ESET Live Grid after latest update - cannot disable, cannot enable

p0k3m0n

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The quickest and 100% working solution is to remove ESET in safe mode using the Uninstall tool and then installing it from scratch. Even if gui doesn't seem to react, the product continues to protect you from malware and update of the Configuration Engine module should fix it automatically when released.

It looks like that will mean I will lose all my settings and I can't export them first because of the password issue!

8 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The quickest and 100% working solution is to remove ESET in safe mode using the Uninstall tool and then installing it from scratch. Even if gui doesn't seem to react, the product continues to protect you from malware and update of the Configuration Engine module should fix it automatically when released.

The quickest and 100% working solution is to not roll out an update that causes more problems than it solves. If ESET only tested the product with machines set to "pre-release," then quality control failed. I have literally spent three hours of my work day trying to resolve this, which is unacceptable. The guidance from the beginning should have been to uninstall and reinstall. I did not need to do so in safe mode, by the way.

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

the fixed Configuration module should be available in few moments, try to run manual Check for updates or you should receive it on next scheduled update (by default once per hour)

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused,

Regards, P.R.

Just back from uninstalling Eset AV, rebooting into BSOD 0xc0000225 and reimaging my entire partition from a backup!!!

Not the happiest I've ever been :angry:

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

The new Configuration Engine is included in v11.1.4x installers which is why there's no issue with a fresh install, only with upgrade. Only users with release updates were affected because an older version of the Configuration engine was available on release update servers. Those who updated from pre-release update servers were not affected because the new CE module had been there for weeks before update to v11.1.4x.

@Marcos It is great that there is no issue with a fresh install (which I can now confirm on a Win10 and Win7 system - since short of any other information earlier today, there was no way to know that a module update was going to be pushed out to more easily correct the situation), and no issue with those on pre-release updates.

That makes up the vast minority of users. This update should never have been pushed out without testing on your target audience -- pre-installed with regular updates. That is the issue. No more, no less. This had the potential to cause significant damage to user systems (as was the case for an unlucky few), and by your own account, that configuration was not tested?

Short of testing the target configuration before releasing through the auto-update channel (which implies pre-installed and regular update channel!), an  immediate notification to users asking them to "wait" on changing settings, reinstalling, etc. as an update was coming would also have saved many of us hours of frustration. That notification came via this forum and via an email - but only after enough time had passed that I and others had gone through a number of steps trying to resolve, which for me ended in uninstalling and reinstalling on two computers and a wasted morning for which I now have to make up that time.

As with the Windows Update issue - ESET did not fully test, and did not respond in an appropriate time frame to address the issue. I am pleased that this was resolved relatively quickly, but given how simple the fix was, it should not have taken so many hours with so little communication to correct and inform. Really, it should not have happened. When security software does not function as expected, it understandably makes people nervous. Especially those of us in IT who are responsible for and take security seriously. This and the earlier Windows Update issue (on Windows 10) is honestly giving this very long-time ESET user pause. I am sincerely sharing these thoughts to be constructive. I think ESET is a great product, and these forums have been tremendously helpful. But, I cannot continue to use a product that is going to have these types of issues on a regular basis. I hope the past few months are a blip, and not a pattern.

After latest hotfix I lost all my settings. I mean all - license key too. Thx for nothing ESET and f...! I am going into Kaspersky: my 5 personal licenses + 40 licenses at office.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

the situation was changing quite rapidly here as well believe me (I spent more than 12 hours here yesterday due to this issue), so the communication from our side might me a bit chaotic, but we did our best.

@Phil_S sorry for that, but we haven't had any other reports of BSODs so it is probably not related. In case you have a dump, please send me a download link via private message to check it.

@howardagoldberg yes we agree that the update shouldn't be pushed out an we are really sorry for the inconvenience caused. I heard some discussion already about adjusting the release process here to prevent such issues from happening again. 

Thank you for your positive attitude to our products and your patience.

@p0k3m0n not sure what exactly happened, but the settings should stay preserved after the Configuration module upgrade. 

Regards, P.R.

15 minutes ago, Peter Randziak said:

settings should stay preserved after the Configuration module upgrade. 

The only setting that was lost here after the update was exclusions in real-time protection so I had to add those exclusions again.

All other settings were preserved

EDIT: I just noticed that my scheduled scan settings were gone aswell so I had to add that to planner again

Edited by Skunk1966

1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello,

the situation was changing quite rapidly here as well believe me (I spent more than 12 hours here yesterday due to this issue), so the communication from our side might me a bit chaotic, but we did our best.

@Phil_S sorry for that, but we haven't had any other reports of BSODs so it is probably not related. In case you have a dump, please send me a download link via private message to check it.

@howardagoldberg yes we agree that the update shouldn't be pushed out an we are really sorry for the inconvenience caused. I heard some discussion already about adjusting the release process here to prevent such issues from happening again. 

Thank you for your positive attitude to our products and your patience.

@p0k3m0n not sure what exactly happened, but the settings should stay preserved after the Configuration module upgrade. 

Regards, P.R.

@Peter Randziak Thank you for this update, it is very much appreciated. I have probably been using ESET for over a decade now, and really do have high regard for the platform overall. Just FYI, I also lost several settings even during the initial in-application upgrade yesterday. Specifically: I had changed the update check frequency from 60 to 30 minutes. During the update, that was reset to 60 minutes. I also had changed the first TLS/SSL setting for certificates from "ask" to "block." That also reverted back to "ask" on the Windows 10 computer (but not the Win7 computer). In addition, on the Win10 system, I moved from regular to pre-release updates twice (before deciding to reinstall). On the second switch to pre-release, ESET threw up warnings that I did not have a valid password, etc. Bottom line is ... there  were a number of issues with the in-line install which is why I ultimately uninstalled on both systems, and reinstalled "fresh."

Edited by howardagoldberg

• Administrators

The minimum interval for update is 60 minutes. More frequent module updates are supported only when updating from a mirror which is an Endpoint feature not present in consumer versions.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

The minimum interval for update is 60 minutes. More frequent module updates are supported only when updating from a mirror which is an Endpoint feature not present in consumer versions.

@Marcos This is simply wrong. I was easily able to set the interval to 30 minutes, and checking the "last successful check for updates" clearly shows that ESET is checking every 30 minutes, as I have set it to do from within the scheduler settings. I am using ESET Anti-Virus, 11.1.42.0 on both Win7 x64 and Win10 x64.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, howardagoldberg said:

@Marcos This is simply wrong. I was easily able to set the interval to 30 minutes, and checking the "last successful check for updates" clearly shows that ESET is checking every 30 minutes, as I have set it to do from within the scheduler settings. I am using ESET Anti-Virus, 11.1.42.0 on both Win7 x64 and Win10 x64.

Although it's possible to set it in gui, update won't be attempted in 30 minutes interval but every 60 minutes which is the default value. Of course, LiveGrid connects to servers and downloads blacklists in shorter intervals and when needed plus v11.1 introduced a new types of definition updates to make response to new threats even faster.

As for the other settings you reported not to have retained after upgrade, we are checking it with testers. Although upgrade and settings retention is part of QA tests, we'll rather double-check it now.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Although it's possible to set it in gui, update won't be attempted in 30 minutes interval but every 60 minutes which is the default value. Of course, LiveGrid connects to servers and downloads blacklists in shorter intervals and when needed plus v11.1 introduced a new types of definition updates to make response to new threats even faster.

As for the other settings you reported not to have retained after upgrade, we are checking it with testers. Although upgrade and settings retention is part of QA tests, we'll rather double-check it now.

@Marcos All I can tell you is that when I first responded above, the last successful check for updates was at 8:03 Eastern. Now, the last successful check was at 8:33 Eastern. Seems like 30 minutes to me. I did nothing in between to manually force a check, so this was all the ESET client. The other settings that I reported as not having transferred over - it is what it is, and I am not making it up. They didn't migrate. As others have reported similar issues, this seems like another instance of tests being run only on those receiving pre-release updates or installing from scratch (of course - in that case, there would be not settings to migrate).

UPDATE: @Marcos Just to confirm ... successful update checks at 9:03, 9:33, and 10:03. 30 minutes. It clearly works.

The reports that some peoples settings are reset to their default value seem to be true.. But for me the only setting which was reset to its default value was the "boot up logo" when Eset starts, I always turn that logo off because it's annoying and blocks me from quickly accessing my things on the desktop. Regardless it was such a small thing that it didn't matter to me, or caused any real harm so not worth to complain about..

Still funny regardless that this was the only setting which got readjusted for me, I'm lucky again I guess? But I feel bad for those that got more important tweaks readjusted to their default values..

Edited by BabyMoseN

23 minutes ago, BabyMoseN said:

The reports that some peoples settings are reset to their default value seem to be true.. But for me the only setting which was reset to its default value was the "boot up logo" when Eset starts, I always turn that logo off because it's annoying and blocks me from quickly accessing my things on the desktop. Regardless it was such a small thing that it didn't matter to me, or caused any real harm so not worth to complain about..

Still funny regardless that this was the only setting which got readjusted for me, I'm lucky again I guess? But I feel bad for those that got more important tweaks readjusted to their default values..

Yes! Thank you for the reminder. On both my systems, the splash screen setting of "off" did not migrate through the in-app update process. I had to turn it back off again.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:20 PM, howardagoldberg said:

Yes! Thank you for the reminder. On both my systems, the splash screen setting of "off" did not migrate through the in-app update process. I had to turn it back off again.

@Marcos @Peter Randziak  FYI ... on my Win7 computer, I saw the splash screen flash on the monitor for a moment this morning (didn't notice it yesterday, but I am not necessarily staring at the monitor during boot up) - even though the setting was to turn the splash screen off! I checked to make sure the setting had not reverted, and it was indeed set to off. Unfortunately, that does make me wonder what other settings are not actually being honored. Again, this is a QA issue. I realize the splash screen issue in and of itself is not a security issue and is simply a personal preference ... but if that user defined setting does not function properly one can logically wonder what else is not functioning properly (and for which there would be no visual clues one way or the other)?

EDIT: It is possible the issue is also on my Win10 system ... but my Win10 system has a SSD drive and boots pretty fast, so it is entirely possible I just missed it, or perhaps it's a Win7 only issue.

On 2018-03-19 at 11:32 AM, Marcos said:

False, well, after a while.

I tried every which way possible of removing NOD32 and reinstalled. True, the registry error disappears after a clean install but comes back after a complete scan has been done. I've even tried install without Live grid and the mistake is the same.

I have been a long time user and I have your logo on my site (no charge).

For a while, Issues come one after another. PLEASE get your act together.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Zardoc said:

This has not been fixed at all. When is a fix expected please?

I've gone through your previous posts but honestly I'm not sure what issue you are referring to. Please clarify.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:29 AM, howardagoldberg said:

@Marcos @Peter Randziak  FYI ... on my Win7 computer, I saw the splash screen flash on the monitor for a moment this morning (didn't notice it yesterday, but I am not necessarily staring at the monitor during boot up) - even though the setting was to turn the splash screen off! I checked to make sure the setting had not reverted, and it was indeed set to off. Unfortunately, that does make me wonder what other settings are not actually being honored. Again, this is a QA issue. I realize the splash screen issue in and of itself is not a security issue and is simply a personal preference ... but if that user defined setting does not function properly one can logically wonder what else is not functioning properly (and for which there would be no visual clues one way or the other)?

EDIT: It is possible the issue is also on my Win10 system ... but my Win10 system has a SSD drive and boots pretty fast, so it is entirely possible I just missed it, or perhaps it's a Win7 only issue.

@Marcos @Peter Randziak Splash screen still displays on boot up, despite the fact that the option is turned off in settings. Win7 x 64 11.1.42.1

14 hours ago, Marcos said:

I've gone through your previous posts but honestly I'm not sure what issue you are referring to. Please clarify.

The error that was mentioned with registry

ScRegSetValueExW Event 7006 Access denied