100% price increase

DrTeeth

Very disappointed to see that ESET's price has doubled in the last year on a like-for-like basis. £17 last year for a 3 user/1 yr licence from Amazon, £35 this year. The slightly lower price (£31.50) from ESET for a download is not good value when Amazon ships a physical product. It is unlikely that I will defect, but I am checking out other products, most of which are cheaper.

• Administrators

In Slovakia, we haven't changed the price for a long time. When there was a change in price in the past, the price was reduced. The same goes for the US to my best knowledge. The pricing policy is a matter of distributors in particular countries and basically should be similar to the price of other competetive products. A new license of ESET Smart Security for one computer costs 49,90€ for 1 year here in Slovakia (updates are a bit cheaper then). ESET Family Security pack for 3 computers and 3 mobile devices costs 69,90€ for 1 year.

I also have to jump in as well, since i sell the product. :)

In the United States ESET has been selling Nod32 for 39.99, and Smart Security for 59.99.

These prices have never changed afaik except for reducing as Marcos stated.

However the following example applies to anywhere in the world including Europe.

If someone buys x1 AV, its 39.99 1yr

If someone buys x5 AV, its 99.99 1yr

However 39.99 x 5 = 199.95, not 99, so you are getting a deal for buying multiple products.

As a partner/reseller/distributor you can purchase in bulk and receive the same special deals the home users get.

So if you can imagine, Amazon buys x5000 licenses from ESET 1 year, they can sell them to customers for a lot less.

If the following year, Amazon decides to only purchase x1000 licenses from ESET 1year, then they definitely will not be able to sell to customers at the same cost the following year.

While ESET has never changed its prices, Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Bestbuy, Target, and any other online retailers will always be adjusting their prices and giving special bargain deals.

Prices will go up and down all the time, however ESET is not to blame of the price fluctuations that distributors are going to have.

While you search for another product, i would recommend looking simply for a better deal then Amazon for ESET, or find a distributor that can continue to give you renewal rates, instead of Amazon.

Looking for a better product then ESET will surely be hard to find. :)

Thanks for reading.

I found 1 at your asking rate:

Price:

US $29.99 Approximately £17.95

hxxp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESET-NOD32-ANTIVIRUS-2014-3-Users-3-PCs-New-in-Retail-Box-/151314355232?pt=US_Antivirus_Security_Software&hash=item233b09d420

Ships from the US i think, but its still the UK Ebay and its £17

Hi,

ESET's price is not significantly cheaper than Amazon's.

I would not buy software that is intended for another country - there is a chance it would not activate so US intended ESET may not work in the UK. ESET is one of the more expensive AVs at the moment.

In Slovakia, we haven't changed the price for a long time. When there was a change in price in the past, the price was reduced. The same goes for the US to my best knowledge. The pricing policy is a matter of distributors in particular countries and basically should be similar to the price of other competetive products. A new license of ESET Smart Security for one computer costs 49,90€ for 1 year here in Slovakia (updates are a bit cheaper then). ESET Family Security pack for 3 computers and 3 mobile devices costs 69,90€ for 1 year.

The price of the product I am interested in, 3PC/1yr x2, was £17 last year from Amazon, is £35 this year and ESET UK's price is £31. At least half of the products I have checked are significantly cheaper. A 10 PC Vipre licence is £50. Norton AV is £24 for 3 licences. ESET is no longer competative IMHO. Money is money and times are tight.

Edited by DrTeeth

Hi Dr Teeth.

Must be saving for a TS590 or a TS990 (ugly thing it is) Hi! 

Didn't know there was a price increase my license runs out just after Christmas, maybe the price increase will generate a mass exodus!.

I can say NOD32 never given me an ounce of trouble, I came from Avast and glad I did, that's down right now due to hacking, whats good an AV if they don't patch their software.... with them you get plagued with adverts  and unwanted installs and that was the paid version, Chrome and Grime Fighter are the top two on top of that  you got BSODs non of that here, to me it's a breath of fresh air,  guess maybe I won't be 'griping' as much' I've got  until late December to 'huff and puff'.

I always think you can tell a good AV from the forum they keep.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Saving for an FTDX1200 ;-).

Bitdefender 3 user/1pc £11.39 - and it has been hitting top marks in many reviews. I also do like ESET, but 70 sovs against 23 for 6 PCs...it's a no brainer.

73's de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Hi Dr Teeth.

Must be saving for a TS590 or a TS990 (ugly thing it is) Hi! 

Didn't know there was a price increase my license runs out just after Christmas

There will be discounts around Christmas and New Year.

You can always count on that.

@DRTeeth

Yikes, one of the FTDX rigs had a display issue didn't they? They display went 14 months after purchase and Yaesu didn't want to know, according to one guy on QRZ dot com a while back, not very please he wasn't.

Better get back on topic:

I'm only a single license user, it would be different for multi licenses users, that is when the prices start rising I should have known that, it's a different kettle of fish with half a dozen machines.

Dave G4COE   G-qrp 8621

Hi Dave,

Saving for an FTDX1200 ;-).

Bitdefender 3 user/1pc £11.39 - and it has been hitting top marks in many reviews. I also do like ESET, but 70 sovs against 23 for 6 PCs...it's a no brainer.

73's de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

My motto is "Always try before you buy"  So if you're considering another product BD or some other AV, use their 30-day trial before you buy it. 

On the other hand, ESET very rarely get's "5 stars" in reviews as some of the other vendors....I always do the "review" myself and use the product a good while to get my own opinion. If I would go by the reviews I would probably never have tried ESET in the first place.   :)

Edited by SweX

just to add my 2 cents 

from personal expirance  do not use bitdefender  it is very heavy on the system the firewall is rubbish and hard to configure,  scans can take up to 24 hours to complete.  

lastly there customer service is rubbish too you have to wait 24 to 48 hours for answers sometimes a week  it took me 3 weeks of emailing daily to get a refund from them.

stay with eset it is 1000% better and  well worth the money and yes money is very tight for me too 

Edited by dom1da

Ditched Bitdefender pretty sharpish for various reasons. Not that I care to test it again, it seemed to have deleted some system folders - the system could boot up but I restored from the backup taken before the install.

@G4COE - I am from that big city that you mentioned that you are near to.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I would suggest contacting ESET's UK distributor if you have a question about pricing.  I'm not familiar with how each distributor sells in their territory, but sometimes there are various promotions and specials they can apply if you ask for them when inquiring about a purchase or renewal.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Amazon's price has dropped £6 per 3 PC licence and it is now cheaper than buying from ESET. Hopefully ESET will come out with some offers if I wait until the last minute. It's a bit like one gets offers to shareware only if one uninstalls it whilst fully intending to buy it.

I am in the UK. I am keeping an eye on the UK Amazon site. AV companies tend to regionalise their products so I would not want to risk getting a version not intended for my locale. I an VERY jealous of the deals our colonial cousins :D get in retail. It breaks my heart every time I visit the USA.

@ Dr Teeth.

Just like a union man eh, one out all out.

I take no notice of reviews,  well I do but they go in one ear come out the other, I do take notice of users though this is why I said you can tell a good AV from it's forum.

I often wonder how AV testers make their money, each and everyone has different methods of testing, have you seen this? hxxp://www.melih.com/2011/11/27/av-comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-anti-virus-vendors/

Everyone has different computer configurations and not everyone visits the same sites so the playing field is very uneven. I for one have non essential services stopped and always do the washing up before shutting down, cleaning all the cookies and temporary files etc, you don't know whats lurking in there waiting for the next reboot ... just my way of doing things.

One thing I 'try' and avoid when downloading any software is to get it from any old where... always get it from the vendors,  from the horses mouth so to speak.

Dave

I for one have non essential services stopped and always do the washing up before shutting down, cleaning all the cookies and temporary files etc, you don't know whats lurking in there waiting for the next reboot ... just my way of doing things.

No, not just your way of doing things. I do that too. ;)

One thing I 'try' and avoid when downloading any software is to get it from any old where... always get it from the vendors,  from the horses mouth so to speak.

Dave

Yes if it's possible that's always the best, but there are exceptions with some software even if you get it steamy hot straight from the horse.

Edited by SweX

Hi SweX... glad I'm not alone.

As for downloading files, I've noted a time or two files can be slightly larger when you download them from third party say rather than the proper source.

Dave

This is true Dave, sometimes the third party has created their own installer and bundled it with goodies that makes them extra $$ !!

The comment about your maintenance before every shutdown is very unusual to me, but it sounds like a great idea, especially if Swex likes it !

I am also one to take caution when dealing with computer systems, however recently, i have been confidently telling a few that ESET is worthy of trust.

Even if you had a malicious js or exe sitting in c:\users\username\appdata\temp or Temp Int Files , ESET should catch it; Either by heuristics on file execution, live grid, or advanced memory scanner, even startup-scans, if it executes during shutdown or logon.

Don't forget definitions if it's already been introduced into the wild and come in contact with an ESET protected system. :)

:)

I am in the UK. I am keeping an eye on the UK Amazon site. AV companies tend to regionalise their products so I would not want to risk getting a version not intended for my locale. I an VERY jealous of the deals our colonial cousins :D get in retail. It breaks my heart every time I visit the USA.

I have resisted saying that in deference to ESET. :mellow:

As for downloading files, I've noted a time or two files can be slightly larger when you download them from third party say rather than the proper source.

Dave

That is why I buy kosher retail copies.

Dave

Hey,

Yeah I always use the "source" when downloading as well, it feels better and the risk of finding a "present" in the installer is also smaller. :)

Edited by SweX