Scan Progress bar

not showing scan progress bar, instead showing animated dots all the time(from 2016 onwards, version update).
We need scan progress bar & estimated time of completion.

Scanning algorithms are very light, and also READ speed from drives is less.
So scan is slower & less thorough.
Applies to all ESET products.

Plz elevate these issues ASAP.

Screenshot (87).png

• Administrators

This is a correct and intentional behavior. The progress bar was highly inaccurate since it could go quickly to 99% and then stall for a long time to scan the last 1% that were folders with most files in them. We don't plan to change this.

**relate scan completion to ur girlfriend coming over.

How would u feel if u call ur girlfriend to come to ur home, and she just keeps on telling that he's/she's en-route, and she doesn't share where she is, 

and u have no idea how much more time she'll take.

turns out that she came home when u were abt to go to office.

ALGORITHM for accurate progress bar:

1) Analyze the total size of files to scan, say 128 MB

2) Start the scan(In-depth or smart)

3) Suppose:    - IN-DEPTH scan gets 4 MB files scanned per second

- Smart scan gets 32 MB files scannned per second.

(since it's less thorough than in-depth)

(i) include time needed for archive scans in it. say it can scan 4 MB of an archive in in-depth &  16 MB in smart scan modes.

4) So, total time required:   -IN-DEPTH scan=128/4 sec= 32 sec

-Smart scan=128/32 sec= 4 sec

5) Say the scan has been running for 2 sec now(time elapsed= 2sec).

-- So, time left:    In-depth= 32-2= 30 sec

Smart=4-2=2 sec

6) So, progress bar SHOULD SHOW:

-- IN-DEPTH:  2/32*100= 6.25 % scan completed

30 sec left untill completion

-- SMART: 2/4*100=50% scan completed

2 sec untill completion

SO, HOPE I GAVE AN ACCURATE ALGORITHM TO DISPLAY SCAN PROGRESS WITHOUT ANY HICCUP.

this won't get stuck on 99 %

It's real simple, I've just written it so gigantically to explain clearly.

U realize this algorithm is nothing harder than speed-distance-time problems that we used to solve in junor-high :)  

So, if u follow this algorithm, scan progress bar will be very accurate.

And hence provide users with a prediction when the scan will be complete & hence OFFER PEACE OF MIND TO UR CUSTOMERS.

***Tell me if u guys will add this feature...

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

This is a correct and intentional behavior. The progress bar was highly inaccurate since it could go quickly to 99% and then stall for a long time to scan the last 1% that were folders with most files in them. We don't plan to change this.

Most of the scan progress bars are like that...inaccurate. Appears to be a common trait (not just ESET).

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, whiplash2-1 said:

PLEASE READ MY PREVIOUS COMMENT.

I gave  the steps/algorithm required to make it accurate.

please read thoroughly.

I persume that as files can be changing, new files getting created etc. This could make things inacurate. Also other things taking resources could cause slowdowns at times

• Most Valued Members

The effort to get an accurate scan time, pretty difficult considering all the variables of each computer, would in fact increase the amount of time it will take to scan them. I would rather have the program doing what is supposed to be doing rather then constantly trying to figure out how long it's going to take to do it.

I appreciate the non static screen in Eset telling me it's working. From previous scans, which do tell me, accurately, how long it took to do it,  I can pretty much figure out how long the next scan will take. It does require a minimal amount of human calculation.

From this basic information I can decide how to best fit the scan time needed in to my schedule. This also requires a bit of human calculation. Generally this revolves around when I'm not going to be using the computer. This gives it the most resources to accomplish it's task, including shutting the system off. I really don't think there is any fool proof method for a program to compute how long it will take to accomplish it's task in a ever changing environment.

For example the Imaging program I use will start out telling me it's going to take 20 minutes to image my drive. 5 minutes later it's still telling me it's going to take 18 minutes, 3 minutes later it tells me there are 10 minutes left. Therefore I pay no attention to it or the little bar going across the screen. I know it's going to take 15 minutes more or less from experience and a bit of human calculation. It's close enough for me to plan accordingly.

For my PC a cursory (aka smart) scan is about 20 minutes. A complete in-depth (as Admin/ALL files) scan is right around 2 hours. I do not need an inaccurate progress bar.

It's not rocket science.:lol:

Even if the scan is running when I'm on my machine, it does not slow me down.

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members
12 hours ago, whiplash2-1 said:

It's real simple, I've just written it so gigantically to explain clearly.

U realize this algorithm is nothing harder than speed-distance-time problems that we used to solve in junor-high :)  

But speed-distance-time only works when its applied to a constant, throw in a variable and your maths is worthless.
(eg it takes 10 minutes to drive back and forward to work every day, that's fine when the traffic is good...... throw in a burst water pipe and some road works and it now takes 1 hour to do the same journey)

The same thing applies when scanning files...... if 10000 files were plain text it would run through a scan in seconds. But that's not the contents of a hard disk. Mix up a different set of files containing (iso/zip/rar/cab/exe/msi) and 10000 files will take much longer due to the way the files are packed and handled.

A scan takes "as long as a scan takes" , when you chose between the different type of scan available. There is nothing you can do as a user to influence the time taken.

Not sure why your too bogged down with this. ON-demand scans should be run off hours when end user is not at computer. ESET has one of the best real time scanners around. Reactive (On demand scan that your doing) AV is dead. Please check out info on this link for detail on whats going on in the background. Most of the time when you run on demand scans its going to find some PUA. 

https://www.eset.com/int/about/technology/