Should I use Networking for my update/... problems/ or...?

-My current setup that is causing auto-update & cold startup/restart... problems-

I have only 2 Wiin7 computers on a cable Internet  router-   My desktop, and my backup laptop with the same user account.

I am concerned about transferring malware from one infected computer to the other (in the wild...), so both are set to Public (I have No need to share stored files or printer, but Do share IE11, and Opera browser files).

My problems are with sporadic auto-updating on Both computers, and not being able to use browsers on Cold startup (I have to wait 30min before starting laptop, and then do reboots on both with another 30min wait!-

I changed Internet from Dial-up to always-on (check for updates hourly),  set rules to Trust IP addresses Both ways, but this didn't help?

I'm thinking that Networking may help solve my problems (can always set laptop to Public, if I'm on a trip), but don't want to risk sharing malware... (the whole idea of a backup computer).

How can I set up Networking to maybe solve my problems, but minimize my sharing malware?

Any other suggestions?

Edited by scottls59901

• ESET Staff

Hi @scottls59901,

Interesting question I must say... :huh:

With the ransomware on the wild, share is a risk yes.

Maybe I'm wrong but ESET shouldn't have a problem to update even in a public network.

ESETSS v8 (latest),

If you are using v8, I suggest you to move to version 9. That is the latest. :)

That's all my suggestions, cannot answer the Networking part.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

There are 4 computers, 3 are mine plus a bunch of Android and IOS things around here. The only thing networked is a wireless printer

that I do not use. I haven't even looked how the printer is on the network. It is being used by a 8.1 computer, mine all 10 Pro. If you use a

Workgroup, you can choose what computer and folders get shared or share nothing at all. Mix and match so to speak. When I had my own network set up, I never shared the root of the C: drive which may not be allowed any way, never tried because of a concern like yours.

• ESET Staff

Time ago I have setup the "Home group" of Windows 7+, but nowadays with the

ramsomware I decided to not do it again (even is a great tool to share family

pictures, video, documents, etc).

The ransomware as far as I know (maybe I'm wrong) look for passwords within

the PC and try to use the user account credentials on other share folders and

PC's around. So, (if this is true) your backup laptop with the same account as

the other can receive the infection if the first one got it.

(in the case your backup laptop are active and connected to the network).

I don't know exactly how much protection give you can add if they are on

different network group.

I got "got" with a zip file that subject looked like something I was waiting for. The stuff can come in many forms lately so one

has to be careful in all respects. I don't know all the ways it can infect off hand, but I do know one way !!

Hi @scottls59901,

Interesting question I must say... :huh:

With the ransomware on the wild, share is a risk yes.

Maybe I'm wrong but ESET shouldn't have a problem to update even in a public network.

ESETSS v8 (latest),

If you are using v8, I suggest you to move to version 9. That is the latest. :)

That's all my suggestions, cannot answer the Networking part.

I posted a new Topic about does V9 protect from Ransomware better than V8, and a Mod. replied that they are the same.

I didn't like having to go online to open Help in V9, and Not being able to use Bookmarks in Banking... was a Hassle for me!

I had V8 on my desktop, and V9 on my laptop, and wondered if that maybe caused my update issues? I'm going back to V8 on my

-I wonder why a  Moderator hasn't replied to this Topic yet!?

• ESET Staff

I didn't like having to go online to open Help in V9, and Not being able to use Bookmarks in Banking... was a Hassle for me!

Perhaps is "think to work in another way".

You surf as usual and when go to "Paypal.com" in your current browser, ESET offers the secure one

opened with Paypal.

In case the website you want don't open on Secure Browser, you have to add to the list.

You use your own "bookmarks".

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

Perhaps is "think to work in another way".

You surf as usual and when go to "Paypal.com" in your current browser, ESET offers the secure one

opened with Paypal.

In case the website you want don't open on Secure Browser, you have to add to the list.

You use your own "bookmarks".

RE:- "In case the website you want don't open on Secure Browser, you have to add to the list.

You use your own "bookmarks"."

Where is "the list", and the "Secure Paypal"?

• ESET Staff

This is the KB, on the section "Add or remove banking websites",

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb5657/?viewlocale=en_US

You can add any site you want, even the e-mail ones.

ESET have an internal list (i believe) with all financial and related

sites.

ESET have an internal list (i believe) with all financial and related

sites.

Yes, and they continue to add sites to it too, if some are missing.