Endpoint doesn't auto-update to 9.0.2046

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

• Administrators

As I mentioned, we haven't released an automatic update for v9. Your v9.0.2032 will update to v9.0.2046 when available.

Please read what I put! I'm not talking about v9.0.2046.0.

You have been updating v9 because ever since v9.0.2032.6 was released, all our v9.0.2032.0 clients have been updating to .6 but this stopped working earlier this week for some reason. We have an auto-update policy set to stop updates at revision .6 and has worked fine up until now.

Why has this stopped happening? Have you stopped this centrally or could there be another issue?

Edited by ma77y88

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon @Marcos, is there any confirmation from the company ESET that auto-update is already working and we can test it on our infrastructure with v9.0.2046.0? Thank you.

• Administrators

We plan to start distributing uPCU to v9.0.2046 in approximately 2-3 week time. Tomorrow we're going to release v8.0 and v8.1 hotfixes.

Hi Marcos,

I understand that this is the first time you are pushing updates this way, however I wanted to ask whether there will be a more official channel where we can track when a new version will be rolled out. Additionally, having the option to change that time frame would be ideal as in my opinion using an outdated version for nearly two months is too much. A month should be more than sufficient for any critical issues to surface. 

• ESET Insiders
On 4/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, Ufoto said:

Hi Marcos,

I understand that this is the first time you are pushing updates this way, however I wanted to ask whether there will be a more official channel where we can track when a new version will be rolled out. Additionally, having the option to change that time frame would be ideal as in my opinion using an outdated version for nearly two months is too much. A month should be more than sufficient for any critical issues to surface. 

Agreed.  The wait time is a bit too much.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, LesRMed said:

I agree, 30-60 days is a bit much. Plus, having to see the big red bar of outdated products for that long drives me crazy. I usually start manually upgrading my endpoints after a few days of seeing that. As you can see, I've already started pushing it out this morning. Kind of defeats the whole "automatic update" feature.

image.png.c6516168bde46587f7e7ab7f4ec893be.png

Totally agree with LeaRNed about that. It will be great to have a possibility to customize that chart ourselves or an other bar with "Auto-update status" that check client match auto-update last version.

It would also be nice to have a table with the list of auto-update versions and the release date. For example at the end of the page: https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/90/en-US/auto_updates.html

Regards

I agree with Ufoto, Trooper, LesRMed, Michael Erni etal; this delay in the auto-update process seems totally unnecessary and, quite frankly, appalling. We have always deployed updates in-house within the first fortnight of their release (to a pilot group of devices first, then all), and to our clients within the first month.

Why is their deployment being delayed so long?

Edited by CraigF

• Administrators

You can update to a newer version at any time without waiting for ESET to release automatic product updates by sending a software install task. Since possible bugs could negatively impact business, there will always be a delay of 1-2 months after the release before automatic updates become available. However, we understand that some administrators might prefer updating to the latest version as soon as possible at all cost and we try to find ways how to make it easier for them. For instance, we've been considering providing automatic updates immediately as of the day of the product release to those updating from the pre-release update channel.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

You can update to a newer version at any time without waiting for ESET to release automatic product updates by sending a software install task.

But then you don't get the great feature of not having to reboot the computer.
This is what makes the automatic update so great (on paper)

If the update is not that important, then I understand not pushing it automatic right away, but this update is also marked as Critical, thus a big red bar now in the protect Dashboard.

4 minutes ago, Igor Kramarsich said:

I believe it start. Two computer auto update. But look for restart

Mine ahs been a 1 to 1 ratio of needing to restart so far is only doing 5 a day from what i can see

1 hour ago, robg said:

У меня соотношение потребности в перезагрузке было 1 к 1, пока что я делаю только 5 в день, насколько я вижу.

1 hour ago, Igor Kramarsich said:

Я верю, что это начнется. Автоматическое обновление двух компьютеров. Но ищите перезапуск

do you have auto-update working?

1 hour ago, robg said:

Mine ahs been a 1 to 1 ratio of needing to restart so far is only doing 5 a day from what i can see

Yes I think you are right with the 5 a day.
Funny to see the difference between them, 2 are required and 3 are recommended.
All running the same previous version, on the same OS.

image.png.d0656af3e559e7e22ca612175a54a561.png

59 minutes ago, DIMMI said:

do you have auto-update working?

Yes its updating them without manually  tasking it

today I have 10 computers out of 95 that have automatically migrated to version 9.0.2046.00.

What are the migration criteria? and deadline for the park?

Edited by BenoitR

• ESET Moderators

Hello @BenoitR,

The uPCU is released with a throttling from the start, the Criterion is randomness 😉 

This release has a 20% throttling set, meaning every fifth request will be served to make the rollout curve smooth.

The ratio is expected to growth to full 100% in upcoming 7-14 days.

Manually requested updates will override the throttling.

Peter

9 hours ago, rockshox said:

@Peter Randziak The uPCU that was released, does the client need to be on version 9 already, or will version 8 clients be upgraded as well?

No you need to be at version 9.x first.

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

18 minutes ago, TvM said:

No you need to be at version 9.x first.

It is available for version 8 as well, but you need to enable the Auto-updates for it.

"Please keep in mind, that versions 8.0 and 8.1 still need reconfiguration in update profile (for managed networks) to allow this type of upgrade, and you can fine-tune the level of user interaction by setting the desired combination of "Application notifications" and "Application statuses" in advanced configuration beforehand."

Peter

On 5/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @BenoitR,

The uPCU is released with a throttling from the start, the Criterion is randomness 😉 

This release has a 20% throttling set, meaning every fifth request will be served to make the rollout curve smooth.

The ratio is expected to growth to full 100% in upcoming 7-14 days.

Manually requested updates will override the throttling.

Peter

Hello Peter,

auto-updates uPCU works fine with throttling on random PCs.

Could you please say how to manually push uPCU updates with override throttling. Thanks.

Hello,

I have some posts for a few days that have the message: the update is ready, restart the computer.

Except that I noticed, people turn off their workstations without restarting and the update is not done.
Could it be that the updates are triggered with a simple shutdown?

Thank you

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, BenoitR said:

Could it be that the updates are triggered with a simple shutdown?

If you disable Fast startup, then the update should be installed once the machine is turned on and the system starts: https://support.lenovo.com/gt/en/solutions/ht501793

Hello,

I deploy by the active directory strategy the disabling of fast startup.
I have 10 workstations out of 100 where the update is not bad with a shutdown of the workstation then a start.
A known bug?
in the registry the value is 0

Thinks