Strange firewall requests

Go to solution Solved by SgtBilko,

I have Cyber Security Pro inslalled on 3 mac computers.  Each has the firewall set up to prevent any outgoing communication, interactive mode.  I have a hardware SonicWall Firewall which prevents all incoming connections.

This week all three mac's have been asking for permission to use remote ports 80 and 443 for apps called a, d, h, n, ], } and ".  The remote locations are apple, google and Akaimai servers.  I have denied every request.

I have run a full scan as well as a Sophos scan and Dr.Web, with no threats found.

I am still worried.  Should I be ?

Thank you

Now application "E" wants access to remote port 443.

I would welcome any informed opinion

Thank you

Edited by SgtBilko

This is driving me crazy now.  I have tried google but can find nothing relevant.

Yesterday afternoon the following "applications" tried to get out through my firewall to IPs on 80 or 443

"R"  17.172.100.79 (apple)

"A"  23.214.59.223 (Akamai)

"\"  176.32.102.65 (Amazon)

"i"  108.160.165.83 (Dropbox)

Is no one able to shed any light on this ?

This is happening on all three of my macs.  It started about a week ago.  I have not installed any new applcations around that time and certainly not across all three macs.  I have run eset, sophos, symantic and Dr Web virus checkers and all report clean.

I have called Eset tech supprt who said that if the virus checker reports nothing then I have nothing to worry about.  They said it will be an application searching for updates.  I find that very difficult to believe.  If you wrote a legitiamte app why would you create apps on the fly with such obscure names to search for updates, as well as the above the following have also tried ....   }  ] 

• 6 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

Just received this pop-up. No clue what this means, computer is a strange numbered sort of mac-adress.

attachicon.gifScreenCap 2014-11-16 at 14.02.32kopie.jpg

From your previous posts I'm assuming you're using version 5 on Yosemite - since that version of ECSP is unsupported on OS X Yosemite you are going to continue having unusual things like this happening (since version 5 has no idea of the new configurations, settings, features, protocols, etc). I suggest uninstalling version 5 and installing with version 6.0.14 which has full compatibility with Yosemite.

• ESET Insiders

Just received this pop-up. No clue what this means, computer is a strange numbered sort of mac-adress.

From your previous posts I'm assuming you're using version 5 on Yosemite - since that version of ECSP is unsupported on OS X Yosemite you are going to continue having unusual things like this happening (since version 5 has no idea of the new configurations, settings, features, protocols, etc). I suggest uninstalling version 5 and installing with version 6.0.14 which has full compatibility with Yosemite.

Hi planet,

Thank you much for your prompt reply and directions! I'll give that a spin tomorrow on my OSX Yosemite 10.10 test SSD! I like it to be able to try before I 'buy'! ;)

Cheers

• ESET Insiders

Hi planet,

One more thing, how do I manage my current settings if I remove v5 and clean install v6? Thanks again for your directions

Cheers

• Most Valued Members

Hi planet,

Thank you much for your prompt reply and directions! I'll give that a spin tomorrow on my OSX Yosemite 10.10 test SSD! I like it to be able to try before I 'buy'! ;)

Cheers

Hi planet,

One more thing, how do I manage my current settings if I remove v5 and clean install v6? Thanks again for your directions

Cheers

Hi BDMSTUDIOS,

ESET provides a great Knowledge Base article about exporting your settings into a file (to then import): "How can I import or export my ESET Cyber Security or Cyber Security Pro configuration settings using an .xml file?"

Personally I found that trying to do this with a major version difference caused some issues in the long run, but you can give it a go anyway.  :)

• ESET Insiders

Hi planet,

Cheers

Hi planet,

Cheers

Hi BDMSTUDIOS,

ESET provides a great Knowledge Base article about exporting your settings into a file (to then import): "How can I import or export my ESET Cyber Security or Cyber Security Pro configuration settings using an .xml file?"

Personally I found that trying to do this with a major version difference caused some issues in the long run, but you can give it a go anyway.  :)

Hi planet,

Thanks again for your quick reply and directions, I'll give it a try!

Cheers