Endpoint doesn't auto-update to 9.0.2046

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

We're trialing the auto-updates in house, prior to enabling it for clients. We had 4 of our 13 staff devices update back on 24 May, then nothing since.

We got very excited when we first heard about the new auto-update feature (over 6 mths ago, I believe), thinking ESET was finally catching up to some of the other endpoint security solutions. But waiting over two months to deploy a new update is unprecedented for us, and not something I'm comfortable with. Factor in the seemingly "hit and miss" nature of it, and we're reverting to our established scheduled deployment process.

I'll check this post in another 6 months to see if ESET have managed to sort the auto-update functionality out in that time.

At this stage I'm calling ESET Auto-update an EPIC FAIL.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, CraigF said:

We're trialing the auto-updates in house, prior to enabling it for clients. We had 4 of our 13 staff devices update back on 24 May, then nothing since.

Please elaborate more on what issue you are having exactly. I've just tested the auto-update feature with EAV v9 and it worked like a charm:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Running in to same thing here....when ESET starting pushing out the update, my Win 10 endpoints started to update over about a 2 week period. I have 13 endpoints left out of 110 that have not updated yet. Since Memorial Day weekend, only one PC downloaded the update but other than that one , the last 2 weeks there have been no updates for the remaining 13. I see no restart warning in the Eset Protect console so i have no idea why the update stopped. All endpoints would be updating from 9.0.2032.6 to 9.0.2046.0..Strictly the security update which is supposed to over ride the auto updates turned off in ALL the policies i have assigned to endpoints.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @slarkins / @CraigF,

thank you for your reports, we would like to check it with you

1. enable (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Enable update engine advanced logging)

2. Let the computer run for full 24 hours

3. If it won't receive the update hit the  Check for updates button in the Update pane of the main GUI

4. Disable the logging from the step #1

5. Let us know if the Auto-update was offered during the step #2, step #3 or not at all

6. Collect the logs by ESET Log Collector, upload it to a safe location and send me and @TomasP private message with the download details and a reference to this topic.

Thank you, Peter

all these computers run 24x7...i have tried doing a manual update from GUI....i enabled logging and will check again after 24 hours....the entire premise of the auto updates was in part supposed to save admins time...now it looks like i need to spend time troubleshooting this process now...since the post above me is having the same issue...i think its a problem with the Eset update servers...i am not spending alot of time on this...it will take less time just manually pushing out the full 9.0.2046.0 install on the 13 pcs left

• Administrators
Just now, Jeroen Oortwijn said:

I will enable logging and get back to you.

Do you remember what was the first version of Endpoint that was installed on troublesome machines? Was it installed by sending a software install task from the ESET PROTECT console after deploying the managing agent or via SCCM, GPO, etc? Did you upgrade to newer versions via a software install task?

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Do you remember what was the first version of Endpoint that was installed on troublesome machines? Was it installed by sending a software install task from the ESET PROTECT console after deploying the managing agent or via SCCM, GPO, etc? Did you upgrade to newer versions via a software install task?

It was quite some time ago, but I think it was installed via an Agent+Endpoint installer and definitely an 8.* version.
But I know I've been experimenting with it on my PC before deploying it everywhere, so maybe that is now causing issues.

All the upgrades so far were done via a software install task, but I think it auto-updated from 9.0.2032.4 to .6?

• Administrators

The security product can be updated manually by sending a software install task. Unlike automatic updates (uPCU), running a software install task actually runs an msi installation over an existing version which requires a restart after the installation / upgrade has completed. uPCU updates are smaller and should not require a restart since they are installed after the next system restart.

.all my endpoints were updated to 9.0.2032.6 via a software install task...i remember as within a week of updating agents and endpoints via software install task...2046 was released...

i am just going to save myself time and push out the 2046 install via software task install

Do I think right that all endpoints should have been updated by now? Auto updates started 1 month ago.

I have some 8.1.2037.9 clients which not updating with manual Check For updates button neither.

I enabled advanced logging, and will send to Peter.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Zen11t said:

Do I think right that all endpoints should have been updated by now? Auto updates started 1 month ago.

I have some 8.1.2037.9 clients which not updating with manual Check For updates button neither.

I enabled advanced logging, and will send to Peter.

Yes, all Endpoints should download update to v9.0.2046 automatically now. Manually checking for updates would enforce update even if being throttled and not downloaded automatically. Please post the logs here so that they are available to all ESET staff.

18 hours ago, Marcos said:

Does clearing update cache in the advanced update setup resolve the issue?

Yes.

I followed https://support.eset.com/en/kb6689-clear-update-cache-and-check-for-updates-in-eset-endpoint-products-6x?ref=esf and my Endpoint now updated to 9.0.2046.0.

• Administrators

It's a known bug that cached metadata was not invalidated (e.g. after changing the product). It would resolve automatically soon after the cached metadata was re-generated automatically, however. Clearing update cache erases also the downloaded metadata which is subsequently downloaded from the repository.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, Jeroen Oortwijn said:

I created a Modules Update task with the Clear Update Cache option set (see https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/90/en-US/client_tasks_virus_db_update.html) and ran it on the other affected clients.
It looks like they are now also updating to 9.0.2046.0 (only know for sure when they have restarted).