ESET ERA Agent Draining Battery

For Windows 10 tablets that support Modern Standby, seems that the ERA Agent significantly drains more battery during the computer standby, even with reporting interval adjusted to a large value (e.g. per 2 hrs)

Using system built-in sleep study tool, I compared the standby power consumption without/with ERA Agent:

normal.thumb.jpg.4e9d9d67fa22d7e0bf6a28f87058da42.jpg

In usual cases, the reference tablet consumes about 458mW during the standby, and HW/SW idle rates are >90%

drain.thumb.jpg.50acffaeed871e42b38776560f83c9e8.jpg

With ERA Agent installed, the draining rate increases by more than 100%. The HW idle rate is only about 19%. The red "SoC Subsystems" usually indicates high processor activity during computer standby.

Is there any fix or workaround to address this issue? 

Edited by 0xDEADBEEF

• Administrators

I'm not sure if installation on tablets is possible and fully supported. I know we support installation on Android tablets, however.

11 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I'm not sure if installation on tablets is possible and fully supported. I know we support installation on Android tablets, however.

It is equivalent to windows 10 laptop with an extra low-power state.

Many AV vendors didn't quite follow Microsoft's guideline for modern standby and have battery issues more or less. ESET Endpoint Security performs quite well (nearly no extra battery consumption), but ERA Agent is problematic. I sincerely hope this issue can be addressed.

• ESET Staff

Could you please provide more details of used hardware device (vendor, product type)?

I am not sure impact on battery on such devices is actually tested and I am not aware of any similar reports -> we will have to verify. I would also recommend to open support ticket or ask you local distributor to do so that this requirement is officially tracked.

6 hours ago, MartinK said:

Could you please provide more details of used hardware device (vendor, product type)?

I am not sure impact on battery on such devices is actually tested and I am not aware of any similar reports -> we will have to verify. I would also recommend to open support ticket or ask you local distributor to do so that this requirement is officially tracked.

Mine is a Thinkpad X1 Tablet with core m5-6y57 processor. The official requirements for modern standby as I remembered are 1) network adapter with pattern match capability, generally intel adapters >= AC7260 2) soldered memory module 3) firmware support. That is to say, most mainstream windows 10 tablet should support modern standby and may reproduce the issue I mentioned (e.g. Microsoft Surface Pro, hp elite x2 1012 g1, thinkpad tablet...). 

One can press the power button when the tablet is on to enter the "modern standby" mode. During this mode, the wifi adapter is still connected so the tablet can still get push notification, but the machine will work in low power mode so battery drains much slower. The official power recommendation is <5% battery drain after a night of sleep. Though UWP activities can be managed by Windows to save power, other win32 application may frequently wake up the machine in the background and drain excessive battery.

A sleep study report entry will be generated for each modern standby session that is roughly >10 mins. So one can run "powercfg sleepstudy" as admin after a standby session to export the power consumption stats and diagnose the source of battery drain.

And yes, I will also use the support system to generate a ticket.