uTorrent problem after 13.0.22.0 install

Hi minimalist I suggest you to switch from utorrent to qbittorrent , it has the same gui as utorrent but minus the extra and unwanted software that comes attached with. in my case qbittorrent starts up in 3 seconds with out any problems and I have eset is installed here. maybe the problem lies that eset scans the traffic / outbound and inbound connections when it " phones home " utorrent is riddled with adware and bundled with all sorts of nasties...

Edited by Crystal_Lake_Camper
typo

• 2 weeks later...

This problem/conflict with eset and utorrent is causing a huge surge of cpu usage of ekrn.exe. Fix it or stop updating this . To all those suggesting using qtorrent I say this: I'd rather drop eset all together than switching from utorrent. Fix it and dont ask me to provide you with files and in order to for you to find the cause of error you created in the first place.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, dkall said:

This problem/conflict with eset and utorrent is causing a huge surge of cpu usage of ekrn.exe. Fix it or stop updating this . To all those suggesting using qtorrent I say this: I'd rather drop eset all together than switching from utorrent. Fix it and dont ask me to provide you with files and in order to for you to find the cause of error you created in the first place.

Utorrent is detected as a potentially unwanted application for a reason which makes it impossible to whitelist it. However, you can add utorrent.exe to the performance exclusions and it will run normally.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, dkall said:

I've just replaced utorrent. I always had it but decided if there was an ad free one I might as well use that as there have been a few tales of bad practices and I'd rather use something with a better reputation. 

I'm not sure exactly what the problem Is that causes the issues as of lately however it seems putting it into exclusions fixes it

14 hours ago, peteyt said:

I've just replaced utorrent. I always had it but decided if there was an ad free one I might as well use that as there have been a few tales of bad practices and I'd rather use something with a better reputation. 

I'm not sure exactly what the problem Is that causes the issues as of lately however it seems putting it into exclusions fixes it

I m not interested in replacing it stop pushing other clients, we know them we just dont care about 'em. I 've put exclusions but still I have to disable eset protection alltogether in order to launch utorrent. I 'm giving it a few days to fix it, adn then Im ll just use some other firewall/antivirus. DONT FIX THINGS THAT DONT NEED TO BE FIXED.

• Administrators

We've tested it and adding utorrent.exe resolved the issue. Unfortunately, because the file is not 100% clean and it's a potentially unwanted application, it must be scanned which now takes longer with Advanced machine learning integrated in the product.

The exucatable is unfortunately crafted in a non-standard way; it's runtime packed and unpacks to 6 MB. It has additional code embedded which is scanned by Augur and both files are suspicious from Augur's point of view which is why it analyzes them further. Since the app runs its copy from another directory, the scan time doubles unfortunately.

• Most Valued Members
36 minutes ago, dkall said:

I m not interested in replacing it stop pushing other clients, we know them we just dont care about 'em. I 've put exclusions but still I have to disable eset protection alltogether in order to launch utorrent. I 'm giving it a few days to fix it, adn then Im ll just use some other firewall/antivirus. DONT FIX THINGS THAT DONT NEED TO BE FIXED.

Firstly I wasn't suggesting removing it just the fact that there is probably a reason it is being flagged. I have used it previously until a few days ago as it was a well known torrent application but just decided I might as well use something that doesn't seem suspicious.

Previous people seemed to have the problem fixed with putting it into exceptions so unsure why it is still not working. Disabling advanced machine learning might help but this is probably not recommended

1 hour ago, dkall said:

I 've put exclusions but still I have to disable eset protection alltogether in order to launch utorrent.

Try this.

Refer to the below screen shot. Create a real-time scan exclusion for utorrent.exe specifying the full path name as either a hash value or detection name exclusion. For the later, enter "ML/Augur potentially unwanted application" less the quote marks.

Eset_Exception.thumb.png.61ee9f264342718aede5ff34a1f093b2.png

• Administrators

Just a correction to the above post, utorrent.exe must be added to the performance exclusions, ie. exclusions where you do not specify the detection name:

image.png

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Just a correction to the above post, utorrent.exe must be added to the performance exclusions, ie. exclusions where you do not specify the detection name:

I am interpreting the real-time performance exclusion differently. Per Eset online help:

Performance exclusions allow you to exclude files and folders from scanning. Useful to exclude file-level scanning of some gaming applications or when causing abnormal system behavior or increased performance.

This would indicate to me the performance exclusion is excluding the process from on going real-time monitoring operations. It is not however preventing real-time scanning activities that occur at process startup time. It is this activity that is being detected by Augur and resulting in the ML/Augur potentially unwanted application alert.

Therefore it appears to me that for uTorrent, the Detection exclusion must be included along with the Performance exclusion.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

For clarification, files in performance exclusions are not scanned whatsoever and therefore these exclusions are superior to detection exclusions. Without scanning files, the kernel (ekrn.exe) cannot know if a particular file matches a specific pattern and therefore detection exclusions are not applied.

A few comments here.

The Performance exclusion for real-time scanning is new being added with ver. 13. As such I assume many are not aware of it. Next is how this exclusion is named. It should be named Complete exclusion which in reality what it is as previously commented upon. Finally if one clicks of the gear symbol for real-time settings via the GUI, there is an exclusion option. However that setting takes you to the Detection exclusion. This should be changed to show both exclusion options.

Even if you exclude performance, it will be slow. Alternatively, you can enter the utorrent directory full path for exclude detection.

(appdata\roaming\utorrnet\)

But I'm not sure if this will affect security.

Someone please comment.

Edited by daniel keith

5 hours ago, daniel keith said:

Someone please comment.

If you exclude the entire directory, any malware and the like resident there will also be excluded from detection.

One should always chose the least permissive solution when it comes to security exclusions. Therefore, the performance exclusion for utorrent.exe is the best solution.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, itman said:

One should always chose the least permissive solution when it comes to security exclusions. Therefore, the performance exclusion for utorrent.exe is the best solution.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:31 PM, Rami said:

Save your self the hassle , Switch to an open source client , Deluge or Qbittorent.

Doing so freezes the Task Manager momentarily.

I was severely annoyed and decided to switch to qbittorrent.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, daniel keith said:

If adding utorrent.exe didn't work for you, we could look into it if you wish to troubleshoot it further. We made a deep analysis of the issue and also adding the app executable to performance exclusions resolved the performance issue for us.

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, daniel keith said:

Doing so freezes the Task Manager momentarily.

Could you please explain more why does your Task Manager freeze from qBittorrent/Deluge?

Just when you run it the Task Manager freezes?

• Most Valued Members
57 minutes ago, Rami said:

Could you please explain more why does your Task Manager freeze from qBittorrent/Deluge?

Just when you run it the Task Manager freezes?

I think he may have meant utorrent froze task manager and so being sick of the problems switched to qbittorent 

• Most Valued Members
48 minutes ago, peteyt said:

I think he may have meant utorrent froze task manager and so being sick of the problems switched to qbittorent 

uTorrent was good back in the old days , but now it's gone down hill sadly , and also they started to give ads with their software, so there are other alternatives which do the job the same and sometimes better.

• 11 months later...

I experienced the same issue. Eset Interenet security replaced Avast, and it killed U-Torrent. The wierd thing is that it not allows even the installer to run, so I'm unable to reinstall the U-torrent application while Eset is active.  Is there any carantene option to restore deleted files?  

2 hours ago, Szjanos21 said:

I experienced the same issue. Eset Interenet security replaced Avast, and it killed U-Torrent. The wierd thing is that it not allows even the installer to run, so I'm unable to reinstall the U-torrent application while Eset is active.  Is there any carantene option to restore deleted files?  

The best suggestion I can give you is to not use uTorrent. It is not recommended anymore and many security software detect it as a PUP. Switch to something like qBittorrent:

https://www.qbittorrent.org/