Upgrading ESET Mobile Device Connector (MDC)

Go to solution Solved by Megachip,

Cause ERAS not supports upgrading MDC, it should be done manually. But is there any guide, manual or something, which describes how to upgrade manually? 

Simply run the binary without params?

Thx a lot, 

best,

meg

I would say, after you've determined that a new version of MDC is available here hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3690/, use the component upgrade task:

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/62/en-US/components_upgrade.htm 

Strange, hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/62/en-US/index.html?components_upgrade.htm tell me that

The following components must be upgraded manually:

ERA Rogue Detection Sensor

ERA Mobile Device Connector

Will try the component upgrade task again. On first try, it failed. 

Regarding to 

ESET Remote Administrator Agent

ESET, spol. s r.o.

yes

Up-to-date version

ESET Remote Administrator Mobile Device Connector

ESET, spol. s r.o.

yes

Outdated version

ESET Remote Administrator Server

ESET, spol. s r.o.

yes

Up-to-date version

ESET Rogue Detection Sensor

ESET, spol. s r.o.

yes

Outdated version

ESET Shared Local Cache

ESET, spol. s r.o.

yes

Outdated version

it should update these 3 components, right?

P.S.

Clicking on your link gets me a 404 (Safari, OS X 10.11.2), while citing the link seems work o.O -> there is an whitespace in your url ;)

But I've found hxxp://help.eset.com/era_admin/62/en-US/index.html?client_tasks_upgrade_components.htm, where these both components not listened as manually.

Edited by Megachip

• ESET Staff

Yes, the simplest way how to upgrade to MDC 6.2 (from 6.0 or 6.1) is to manually run MSI installer in interactive mode. Reason that it is not possible upgrade using "Upgrade infrastructure" task is that MDC 6.2 introduced "breaking" changes in configuration and new parameters (new certificate type) are required and therefore silent installation is not possible.

Future releases are expected to support silent upgrade (if nothing goes wrong, upgrade from 6.2 to 6.3 will be possible using mentioned task)

Yes, the simplest way how to upgrade to MDC 6.2 (from 6.0 or 6.1) is to manually run MSI installer in interactive mode. Reason that it is not possible upgrade using "Upgrade infrastructure" task is that MDC 6.2 introduced "breaking" changes in configuration and new parameters (new certificate type) are required and therefore silent installation is not possible.

Future releases are expected to support silent upgrade (if nothing goes wrong, upgrade from 6.2 to 6.3 will be possible using mentioned task)

Thx. But seems I missed a major thing. Using the ERAS Appliance, so OS is Cent OS. Afaik the linux installer has no interactive mode?

• ESET Staff

Thx. But seems I missed a major thing. Using the ERAS Appliance, so OS is Cent OS. Afaik the linux installer has no interactive mode?

Hoped it is not this case ... you are right, there is no interactive setup and I cannot find any guide for manual upgrade on appliance. Technically it is almost the same as installing new version, except that you can skip certain command line parameters (their value will be loaded from current installation).

I have currently no way how to test it (please create backup or snapshot before proceeding), but I would try to install new version using parameters:

./MDMCore-Linux-x86_64.sh --skip-license --hostname=<ERA SERVER HOSTNAME> --port=2222 --cert-path=Proxy.pfx --cert-auth-path=CA.der

where Proxy.pfx is certificate created in ERA for Proxy product (this is different than for previous MDC versions). Specific arguments are described in documentation: hxxp://help.eset.com/era_install/62/en-US/index.html?mobile_connector_installation_linux.htm .

I have currently no way how to test it (please create backup or snapshot before proceeding), but I would try to install new version using parameters:

./MDMCore-Linux-x86_64.sh --skip-license --hostname=<ERA SERVER HOSTNAME> --port=2222 --cert-path=Proxy.pfx --cert-auth-path=CA.der

Tried the server assisted installation, but the install script still requested for the database connection :(

If useful, this is how 6.1.414 was installed:

./MDMCore-Linux-x86_64.sh --webconsole-password="$secret" --db-type="MySQL Server" --db-driver="MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver" --hostname=*** --https-cert-path=mycert.pfx --db-admin-username=root --db-admin-password="$secret" --db-user-password="$secret2" --db-hostname=localhost --db-port=3306

Would it work to re-run the new installer with the same params? On the other hand, all these params are stored in the config file...

Edited by Megachip

• ESET Staff

Tried the server assisted installation, but the install script still requested for the database connection :(

If useful, this is how 6.1.414 was installed:

./MDMCore-Linux-x86_64.sh --webconsole-password="$secret" --db-type="MySQL Server" --db-driver="MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver" --hostname=*** --https-cert-path=mycert.pfx --db-admin-username=root --db-admin-password="$secret" --db-user-password="$secret2" --db-hostname=localhost --db-port=3306

Would it work to re-run the new installer with the same params? On the other hand, all these params are stored in the config file...

I think "server assisted" scenario won't work for repair or upgrade, only for new installations. But in case you have original DB-related parameters, simply add them to command I thought would work ... in worst case you will have to add all parameters that are required for clean "offline" installation of MDC 6.2 as is described in referenced documentation.

I think "server assisted" scenario won't work for repair or upgrade, only for new installations. But in case you have original DB-related parameters, simply add them to command I thought would work ... in worst case you will have to add all parameters that are required for clean "offline" installation of MDC 6.2 as is described in referenced documentation.

So it require at least the following params (even they are provided via configuration of the already installed version) - should be fixed:

Must be provided:

HTTPS CERTIFICATE:
Provide '--https-cert-path' AND '--https-cert-password'

PEER CERTIFICATE: 
for server-assisted installation provide at least '--webconsole-password'
for offline installation provide '--cert-path' AND '--cert-auth-path'

CONNECTION TO SERVER AT LEAST:
Provide '--hostname'

FOR MYSQL DATABASE AT LEAST:
Provide '--db-type="MySQL Server"' AND '--db-driver' AND '--db-admin-username' AND '--db-admin-password' AND '--db-user-password'

FOR MSSQL DATABASE AT LEAST:
Provide '--db-type="MS SQL Server"' AND '--db-driver' AND '--db-admin-username' AND '--db-admin-password' AND '--db-user-password'

even on 

./MDMCore-Linux-x86_64.sh --hostname=rz-vm57.gfz-potsdam.de --cert-path=agent.pfx --db-admin-username=root --db-admin-password="$secret" --db-user-password="$secret2" --db-type="MySQL Server" --db-driver="MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver" --cert-auth-path=agent.pfx

it requires

2016-01-13 10:28:54 Error: option --https-cert-path was not specified.

So i will try the full install command, cause I do not know where to get (export) the Root CA.

Hmm, neither the installer nor the installed MDM can connect to the db anymore :/

Installer:
2016-01-13 11:02:15 Checking database connection and status...
2016-01-13 11:02:15 ./MDMCore-Linux-x86_64.sh: 1108: Connection to database failed with message: 65535

MDMCore:
2016-01-12 14:00:17 Warning: Could not connect to database. Retrying in 10 seconds.

MySQL is running, connection works with the provided credentials (also to mdm db)

--> hihi, known problem. How to tell MDM which socket to use?

Edited by Megachip

• Solution

So, short HowTo:

1. putting mysql socket to /tmp (if it is not there) ... e.g. via symlink. (Changing param in my.cnf did not work for me in appliance)
  2. Running installer exact the same way as MDMCore was installed. (server assistant seems working)

At least the log tell me, that it will be upgraded:

2016-01-13 14:42:05 Status of current installation is: UPGRADE
2016-01-13 14:42:06 Database status is 'DB_UPGRADEABLE'. Database exists and will be upgraded
Edited by Megachip

Except the following information/warning/error:

2016-01-13 13:42:08 W [1] Cannot parse APNS cert, iOS enrollment and push notifications will not work
2016-01-13 13:42:08 I [1] Logging to directory /var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/MDMCore/Proxy/
2016-01-13 13:42:09 E [18] Perform Update: Cannot parse the license file.

What does this mean?

And ERAS told me, 6.2.180 was the latest version, download provides me 6.2.176. 

• ESET Staff

Happy to hear you were successful.

ERA (and MDM) is currently not able to use socket files when connection to database (we are using TCP connections) but in appliance, MySQL driver misinterprets default database hostname "localhost" and tries to use local socket file instead of TCP sockets. You can work-around this explicitly specifying database server hostname to "--db-hostname=127.0.0.1" as we are doing.

Regarding update failure .. is MDC activated?  Could you try to re-activate it?

Regarding update failure .. is MDC activated?  Could you try to re-activate it?

Didn't know. How to determine? Regarding to ERAS all is fine.

Seems not. Is this anywhere documented?

And ERAS told me, 6.2.180 was the latest version, download provides me 6.2.176. 

Where ERAS get these informations? MDM isn't listened in repository. Website still pointed to 6.2.176. But still the yellow warning that this version is outdated...

• ESET Staff

I hope it is activated in case AGENT managing MDC is not reporting any issues. Are they any other issues except error output in trace.log you posted earlier?

Regarding MDC version information - it is yet another issue in ESET repository. Version 6.2.176.0 is the latest official MDC release. Please ignore these version check report, it is caused by undergoing preparations for new release.

I hope it is activated in case AGENT managing MDC is not reporting any issues. Are they any other issues except error output in trace.log you posted earlier?

Regarding MDC version information - it is yet another issue in ESET repository. Version 6.2.176.0 is the latest official MDC release. Please ignore these version check report, it is caused by undergoing preparations for new release.

Hi martin,

thx for support. I think it is working now, except this.

Best,

meg