CCleaner latest update

Piano

Hello,

I've tried to download latest update of CCleaner but when I scan before installing, ESET finds Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D. Piriform say it is a false positive but I am not sure. I have seen it on previous updates when I used to upload the updates via File Hippo. I couldn't see where to ask about false positives so please move if it's not appropriate - thanks

• Administrators

I don't think that an official representative of the company in question would state that there's no toolbar embedded in the installer.

It's easy to prove the toolbar's there - the installer contains both PF-Toolbar-2016.exe and PF-Chrome-2016.exe with GoogleUpdateSetup_1.3.21.169.exe inside.

I am not a representative of Piriform who owns CCleaner. rather I am a user of ESET and an ex-user of CCleaner. They used to have a "builds" page where you could choose the version of CCleaner. (https://forum.eset.com/topic/10805-ccleaner-and-hips/?do=findComment&comment=55080 )

The "slim" version was the bare bones item (no toolbars). The other versions (as far as I know) included toolbars, This has been discussed in this forum previously on occasion.
https://forum.eset.com/topic/51-future-changes-to-eset-internet-security-and-eset-smart-security-premium/?do=findComment&comment=3747

Should you wish to inquire further, you could try their forum   https://forum.piriform.com/ or just check with Piriform  directly http://www.piriform.com/ . In addition, if I may suggest, only download directly from the originating website (i.e. Piriform). That way you can be sure to avoid most of the unwanted additional software which most download website will include at their leisure.    

Good luck Piano 

Edited by TomFace

10 minutes ago, ScottWStewart said:

I didn't think you were supposed to have any other detection software present on a machine with ESET on it. 

CCleaner (as far as I know) is not about malware or virus detection. To use Piriform's own words it's a "CCleaner is the world’s favorite PC optimization tool! Easy to use, one click cleaning so beginners can optimize their computers in seconds." (see  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) . As the name implies, it is advertised as a "cleaner" (their words, not mine). I would also like to add that I am in no way, shape or form endorsing use of CCleaner. What you do is up to you.

Edited by TomFace

16 minutes ago, ScottWStewart said:

You're right, for some reason I was thinking Mal-ware Bytes. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

MBAM and ESET used to play nice together. But when MBAM v3 came about that all changed. So much for my lifetime MBAM license. :P

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members
52 minutes ago, TomFace said:

MBAM and ESET used to play nice together. But when MBAM v3 came about that all changed. So much for my lifetime MBAM license. :P

It has gotten more reliable

Thanks for all your comments. I did go directly to the Piriform site to download rather than File Hippo, having previoucly had a problem but the same problem has thrown itself up. Looks like I'll have to try and find the download for the barebones version.

• Most Valued Members
17 minutes ago, Piano said:

Thanks for all your comments. I did go directly to the Piriform site to download rather than File Hippo, having previoucly had a problem but the same problem has thrown itself up. Looks like I'll have to try and find the download for the barebones version.

I normally instal the main version okay with PUA detection turned on. I wonder if eset is blocking the toolbars though.

16 hours ago, Piano said:

This was the link I used to use for the "builds" page. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I'm not sure if it has the latest versions. For what it's worth, Piriform always released the "silm" version several days after the "regular" version(s).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Edited by TomFace

Sorry for the late reply. Still having problems. I used the "builds" page to download from and when I scanned the file before installing - ESET found the same problem within that download so I didn't bother. Interestingly, I ran a scan on my system yesterday because Firefox was starting to get really slow and had about 5 entries of firefox.exe in Task Manager. It revealed two problems, one of which it cleaned and the other one seems to have disappeared. One was an earlier version of CCleaner (ccsetup502) and the other was something that began spsetup.exe. Don't know if I have a problem because I turned my pc off, re-booted and ran another scan which came back clear. Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

Yes, I believe I did I just noticed that I selected the standard installer and only just realised. I've downloaded the slim version now - thanks for pointing that out TomFace

Edited by Piano

I still have a concern about the fact that ESET only cleaned one out of the two reported threats that it found however.

" One was an earlier version of CCleaner (ccsetup502) and the other was something that began spsetup.exe "

I ran another scan with ESET and nothing came back - here's one of the threats reported.

Time;Scanner;Object type;Object;Threat;Action;User;Information;Hash;First seen here
26/01/2018 17:13:16;Real-time file system protection;file;C:\Users\Nigel Dalton\Downloads\spsetup129.exe;Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application;cleaned by deleting;NigelDalton-PC\Nigel Dalton;Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\Windows\explorer.exe (84123A3DECDAA217E3588A1DE59FE6CEE1998004).;C66FEE22DF527B83D9C339DFB417E40B64F906B7;

I've also been getting this since 15th December but don't know how to deal with it.

Time;Module;Event;User
29/01/2018 09:27:19;Personal firewall;An attempt to add the root certificate to all known browsers on your computer failed.;SYSTEM

Thanks again