Tools > Antivirus and antispyware statistics graph?

When I view the graph for antivirus and antispyware statistics it appears ESET SS is continually scanning images. What troubles me is the "scanned objects" list includes files not only on my computer but is also scanning images from a site I don't recall ever visiting i.e., http:/ /i.mwx.com/web/multimedia/images/miscellaneous/709304_122.jpg . What I'd like to know.. Beneath the Graph there is listed 1.) Total 2.) Scanned object 3.) Statistics started on... Total and Scanned Object continue to advance where Scanned Object is contunually changing. Is this activity current or a historical listing of scanned objects? If it's current, I'd like to know why SS is scanning objects outside of my computer and also I'd like to know a way to stop this activity.

Thanks,

Jon

• Administrators

ESET scans all files that are accessed by the operating system or other applications you have installed. If an application downloads a file or opens a website via http, you'll see that link as the object that is being scanned.

I had reviewed the Tools section because of a notification of an object in quarantine.  After observing and deleting the object I continued to browse the section and looking over "Protection Statistics" noticed the activity.  I had no other programs open so I assume now I have some sort of Malware/Virus lurking.  I've preformed a "quick scan" using Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and found nothing but plan to do a complete scan later on in the day when I have time.  (I have Smart Security set to perform a complete scan daily in the early morning.)  I have come to realize that due to program updates and the like there will be some activity but why the program is scanning off site images seems to indicate a problem.

Thanks,

Jon

I had reviewed the Tools section because of a notification of an object in quarantine.  After observing and deleting the object I continued to browse the section and looking over "Protection Statistics" noticed the activity.  I had no other programs open so I assume now I have some sort of Malware/Virus lurking.  I've preformed a "quick scan" using Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and found nothing but plan to do a complete scan later on in the day when I have time.  (I have Smart Security set to perform a complete scan daily in the early morning.)  I have come to realize that due to program updates and the like there will be some activity but why the program is scanning off site images seems to indicate a problem.

Thanks,

Jon

As far as I know, only because you don't browse the web, or have any programs open, the OS itself is doing all sorts of tasks all the time more or less in the background, so the "statistics" in the GUI may continue to tick tack on and on, and if it is that you are seeing then it's just normal "operations" I would think. 

Also, if the threat was in the quarantine like you say, and you are sure you deleted it from the quarantine and didn't restore it by mistake? Then it's no longer on the system as it has been permanently deleted.

But you can continue to scan with ESET and/or other tools to see if anything is found to be on the safe side.

Edited by SweX

Thanks,

Jon

As far as I know, only because you don't browse the web, or have any programs open, the OS itself is doing all sorts of tasks all the time more or less in the background, so the "statistics" in the GUI may continue to tick tack on and on, and if it is that you are seeing then it's just normal "operations" I would think. 

Also, if the threat was in the quarantine like you say, and you are sure you deleted it from the quarantine and didn't restore it by mistake? Then it's no longer on the system as it has been permanently deleted.

But you can continue to scan with ESET and/or other tools and see if anything is found to be on the safe side.

Swex is correct in regards to the Statistics section of tools.

Eset is a real-time protection, evaluator, so to speak. If you open MSPaint.exe; Eset is going to watch as you open it to check for injections, malicious activity, and if the executable is legitimate and not a virus.

If the Operating system ie Windows , is going to write to make a change to ntuser.dat. (ntuser.dat files are the hkey-current-user hive for the registry.) like changing a startup item that loads on windows, because you decided to install a new program. Then Eset is going to look at that too. [ This is not a change that you would make manually , but an operation the os will carry out after your request to install said software ]

Real-time protection

Real-time protection, on-access scanning, background guard, resident shield, autoprotect, and other synonyms refer to the automatic protection provided by most antivirus, anti-spyware, and other anti-malware programs. This monitors computer systems for suspicious activity such as computer viruses, spyware, adware, and other malicious objects in 'real-time', in other words while data loaded into the computer's active memory: when inserting a CD, opening an email, or browsing the web, or when a file already on the computer is opened or executed.

-Wikipedia AV Software

This also goes for random proprietary software that makes an open connection to a web url, whether its in plain view or silent operation and unknown to the user. (Many apps do this)

As Marcos stated, it will scan whatever images it looks at, connects to, or even files & url's etc.

With that being said . . .

. . . and real time protection explained . . .

I have come to realize that due to program updates and the like there will be some activity but why the program is scanning off site images seems to indicate a problem.

You have nothing to worry about. This my friend , respectively, is NOT a problem, and your protection system by ESET is working normally.

Thank you Jon ~

Edited by Arakasi