Being asked for new rules for YourPhone.exe every day

I'm on 12.1.31.0 on Win 10 Pro.

I've recently done a full reinstall of Windows and ESET.

I am being asked every day for YourPhone.exe rules. IP address isn't ticked so AFAIK it should create a non-IP specific rule so why am I being asked for new rules all the time?

I had the same for Skype and ended up uninstalling it because of this.

ANy thoughts

• Administrators

Please provide logs gathered with ESET Log Collector so that we can check if there are duplicate rules created.

4 hours ago, probedb said:

I am being asked every day for YourPhone.exe rules. IP address isn't ticked so AFAIK it should create a non-IP specific rule so why am I being asked for new rules all the time?

I had the same for Skype and ended up uninstalling it because of this.

I assume YourPhone.exe is a Windows Store app? Even if it is not, it might behave like a Win Store app such as the Skype app you mentioned.

The problem is whenever a Win store app is updated is executable name changes. Therefore if the Eset firewall is set to Interactive mode, the prior created outbound firewall rule is no longer applicable. Additionally, the Eset firewall doesn't allow for wildcard specification; i.e. "*", for an executable file name.

Win Store and other Win 10 apps for that matter; e.g. Abode Reader DC, will dynamically delete prior Win firewall inbound rules and create new ones whenever an update occurs to reflect the executable name change. As long as the Eset firewall remains at its default setting of "Also evaluate Windows firewall inbound" rules, these apps run without issue. Why? Because again, the Eset firewall default setting is to allow all outbound network traffic.

Bottom line - trying to strictly monitor Win 10 outbound app network traffic is "very much an effort in futility." 

Edited by itman

8 hours ago, itman said:

Why? Because again, the Eset firewall default setting is to allow all outbound network traffic.

Now, if you mentioned that; isn't this the behavior of Windows firewall? ( allow all outbound network traffic)????

So, what is the benefit of using ESET firewall?

39 minutes ago, claudiu said:

So, what is the benefit of using ESET firewall?

It's not a question of the Eset firewall per se but of Eset's Network protection mechanisms; primarily IDS protection.

Also, the outbound rule issue here is not Eset but how Microsoft modified Win 10's processing when it comes to its Store and select non-store packaged system apps. Additionally, Windows doesn't just create on-the-fly inbound rules for these, but also outbound rules in the case the Win firewall outbound rule processing was activated. One solution is if Eset added an option when Interactive and Policy modes are active, to additionally use the Win firewall outbound firewall rules as it does for the inbound rules.  Since this has been suggested previously and still is not implemented indicates that perhaps a complete rewrite of Eset's firewall processing would be required.    

Edited by itman

1 minute ago, TomFace said:

Are you operating this time as claudiu or John Alex?

"A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility"

Sometimes, there is no cure....😀

2 minutes ago, claudiu said:

"A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility"

Sometimes, there is no cure....😀

You laugh...but the rest of us do not like folks of your nature. This is an honest Forum. Multiple accounts are not acceptable. But you have several.

Edited by TomFace

6 minutes ago, TomFace said:

You laugh...but the rest of us do not like folks of your nature.

I'm am sorry, but I am not here to be "liked or disliked"  by "the rest of you". I am an ESET user looking for answers.

There is no conspiracy here:

I while ago , I forgot my credentials and I created another user; later on I restored my PC from an Acronis image and I got the first credentials back.

That's all.

Edited by novice

On 4/6/2019 at 3:17 PM, itman said:

Bottom line - trying to strictly monitor Win 10 outbound app network traffic is "very much an effort in futility." 

I always have Interactive Mode on so this is a bit unfortunate. Skype I uninstalled as I never use it but I'm thinking I might actually use the Phone stuff.