ESET Live Grid after latest update - cannot disable, cannot enable

p0k3m0n

On another computer here the 11.1.42.0 update is no longer offered. Looks like Eset is in the process of fixing it

• Administrators

Switching from release to pre-release updates or vice-versa may take several minutes since all modules are downloaded and re-compiled. Update to v11.1.42 was removed from the repository about an hour ago. Those who did not upgrade but installed v11.1.42 from scratch were not affected.

Those who had setting protected with a password could use the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode and install v11.1.42 from scratch then until we find a better solution.

Well, now what? It was frozen. I tried to restart. ESET GUI is not re-loading. I cannot stop the task/process. It is just stuck. I am afraid to reboot the computer because I have a feeling this has really screwed things up.

Edited by howardagoldberg

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Switching from release to pre-release updates or vice-versa may take several minutes since all modules are downloaded and re-compiled.

Ok Marcos, I wait

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, chelseaboy said:

Well done E-Set, another untested update.

Update had been tested for several weeks before it was released. The problem was in an older Configuration Engine module on release update servers. On pre-release and test update servers, a new Configuration Engine module has been available for several weeks which is why the issue didn't manifest for those who were testing it.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Ok, FYI. I rebooted. ESET worked normally ... from what I can tell, with the pre-release updates in place. The message is now gone after hitting "accept." I switched pack to regular updates, no issue thus far.

Should I wait for a proper update for my other computer (Win7, not Win10 in this case), or also do this pre-release dance?

Good; After an ESET freez, Windows message that asks me what to do; Stop eset, and reboot; Everything is OK; Should we put the updates on "Regular" or should we leave on "Pre-Realase"?

Edited by paulposition

27 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

Switch to pre-release updates.  Update ran for 10 minutes. Trying to cancel.

Let it run, take som time, but it works..

• Administrators

Please leave updates on pre-release until the new Configuration Engine is fully released for all users which will take a few days.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please leave updates on pre-release until the new Configuration Engine is fully released for all users which will take a few days.

What if I already reverted back to regular releases? The message is gone. This is really not acceptable.

46 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Update had been tested for several weeks before it was released. The problem was in an older Configuration Engine module on release update servers. On pre-release and test update servers, a new Configuration Engine module has been available for several weeks which is why the issue didn't manifest for those who were testing it.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

This is more than an inconvenience. I have spent the past two hours of my work day trying to untangle this. I did not sign up to be a beta tester. How does the new configuration engine not get migrated into the new build if it is an essential component of new functionality?

7 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Ok Marcos; Thank's

1 hour ago, howardagoldberg said:

Same issue here. Click "allow," Windows asks for permission to change settings, but the message remains (Win10, 1709, x64). I do not know what update @BabyMoseN is referring to. After rebooting, I checked for updates and nothing new is coming down after 11.1.42.0.

Actually, I didn't check what version I was on when this issue started to begin with, all I know is after the issue popped up I rebooted my PC multiple times and tried scanning for updates, then I got an update which now when I check is indeed 11.1.42.0.

For whatever reason once it started updating to what I assume was 11.1.42.0. it got stuck updating forever so I just rebooted my PC again, and now suddenly I could select to not allow this Eset live grid thing, and the update completed as well..

I don't know why it works for me and what made it to work really, but no issues now for me and everything works as it should!

I am usually against downloading new software versions early on, and I usually just wait a few days atleast, but this one time when I feel like I can trust a company is the one time I get burned.. Never again..

Just glad all seems to work now for me, hopefully they'll sort this all out for the rest as well.

Edited by BabyMoseN

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, howardagoldberg said:

This is more than an inconvenience. I have spent the past two hours of my work day trying to untangle this. I did not sign up to be a beta tester. How does the new configuration engine not get migrated into the new build if it is an essential component of new functionality?

The new Configuration Engine is included in v11.1.4x installers which is why there's no issue with a fresh install, only with upgrade. Only users with release updates were affected because an older version of the Configuration engine was available on release update servers. Those who updated from pre-release update servers were not affected because the new CE module had been there for weeks before update to v11.1.4x.

5 minutes ago, itman said:

Just install 11.1.4 on top of 11.0.159. Went "smooth as silk." So far no issues w/11.1.4.

Yes, well, I just uninstalled 11.0.159 as trying to go back to pre-release caused an invalidation of my username/license key (as with other users) and I finally gave up trying to make it work. On my Win10 system with a SSD, it took less time to start over than to try and fix this mess as it was.

The fresh install went smoothly.

Still, this kind of error really speaks to poor quality control. This should never have happened.

I spoke too soon ... the initial scan is running, it is so far scanned 0 objects for 00:00 even though it has been running for 10 minutes. And ... you cannot stop or pause the scan.

UPDATE: Issue was only on Win10 system. Win7 initial scan worked as expected. Rebooted Win10 computer (for the 7th or 8th time today now!), and all seems well. This was the most botched update I have ever had to deal with from ESET. I hope they are taking notes. :-)

Edited by howardagoldberg

30 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The new Configuration Engine is included in v11.1.4x installers which is why there's no issue with a fresh install, only with upgrade. Only users with release updates were affected because an older version of the Configuration engine was available on release update servers. Those who updated from pre-release update servers were not affected because the new CE module had been there for weeks before update to v11.1.4x.

So I've just tried to do an in place install of v11.1.42.0 full download, but it won't let me run it because it already sees the same version installed. I can't enable pre-release updates because it doesn't recognise my settings password and I can't enable LiveGrid.

I've applied for an unlock code through support but not yet had a reply and not sure if it will work given that you are saying that the configuration engine is the problem.

Please advise :unsure:

• Administrators

The quickest and 100% working solution is to remove ESET in safe mode using the Uninstall tool and then installing it from scratch. Even if gui doesn't seem to react, the product continues to protect you from malware and update of the Configuration Engine module should fix it automatically when released.