You Are Protected

BudChekov
Go to solution Solved by BudChekov,

Hi folks,

Happy long time user here.

No big deal  but with 9.0.381, every time  I start my Win 7 PC, as well as the Splash Screen which I like,  I get the You Are Protected/Home options screen as well, (same as if I click on the Taskbar icon).

hxxp://support.eset.com/Platform/Publishing/images/Authoring/Image%20Files/ESET/KB_ENG/KB3753_Fig4b.png

@I have to click on the x to get rid of it

Any way to stop this?

regards

Bud.

Edited by BudChekov

• Most Valued Members

you mean the program opens by itself?

i'd recommend to uninstall and reinstall it, as the settings might be corrupted.

follow the instructions here to remove and reinstall the program.

if you don't know your serial number/license key, contact support and they will send it to you.

https://www.eset.com/int/support/contact/

Edited by pavilion_alex

you mean the program opens by itself?

Yes the options screen I linked ^^ pops up behind the NOD32 Splash screen on computer startup.

Reinstalling did not stop this happening.

Bud

Anyone have an answer for this ? ... hxxp://support.eset.com/Platform/Publishing/images/Authoring/Image%20Files/ESET/KB_ENG/KB3753_Fig4b.png

Which annoyingly pops up behind the usual splash screen every startup.and has to be manually closed

Default behavior?? I used the ESET removal tool and reinstalled again;  it still happens.

• Administrators

Please make sure that egui.exe is not registered in the run key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Are there any dumps created in the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Diagnostics folder?

Hi Marcos, thanks,

egui.exe is not registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There are no dumps created in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Diagnostics, only an empty Modules folder.

Bud.

Is there anywhere else to actually get ESET help?

SIX days with no response to what I a would assume a simple UNSOLVED problem  is ridiculous.

What ever happened to the excellent folks who used to frequent the old ESET Wilders forum!?

Have you opened a trouble ticket with ESET Support :wacko: ?

No.

I assumed that was what this place was for.

I'll try Live Chat tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bud.

• Solution

Hey TF happy to say I've bungled into 'solving' it.

Marcos got me thinking with this....

egui.exe is not registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Even though that reg key was not there..

Ran msconfig.exe...

egui.exe was listed as a  Windows Startup program so for the heck of it I unchecked the entry, on restart the only thing appearing was the  regular ESET splash screen and  the egui.exe process is running fine in the Task Manager.

Thanks. :)

Edited by BudChekov

• Administrators

Do you remember under which registry key was the reference to egui.exe located? It used to be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run until v9. As of v9, egui.exe is started by ekrn.exe and egui.exe is not registered in the registry.

Do you remember under which registry key was the reference to egui.exe located? It used to be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run until v9. As of v9, egui.exe is started by ekrn.exe and egui.exe is not registered in the registry.

I never found a key but just searched  'egui.exe' in the registry (which is pretty much a mystery  to me) and this came up..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BillP Studios\Detected\Startup

..which is WinPatrol.

Hey TF happy to say I've bungled into 'solving' it.

Marcos got me thinking with this....

Even though that reg key was not there..

Ran msconfig.exe...

egui.exe was listed as a  Windows Startup program so for the heck of it I unchecked the entry, on restart the only thing appearing was the  regular ESET splash screen and  the egui.exe process is running fine in the Task Manager.

Thanks. :)

Good for you! ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

This problem is not solved with Version 10.386. :(

I get the ''YOU ARE PROTECTED'' on every boot.

NOD%20v10%20You%20are%20protected%202017

Which begs the question: What is the use of having an option to disable splash screen if another giant one splashes instead?

NOD%20v10%20Advanced%20UI%202017-01-12_0

• ESET Insiders

Hi Zardoc 

I think this is most likely caused by some third party startup manager. Do you have any kind of programs installed to with slow boot?