The older version of ESET Endpoint Security cannot be removed

Dear ESET Experts,

I'm currently working on the update of our computers to the latest version of ESET Endpoint Security v 7.2.2055.0.

Unfortunately it seems the update failed on a lot of computers with the following error message:

SoftwareInstallation: Installation failed with: (0x643), Fatal error during installation (0x643), The older version of ESET Endpoint Security cannot be removed.

The affected computers are in many countries such as Germany, USA, China etc, therefore the uninstall via the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode is not possible bacause the more than 110 affected clients worldwide. Sadly this number seems to be inrcreasing.

Could you please recommend a solution? 

Thank you in avance.

Hello Marcos,

Thank you for your quick repy. I tried to upgrade mostly the version 7.1.2045.5 and maybe a few 7.0.2100.4.

Additional information:

On 2th of January the ESMC server and webconsole was upgraded to the latest version:

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.1 (7.1.717.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.1 (7.1.393.0)

I started the bulk update on the endpoints after a few days. It finished successfully on 1870 computers and unsuccessfully on cca. 85 clients.

I feel maybe the problem is exist since the ESMC upgrade.  

Best regards

Zoltan

• ESET Staff

Hi Zoltan,

On one of the machines that the upgrade failed on via ESMC Task, if you try to upgrade the Client Manually do you get any error messages? 

To help with the diagnostics while running the upgrade please enable Advanced Installation Logging as per the following KB:

https://support.eset.com/kb406

Regards,

Hello TomPark,

Here are the files. Thank you for your efforts in advance. 
As additional information, the update finished successfully on 1879 computers but failed on cca. 85.

Best regards

errormessage-01.PNG

errormessage-02.PNG

install.log setupapi.dev.log setupapi.setup.log

Edited by Zoltan Endresz

Sorry Marcos, we are talking about remote computers, so it is not possible to fix them on the known Restart safe mode > Start the uninstaller > Restart in normal mode > Reinstall the ESET  way, as we can read it on the manual called [KB2289] Uninstall ESET manually using the ESET uninstaller.

I did it on the past a lot of times on Windows 7 but I was never able to do it on Windows 10. My available remote managemet tools are the following:

- Remote Desktop (mstsc)
- Funk Proxy Master
- TeamViewer

The affected cca 90 computers with failed update are for example in Mexico, USA, Italy and so on.

Unfortunately three changes were happened in nearly same time:

- ESET Security Management Console updgrade to 7.1
- ESET Management Agent update from 7.0 to 7.1
- ESET Endpoint Security update from 7.1 to 7.2

I'm affraid to touch the system because I does not have idee which component cause the problem and do not want to increase the number of the problematic clients. Approximately 1600 further clients are waiting for the update in our enviroment.

Edited by Zoltan Endresz

Dear ESET experts,

It seems the manual uninstallation in Windiows 10 safe mode works on remote computers also.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of time and have to get permission from the colleagues from an another time zone and so on - not so funny on several dozen of problematic clients.

My question vould be, which is the problematic component of the three new - see upper. Is there any info concerning this matter?

Maybe do you plan to fix this issue by a new software release? 

• 2 weeks later...