIS;
  • Performance counters still working;
  • Install EIS again;
  • Performance counters still working;
  • Wait for EIS to fully update;
  • Performance counters missing/corrupted with the same issues described above;
  • Able to restore them again with lodctr /R

Now it will take a few days to see if the issue reapers after ESET updates again. I'm not sure which module update is the culprit, thought.

Edited by cofer123