Gamer Mode: Why there's no shortcut/hotkey way to activate it?

That's quite an inconvenient way to activate a Gamer Mode any time you start a game.

Wouldn't it be better to activate it by a shortcut (`egui.exe --gamer-mode` for example) or by a configurable hotkey?

Have you tried this?

Activate Enable Gamer mode when running applications in full-screen mode automatically under Advanced setup (F5) > Tools > Gamer mode to have Gamer mode start whenever you initiate a full-screen application and stop after you exit the application.

Activate Disable Gamer mode automatically after to define the amount of time after which Gamer mode will automatically be disabled.

https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/idh_page_settings_antivirus.html?idh_config_gamer.html

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

Yeah, I know they have seen it so don't really want to post on here, but being able to change what you see when you right click the eset icon would be handy. E.G. You could add gamer mode, firewall troubleshooter etc. 

Edited by peteyt

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2020 at 3:38 AM, Marcos said:

What issues are you having when gamer mode is deactivated while playing games?

I'm having issues with sim racing. Alerts pop up during a race, causing chaos for me, and other drivers around me (I have a broadcasted race on YouTube to prove it!). Also, it remains on top.

I recently purchased a 5 device version of Eset, but now I'm trying to sort out this Gamer mode issue.

I run my sim (iRacing) in windowed mode fyi. A shortcut key, or at least a Taskbar quick-enable would be useful to say the least.

Same goes for any other application you don't want pop-ups in (ie streaming or capturing video)

Cheers

• Administrators

1, Gamer mode should activate automatically if an application running in full-screen mode is detected. Doesn't it work or the application does not run on full screen?

2, What kind of pop-ups do you mean? Please provide a screen shot. Normally you should not get any pop-ups unless a threat had been detected.

Thx Marcos

1. I run in windowed mode, so it doesn't auto activate

2. In my case, there was a potential threat pop-up (crypto mining software I use). No screenshot available sorry.

I guess I could turn off real-time protection scans, but prefer to have convenient access to gamer mode (in a perfect world!)

Cheers

• Administrators

If you use the crypto mining sw on purpose, why didn't you exclude it from detection? It must be constantly detected and remove by the startup scan, real-time protection or during on-demand scans of the disk.

I've only just installed this software, but I think I'm slowly teaching it.

1st couple times, I only clicked "Ignore", assuming it would exclude that file. I was a little confused by having to click "Clean" with the correct tick boxes checked and unchecked.

I guess I'll see it less and less now, so problem kinda solving itself to a degree.

• Most Valued Members
22 hours ago, lowlanda said:

I've only just installed this software, but I think I'm slowly teaching it.

1st couple times, I only clicked "Ignore", assuming it would exclude that file. I was a little confused by having to click "Clean" with the correct tick boxes checked and unchecked.

I guess I'll see it less and less now, so problem kinda solving itself to a degree.

Clicking Clean will have ESET clean your miner , you would need to ignore it and exclude it from detection.

Edited by Nightowl

Getting back to Gamer-mode though.

In summary, we'd like easier access to it.

I assume it's hidden to enhance security, ie not make it easy to manually or automatically activate?

Is this purely a design choice, or could it actually be moved/made now accessible?

• Most Valued Members
On 9/23/2020 at 7:42 AM, lowlanda said:

Getting back to Gamer-mode though.

In summary, we'd like easier access to it.

I assume it's hidden to enhance security, ie not make it easy to manually or automatically activate?

Is this purely a design choice, or could it actually be moved/made now accessible?

You can activate it easily from the GUI manually 

it's activated automatically once you go into a full-screen application.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Nightowl said:

The problem is that the user is playing the games in a windowed mode so it won't detect as its not full screen.

There are two suggestions that would possibly fix this although the first one is one I've brought up a few times and know they have seen it and it isn't probably an easy fix and certainly not a priority

1. The option to change what you see when you right click the eset icon. That way users can add things they use the most such as enable gaming mode, open firewall troubleshooter etc. While certainly not a critical feature I think this would be an interesting one as it gives users some choice.

2. The other thing which I don't know if it exists is the ability to add specific games into eset so eset would turn on the gamer mode automatically when this game launches regardless of if that game is in full screen or not but if you've got loads of games this might be a little annoying and time consuming.

Like the user has posted also keyboard shortcuts could also be a potential solution. 

The problem is that some users may end up leaving gaming mode enabled which I presume isn't the best idea. Yes they are protected stl but notifications won't be shown and other stuff 

+1 for an easier access to gamer mode.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:18 AM, Nightowl said:

Thanks for your solution, but there are many situations where games do not run full screen.

Not only with 'windowed' games, but also such as in my situation - as a VR user.

As VR becomes more popular this may become more of a problem.

Even better would be the option to specify executable that are considered games. Then we could load our games into that list and ESET wouldn't need to 'guess' whether a full windowed app is a game or not as it'd know.