Restoring files

momenmkadry

I downloaded ESET Internet Security recently to do a checkup scan on my device and it deleted all of my games' files and when I try to restore any file it tells me that it failed. I attached a photo of it here. please help.

eset.PNG

• Administrators

Sality is a file infecting virus, the detection is correct. Restoring files probably failed because already clean versions of the files exist in the target location.

I will also add all external drives that have been attached to this PC should also be scanned:

Spreading on removable media

The virus copies itself into the root folders of removable drives using a random filename.

The filename has one of the following extensions:

• .exe
  • .pif
  • .cmd

The following file is dropped in the same folder:

• autorun.inf

The AUTORUN.INF file contains the path to the malware executable.

Thus, the virus ensures it is started each time infected media is inserted into the computer.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Viruses infect existing legitimate files. They either append or pre-pend their code and modify the entry point to make sure that the code is executed. If you ran a file that was cleaned by ESET and it failed to run, please email it to samples[at]eset.com, ideally along with the original version of the file. Some viruses infect files in an irreversible way and restoring them to the original form is not possible.

• Administrators

The best would be to email a pair of a detected and a cleaned file that doesn't run after cleaning in an archive encrypted with the password "infected".