Issues, Ideas & Feedback for ESET Cyber Security & ESET Cyber Security Pro

• Most Valued Members

Issues, Ideas & Feedback for ESET Cyber Security & ESET Cyber Security Pro...

Edited by planet

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Great idea!

+ Better window control for Firewall > Setup (Interactive mode) Now we have a fixed window / no green (+) fullscreen button:

post-3436-0-89040500-1399130485_thumb.jpg

As I have a 24" monitor a lot of desktop space is wasted and to much scrolling/adjusting colum width in this window.

Edited by BDMSTUDIOS

• Most Valued Members

+ Better window control for Firewall > Setup (Interactive mode) Now we have a fixed window / no green (+) fullscreen button:

Just discovered this now - instead of viewing the rules via Preferences, just click "Configure Rules and Zones..." within the Main Window > Setup > Firewall. Then you have a resizable, flexible window.

Edited by planet

• ESET Insiders

Just discovered this now - instead of clicking the Setup button, just click "Configure Rules and Zones...". Then you have a resizable, flexible window.

attachicon.giffw1.jpg

attachicon.giffw2a.jpg

Thanks planet, GREAT find....

• 3 weeks later...

Planet, 

I was doing exactly what you did, comparing and found that HTTPS and IMAPS etc. are not there....a few of us stated that in the non-pro forum, but I'm new here, I see your remarks are pinned (not sure how to do that), but i wanted to ask, do/should these items be submitted via user feedback area to get more traction, or do we have to just wait for random admins to see and hopefully bring up?

Thanks

• Most Valued Members

Planet, 

I was doing exactly what you did, comparing and found that HTTPS and IMAPS etc. are not there....a few of us stated that in the non-pro forum, but I'm new here, I see your remarks are pinned (not sure how to do that), but i wanted to ask, do/should these items be submitted via user feedback area to get more traction, or do we have to just wait for random admins to see and hopefully bring up?

Thanks

Hi dbcooper, didn't even notice... I just made a topic with my ideas on here and I guess it has been pinned. I originally emailed ESET Support with the retina icon issue beforehand and was told it may be implemented in the next version (during Version 6 beta, but was told for Version 7) and now that Version 6 was released officially, I thought sharing more ideas and thoughts with other users would be better.

• 4 months later...

Having come from using Smart Security for a number of years, there are a few things that I find myself missing when using Cyber Security. Here are a few issues/annoyances that I have encountered, or features that I would like to see:

• Ability to add multiple ports to a firewall rule (i.e. 80, 443, 843), instead of being restricted to a single port or port range.
  • I find the firewall rule editor quite cumbersome. I much prefer the single edit window used in Smart Security where I can edit all elements of a rule, instead of the series of dialogue windows used by Cyber Security.
  • Ability to apply firewall rules to all profiles. There are a number of firewall rules that would make sense across all profiles, setting them individually in each profile is tedious, updating them if there is a small change is even worse.
  • Ability to modify the profile that a firewall rule appears under.
  • Ability to use a predefined zone as an argument to a firewall rule.
  • Improved window management (remember window sizes and layout). Having to resize the Rule and Zone Editor and then resize the column widths every time it's opened is beyond annoying.
Edited by panther-modern

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Insiders

Add search for [name] and [Application] fields in the "Rule and Zone Editor"

v5.0.115 on OSX 10.9.5 -> don't know if yet implemented in v6?

Cheers

Edited by BDMSTUDIOS

I'l like something that would list the interfaces that are in a specific zone inside the firewall 

When an interface is detected you get asked what zone it's in, and you don't see this inside the firewall preferences

• ESET Insiders

Hi planet,

Great thread, thanks for your effort and time! BUT, on the other hand it keeps me from upgrading to v6.0.14.0. Any idea when ESET will fix all bugs and issues, do you have direct contact with the techies at ESET?

Thanks again and cheers!

• Most Valued Members

I'l like something that would list the interfaces that are in a specific zone inside the firewall 

When an interface is detected you get asked what zone it's in, and you don't see this inside the firewall preferences

I think you get asked what profile you want to use for the interface, and then in advanced options you can add a zone if you want Cyber Security Pro to remember this connection. You can see current profiles used on active Network Interfaces by going to the main window, clicking 'Setup' on the right and then 'Firewall'. You can alter or modify zones either by staying on the same page and clicking 'Configure rules and zones...' and clicking on the 'Zones' tab, or by visiting the Preferences window via the menubar icon and clicking 'Firewall' and then the 'Zones' tab. There you can decide how to associate interfaces or networks with profiles, including using a whole interface to decide on a profile instead of a specific network.

Hi planet,

Great thread, thanks for your effort and time! BUT, on the other hand it keeps me from upgrading to v6.0.14.0. Any idea when ESET will fix all bugs and issues, do you have direct contact with the techies at ESET?

Thanks again and cheers!

I have no idea when or if anything will be looked into or fixed. :( No, I don't have direct contact.

I think you get asked what profile you want to use for the interface, and then in advanced options you can add a zone if you want Cyber Security Pro to remember this connection. You can see current profiles used on active Network Interfaces by going to the main window, clicking 'Setup' on the right and then 'Firewall'. You can alter or modify zones either by staying on the same page and clicking 'Configure rules and zones...' and clicking on the 'Zones' tab, or by visiting the Preferences window via the menubar icon and clicking 'Firewall' and then the 'Zones' tab. There you can decide how to associate interfaces or networks with profiles, including using a whole interface to decide on a profile instead of a specific network.

I do not see a list of interfaces like ppp0, en0, awdl0 etc, all I see are rules, zones or profiles, and the zones lists subnets (and the occasional wireless SSID)

I don't see any tie in between interface and any subnet .. something that would be nice, i.e.  en0:172.16.1.1/24  in the zones would have been nice

• Most Valued Members

I do not see a list of interfaces like ppp0, en0, awdl0 etc, all I see are rules, zones or profiles, and the zones lists subnets (and the occasional wireless SSID)

I don't see any tie in between interface and any subnet .. something that would be nice, i.e.  en0:172.16.1.1/24  in the zones would have been nice

Hi Weety, in the zones section you can add or modify an existing zone where you are able to add an interface using the 'Interface' section and with your example you can also add a subnet to create the zone you require. Additional interfaces are automatically added to the list when the interface is active.

Edited by planet

Planet

I had noticed that, but could not work out if the Activators were 'AND' or 'OR' together

eg "Interface = Wifi"  *AND* "Subnet = 192.168.1.1/25"

Documentation does seem a little sketchy on Zones and Activators in the User Guide

Not all interfaces are available to add (for example utun0 and ppp0 can only be added if present, e.g. in a VPN)

Edited by Weety

Planet

I had noticed that, but could not work out if the Activators were 'AND' or 'OR' together

eg "Interface = Wifi"  *AND* "Subnet = 192.168.1.1/25"

Documentation does seem a little sketchy on Zones and Activators in the User Guide

Not all interfaces are available to add (for example utun0 and ppp0 can only be added if present, e.g. in a VPN)

I asked about the AND/OR rule operators and brought up the lack of documentation a few months ago. I realize that writing documentation is not particularly enjoyable, but if users are willing to go through the effort of documenting issues and suggestions, I would hope that ESET would at least participate in the discussions here a little more. The tone of this forum has been relatively constructive, instead of the usual internet vitriol, but it is beginning to seem like a bit of a one-sided conversation.

ESET already has a huge knowledgebase. Also for ESET Cyber Security Pro.

So you can e.g. find this about the firewall rules:

How do I create a firewall rule to allow/disallow use of a certain application in ESET Cyber Security Pro?

This "online documentation" they can edit of course fast and you can even send comments about a specific article to ESET if you find something to improve (below the article).

Updating the internal (offline) documentation of course needs more time, firstly because any changes needs to be checked many times there and secondly it needs of course a new version upgrade.

So be patient and maybe and let them some time.

How do I create a firewall rule to allow/disallow use of a certain application in ESET Cyber Security Pro?

Unfortunately this lacks information about the new options on configuring a Zone

Unfortunately this lacks information about the new options on configuring a Zone

This is what I don't understand, it would only take a few minutes for a member of the ESET team to provide a little bit of additional information, like how zone activators are interpreted (AND/OR), yet they can't be bothered. Why they refuse to respond at all to most of the requests for info here is beyond me, they seem to have left things to other forum users to provide support for their product.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am not sure whether it has already been mentioned, but I would like the logging to be improved. Looking at the events log, virus definition updates whether succeeded or failed are not listed. If virus definition updates would be logged as well I would know for sure whether those definitions are up-to-date and the update process itself is functioning properly. Currently I only get these update pop-ups. So no update history is available anywhere.

• Most Valued Members

I am not sure whether it has already been mentioned, but I would like the logging to be improved. Looking at the events log, virus definition updates whether succeeded or failed are not listed. If virus definition updates would be logged as well I would know for sure whether those definitions are up-to-date and the update process itself is functioning properly. Currently I only get these update pop-ups. So no update history is available anywhere.

Updates that have failed do appear in the 'Events' log, under the 'ESET Daemon' module and entries begin with 'Error updating Antivirus modules:', although there is no logging for successful updates (you could view in the update section the 'Last successful update' entry to see the last time it was updated, or else you receive the 'Update is not necessary' message). An option to also view successful updates along with the failed entries would be nice, like what Smart Security has.

• 2 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

Just wanted to say thanks to ESET for fixing the number of major issues with ECS & ECSP, especially with the shutdown issue and problems with esets_proxy.  :) Will continue to update this topic on the first post for the last few things here and there that need to be certain it has been fixed after a few days of using ECSP, but it looks positive!

• ESET Insiders

Just wanted to say thanks to ESET for fixing the number of major issues with ECS & ECSP, especially with the shutdown issue and problems with esets_proxy.  :) Will continue to update this topic on the first post for the last few things here and there that need to be certain it has been fixed after a few days of using ECSP, but it looks positive!

Great thread and KUDOS to @planet and all others participating here. What are still the main (crull pit) issue with release 6.1.12.0 of ECSP for Mac? My ECSP 5.0.115.0 is working perfect, except for the shutdown lag.

Cheers

Edited by BDMSTUDIOS