EMS killed by taskmanager

Big surprise after installed EMS on a Samsung Galaxy S2 with latest Android.

All went great until I played with phone stock task manager (long press home key) and , that way ,"cleaned" EMS.

After doing that you will have no antivirus protection !!!! Tested several times.

This is a big NO for me. I can't use an mobile security so easy to disable.

Hey ugly

Had you, password protection enabled? I mean, had you password protect your device? If yes then it should not be so easily uninstalled. No matter what, then it should not be so easy to shut down EMS. It would be nice if other users/Eset staff could confirm your findings. Maybe if Eset Mobile Security had "Captcha" installed, to confirm that a program shut down is the intention, would hopefully help regarding this issue.

Regards, Janus

Hey ugly

Had you, password protection enabled? I mean, had you password protect your device? If yes then it should not be so easily uninstalled. No matter what, then it should not be so easy to shut down EMS. It would be nice if other users/Eset staff could confirm your findings. Maybe if Eset Mobile Security had "Captcha" installed, to confirm that a program shut down is the intention, would hopefully help regarding this issue.

Regards, Janus

EMS is password protected. 

It's strange there is no warning that you are unprotected.

I was expecting even a change in the eye color displayed in status bar.

I hope someone from the ESET staff will give us a point of view.

Same issue, on the same type of phone Samsung Galaxy S III (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ). Uninstalled EMS, for now, until eset staff is back from weekend.( other forums like Emsisoft have always staff available, even week-ends) :angry: This forum is just like a desert in the week-ends.

Yes this happens even on Xperia S(ICS). When we close EMS via task manager it stops all eset services including Anti Spam(Call Blocking). If we again start Eset  is shows " Loading Components, Standby". I previously thought that closing EMS from task manager only closes UI but actually it is stopping all eset services.

Edited by Vignesh Raja

IMO this is a serious security flaw.

No answer from ESET ?!

On wilders they said this is ESET Support Forum ....

Doesn't look like.

Edited by ugly

Even though, if this is a real problem or not, does it not then at least, deserve an answer. 11 days without an answer, and with 4 eset users posting for an answer. This is a very arrogant attitude, and I may wonder, what happens when I need help? When I see something like this, then it is not motivating me to renew my license, when times is up. Do you, Eset really live security?

Marcos and Aryeh , ESET moderators , are active in this forum but no answer here about a serious issue.

Probably EMS shows little interest in company even if this is a paid app.

Inexplicable. :(

• Administrators

It was confirmed that is an Android system flaw which affects all software vendors and only Google can fix it. 

It was confirmed that is an Android system flaw which affects all software vendors and only Google can fix it. 

Thank you for an answer,Marcos.
There must be a solution for that as I can give you a few examples of other mobile security not affected by task manager.
Probably you can restart it imediately after been killed (like system processes do).
And make that eye icon in the notification bar change color when something in not working.

I can confirm this issue. Will be attaching a screen.

This is a paid security app.

I have noticed this for months now and assumed it was normal.

I hope to get a confirmation here, or possibly at Blackhat.

I am in no hurry as Eset does an excellent job of catching bad apps the moment i download and install, telling me to remove them immediately and starting the uninstall for me.

The following attached screen, is what i get when i select Eset from the Android pull down menu after running a task manager or clearing from default task manager with android.

Does this mean its not actively protecting until i launch it again ?

Would be nice to have clarification on whether its still protecting or if this is just a GUI launch.

Also is this truly a task kill that's stopping services?

We should be able to come up with a fix for this also from process termination defending !

post-1101-0-04538800-1374944594_thumb.png

Edited by Arakasi

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

I have seen the above attached image numerous times myself when opening the GUI on my Android phone. I also would like to know what it means...

Do yourself a test.

Kill EMS with task manager and , after that, install an Eicar test from Google Play.

It will pass undetected.

:(

Ok well i can refrain from frequently using task manager.

If this is indeed a google issue. Show me where to raise he** against them to provide a fix.

Thanks ugly & eset.

**update

I also noticed that if i use the back button instead of the home button to exit. I receive the loading EMS components again every time.

Very curious on that as well.

Home button vs Back button ?

Thanks again.

Specs: Samsung Galaxy III - Verizon (SCH-i535.10) - Android 4.1.2 [kernal:3.0.31-1152558]

Edited by Arakasi

I just start testing ESET Mobile Security 2 BETA and this one is doing a very good job in protecting from being disabled. :D

Maybe ESET is expecting to launch the new version to fix the problem.

I just start testing ESET Mobile Security 2 BETA and this one is doing a very good job in protecting from being disabled. :D

Maybe ESET is expecting to launch the new version to fix the problem.

Wow, i cant find it on play store or by using the qr scanner.

Is it gone and over now ?

That would make me a little disgruntled i cannot obtain it now until RC or Rp version. I have active sub on #1.

Oh well :(

Maybe i can swindle a link from someone.

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Do not feel bad as when I saw the post about EMS 2 beta above, I searched very thoroughly both the ESET site and the Play Store but could not find it...

Hello,

Do not feel bad as when I saw the post about EMS 2 beta above, I searched very thoroughly both the ESET site and the Play Store but could not find it...

Well...

I found the download for it through a 3rd party site. However Eset has shutdown activation servers for the product as well.

So don't take that route.

I trust Eset will push it out soon. I also trust they wont let us paid users go without some sort of help from this whole debacle, assuming ver2 is better and does not crash.

Trust me i will be passing some of this info along to Eset .

Thanks kent & ugly for feedback

Thanks eset staff

Edited by Arakasi

I spoke too soon.

Unfortunately I managed to kill EMS 2 BETA process with phone task manager and install ,undetected ,an EICAR test.  Too bad.

Hope this will be fix until release.