Serial task exection (6.3)

Hi

Do tasks (e.g. assigned to dynamic groups) running serially or in parallel? I'm seeing this on a client (see attached) which suggests that the tasks are running in parallel, which seems a bit error-prone?

Many thanks

Jim

EDIT: indeed it does! One has just failed with "another installation is already in progress. Hmmmm.........

post-559-0-08595100-1454603758_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimwillsher

• ESET Staff

Hi

Do tasks (e.g. assigned to dynamic groups) running serially or in parallel? I'm seeing this on a client (see attached) which suggests that the tasks are running in parallel, which seems a bit error-prone?

Many thanks

Jim

EDIT: indeed it does! One has just failed with "another installation is already in progress. Hmmmm.........

Actually it depends on type tasks. All task are started in the same moment, but if they are to be executed in the same "module", they will be synchronized. Your scenario is of course bug caused by special handling of components upgrade task and also msiexec limitations.

For example:

• if you run software installation, export configuration and on-demand scan, they will be executed completely parallel from start to end
  • if you run two software installations, they will be serialized but both started almost in the same moment.

Thanks Martin. Any chance of this being resolved in the future? I set up dynamics groups "Clients with outdated agent" and "clients with outdated Endpoint" and I have upgrade jobs for each. If there's a new release of EEA and ERA as there was this time around, or there's an old machine that's suddenly switched on, then it's likely that both tasks will trigger. And one will always fail.....

Jim

• ESET Staff

Thanks Martin. Any chance of this being resolved in the future? I set up dynamics groups "Clients with outdated agent" and "clients with outdated Endpoint" and I have upgrade jobs for each. If there's a new release of EEA and ERA as there was this time around, or there's an old machine that's suddenly switched on, then it's likely that both tasks will trigger. And one will always fail.....

Jim

All I can tell you now is that it will be tracked as a bug, but this scenario is very problematic because of AGENT service restart required by components upgrade task.

Hi all,

i was following this thread because it's an interesting discussion and this is what i think: it would be nice to have a kind of "pseudo code" to manage task and triggers inside web console, just to let some more complex operations

Mirko

• ESET Insiders

Following this as well. Currently I have the following executed manually:

Install agent

Install Microsoft KB patch

Remove third-party AV

Install ESET

I would love to daisy chain events together with either a "success, proceed to next task" options or an "interval between executions: n (seconds)(minutes)(hours)(days)". I know none of those would take 15 minutes to run but if I could set a time spacing it would achieve the same result.