Proxy vs Mirror Config/Setup

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening!

I have two questions to see if anyone here may be able to assist. I have taken over the administration of ESET and change-over from v5x to 6x, and have found that the documentation for the Proxy setup to not address some of the items and concerns that i'm having. 

1. It appears in the instructions that you suggest all companies who have more than 37 client machines use a 3rd party software to preform proxy functions for their virus scanning software. I think it's a bit strange that this isn't a default functionality as i'm guessing that MOST of your clients have more than 37 licences. I am curious as to why it was decided to not incorporate Apache proxy setup and config directly into RA.

2. We have many different sites and because of a shared internet connection, and varying WAN link speeds we, in the past, have opted for the Mirror option. The mirror location was a dfs folder which would then distribute to our various sites, reducing WAN traffic significantly. Can i specify a network location as the cache target using the apache web proxy? 

3. Once this is setup, will all install traffic come from this cache location? (Agent updates, Endpoint Application updates, DB updates)? 

Thanks! 

Jdashn

• Administrators
 It appears in the instructions that you suggest all companies who have more than 37 client machines...

1, We recommend using HTTP Proxy for everyone who has more computers in the network with ESET's products installed. Not sure where you found that number 37 as it doesn't make sense to not recommend using it for those who have 36 computers and less.

2, I can't answer it as Apache HTTP proxy is a 3rd party product and I have never used it in that configuration. Maybe someone else will be able to comment on it.

3, That's right. As long as a particular installation or update file is cached and the proxy server is configured properly in the ERA Agent Live Installer, Endpoint, Agent, etc., all communication will be routed through it.

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening!

I have two questions to see if anyone here may be able to assist. I have taken over the administration of ESET and change-over from v5x to 6x, and have found that the documentation for the Proxy setup to not address some of the items and concerns that i'm having. 

1. It appears in the instructions that you suggest all companies who have more than 37 client machines use a 3rd party software to preform proxy functions for their virus scanning software. I think it's a bit strange that this isn't a default functionality as i'm guessing that MOST of your clients have more than 37 licences. I am curious as to why it was decided to not incorporate Apache proxy setup and config directly into RA.

2. We have many different sites and because of a shared internet connection, and varying WAN link speeds we, in the past, have opted for the Mirror option. The mirror location was a dfs folder which would then distribute to our various sites, reducing WAN traffic significantly. Can i specify a network location as the cache target using the apache web proxy? 

3. Once this is setup, will all install traffic come from this cache location? (Agent updates, Endpoint Application updates, DB updates)? 

Thanks! 

Jdashn

I'm starting to understand their wish to offload update functionality directly to their servers via third party product. I think eventually they will publish cloud version of ERA so makes sense to prepare client software for this scenario and take out mirror feature out.

Have you read these help pages?

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/difference_connectivity.htm

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/apache_http_proxy.htm

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/when_to_start_using_apache_http_proxy.htm

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/efficient_usage_of_apache_http_proxy.htm

If you want to continue and use your DFS folder you can use MirrorTool to populate this folder with updates in same manner like v5 Mirror did.

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/mirror_tool_linux.htm

or

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/mirror_tool_windows.htm

1, We recommend using HTTP Proxy for everyone who has more computers in the network with ESET's products installed. Not sure where you found that number 37 as it doesn't make sense to not recommend using it for those who have 36 computers and less.

I got this information from here:

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3639/?locale=en_US

When to start using Apache HTTP Proxy?

Based on our practical tests, we recommend you deploy Apache HTTP Proxy if you have a network of 37 or more computers. Review the simple comparison below of downloaded update data in a month's time using direct internet connection in comparison to Apache HTTP Proxy:

Looks like the 37 number is refrenced in a few different locations:

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/64/en-US/index.html?difference_connectivity.htm

bbahes

Thanks a ton for your answers!! I had thought the mirror option was no longer available in v6. the proxy information is the same as i've seen for the most part. Unfortunately the WAN traffic caused by having the updates happen on a server in our DataCenter would cause difficulty with many of our remote sites. Which is why we need to place these files on our DFS. 

It looks like the Mirror functionality would work, but only will work for DB updates, not for application updates. 

A little further poking around and i see that under the 'Software Install' task i can specify my own url -- it looks like my best bet is to MANUALLY setup dynamic update groups based on OS and to, in advance, download and setup the shares for the install files myself. in essence, creating my own software mirror. Unless someone out there knows of a way i can set the cache location of the Apache proxy to a network location. 

I too understand why a company would see the benefit of moving a feature off to a 3rd party. I don't, though, see the benefit to the customer, considering the reduced support, knowledge regarding the product. 

Jdashn