EES 6.7.500 Crashes Macs

mfichera

Hey everyone,

I've noticed that iMacs running 10.13.6 and 10.14.1 and EES 6.7.500, experience a high number of crashes and forced reboots. I'm not sure if EES is the cause or not, but the iMacs that are experiencing frequent crashes are all running the latest eset Mac client.

Anyone else experience this?

Any tips with troubleshooting? So far removing eset seems to fix it.

I spoke with support and they recommended no using the "update eset products" task to update the macos clients. For now they instructed me to uninstall the older version of eset, delete the eset folder in Application Support, then perform a clean install of the new eset client.

• Former ESET Employees

Hi Matthew, Please could you submit all logs to support team for further investigation? Have you enabled "Live Grid Feedback system" when installed directly or "Submit anonymous statistics" in ERA/ESMC policy? This would send us crash logs immediately once it happens.

Thank you

I had this issue on both 6.6 and 6.7 on Mojave. On multiple times on test machines, as soon as ESET installed, the whole Mac just froze and required a forced reboot. After reboot, it appeared fine.

We're holding off on 6.7 until they fix the TCC profile issue.

Unfortunately, we've been so busy and I don't have time to keep going back and forth collecting logs and trying betas...we've been doing this for over a year with the remote administrator...

Edited by brandobot

Had this issue also yesterday with a MacBook Pro 13 inch late 2016. It kept crashing randomly. I was planning to downgrade ESET tonight (like now) however this Macbook hasn't crashed anymore since late this afternoon and everything looks stable now. Submit statistics is enabled so you should have received the reports maybe about 40 times since yesterday.

Edit:

It doesn't seem to happen as often anymore, but I just had a crash a day later. I'm not sure if this would help but here is the panic report.

MacOS Panic report.pdf

Edited by Mike_M

On 11/30/2018 at 8:18 AM, Matus said:

Hi Matthew, Please could you submit all logs to support team for further investigation? Have you enabled "Live Grid Feedback system" when installed directly or "Submit anonymous statistics" in ERA/ESMC policy? This would send us crash logs immediately once it happens.

Thank you

Thanks Matus, I have those policy objects enabled and I have been running the log collector on a few of the affected Macs.

1 hour ago, karlmikaeloskar said:

I had to revert to an older version because ESET Management Agent 7.0.432.0 and ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.7.500.0 gave my High Sierra machines frequent kernel panics.

Reverting back to 6.6.866.1 or installing the beta resolved this for us.

New to the product and am working on deploying EES 6.7.500 out to Mojave machines and having the same issues with multiple kernel panics with the product installed. Currently running two separate test machines and both are showing the same issues. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, bledoux said:

New to the product and am working on deploying EES 6.7.500 out to Mojave machines and having the same issues with multiple kernel panics with the product installed. Currently running two separate test machines and both are showing the same issues. 

Yeah, don't install 6.7.500 - use the older 6.6.866.1.

ESET folks, this is a nightmare, you need to pull version 6.7.500 immediately!!!

31 minutes ago, Victor Orly said:

Yeah, don't install 6.7.500 - use the older 6.6.866.1.

ESET folks, this is a nightmare, you need to pull version 6.7.500 immediately!!!

Thanks Victor and forgive me in advance for my ignorance as I am still in the process of building the ESET ERA server but I do not appear to be able to download legacy Mac installers in the installers section and cannot find any documentation for getting them. Does anybody have any advice on how to get the legacy installation that I can test? 

EDIT: Nevermind, I discovered where to get the legacy downloads, thanks! :)

Edited by bledoux

2 minutes ago, bledoux said:

Thanks Victor and forgive me in advance for my ignorance as I am still in the process of building the ESET ERA server but I do not appear to be able to download legacy Mac installers in the installers section and cannot find any documentation for getting them. Does anybody have any advice on how to get the legacy installation that I can test? 

EES for mac 6.6.866.1 is available in the repository the server uses for client installations.

3 minutes ago, bledoux said:

Once you have your ESMC setup, they still have 6.6.866.1 in the repository. You'll have the option to install 6.6.866.1 or 6.7.500.0... just use the older 6.6.866.1.

• ESET Staff
On 12/13/2018 at 11:48 PM, Victor Orly said:

Once you have your ESMC setup, they still have 6.6.866.1 in the repository. You'll have the option to install 6.6.866.1 or 6.7.500.0... just use the older 6.6.866.1.

It is possible to select also older versions of macOS products in ESMC/ERA, but "legacy" filter has to be enabled explicitly in selection dialog:

image.png

Same here, frequent crashes on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 with latest patches and 6.7.500 across multiple machine types (mainly MacBook Pros). Is there any other workaround apart from downgrading to 6.6.866.1 or using the beta?

Edited by kelm

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

we have an RC version available, which should fix the crashes.

If you are interested in an early access, send me and TomasP a private message with a reference to this topic so we can provide you with it.

Thank you, P.R.

Just to chime in - I've noticed kernel panics with ESET Endpoint Antivirus on macOS 10.13.6, specifically when working with DMG disk image files (part of my job involves writing automated processes that manipulate them and that's when I noticed it).

I also had one on a test client I was deploying software to via Jamf - the software was delivered as a DMG (which is unusual for me/my environment - most of the time I deploy PKGs so that would explain why I didn't notice any issues sooner/more frequently).

Since deploying it to our fleet of 500 Macs, I've only had one user report this issue but it wasn't clear what he was doing at the time (he said he was checking email).

Since installing the 6.7.575 beta on my Mac running a process that does a lot with DMGs, the kernel panics have stopped for me.

Really looking forward to the January update! :)

Edited by neilmartin83

On 12/19/2018 at 2:25 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

we have an RC version available, which should fix the crashes.

If you are interested in an early access, send me and TomasP a private message with a reference to this topic so we can provide you with it.

Thank you, P.R.

Installed the beta 6.7.600.0 patch on the MacbookPro with most issues and so far so good no more crashes! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...