EMS killed by taskmanager

Installed EMS beta 2 a few minutes ago just to test it again. The problem is still there for me. Nothing changed.

Ugly. My issue was fixed on ver 1 with a google update as stated...

I'm on Verizon. What is your provider and model of phone. You may still be lacking updates specific to phone or service.v

I'm loving ver 2. Its the kill.

I have the latest version of Android 4.1.2 on a Galaxy S2. Phone free of contract. All updates. Problem the same even with the latest EMS 2 release! Even ESET is not denying the issue. Test it yourself by killing EMS via task manager and install Eicar test from Google play. It will pass undetected.

I have the latest version of Android 4.1.2 on a Galaxy S2. Phone free of contract. All updates. Problem the same even with the latest EMS 2 release! Even ESET is not denying the issue. Test it yourself by killing EMS via task manager and install Eicar test from Google play. It will pass undetected.

It was actually found on my phone and removed ugly.

There are a few methods of closing, and not closing, that i found which would stop eset from running in memory, and other methods that it would remain running in memory.

However when used properly and key words here " Left alone " ie "quit messing with it" . The app runs and protects as it should.

Its almost like if you are sitting at your desktop and you uninstall your av, or disable your av , " now check and see if you get infected" ... sure you do.

I will explain in more detail my findings, results, and what works and doesnt work tomorrow at work or after.

I do however notice, as i stated earlier, my bugs, worries, concerns, were patched either by google or eset just prior to v2 release, and ver2 i can tell has a few more enhancements/bugs fixed.

Cheers ~ :)

• Administrators

Tested with Kaspersky, Antivir, Avast, it was possible to kill all 3 via the Task manager. As I wrote, it's a system problem of Android on Samsung mobile phones.

Tested with Kaspersky, Antivir, Avast, it was possible to kill all 3 via the Task manager. As I wrote, it's a system problem of Android on Samsung mobile phones.

I was not able to kill via task manager , and left the phone unprotected , any of the three that you mentioned. Eicar test still detected after "cleaning" !

Tried several times.

same problem of ugly here on galaxy s3 i9300 , and it keeps of popping a message of: "the ems will now be uninstalled, please confirm" .

I believe its a ram issue , I mean uppon low ram task manager kills it. and when low ram occures it disables ems from being a device manager so I need to confirm it as device manager again.

• 5 weeks later...

New version 2.0.815 is still killed by task manager... :(

Andreas from AV-Comparatives said in "Mobile Security Review August 2013" that "using the Task Manager to close unused apps saves battery life". That is perfectly correct and is the method used by many people to free memory. What they do not know is that closing EMS let the phone completely unprotected without any warning. And this is , from my point of view , unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...

Long time passed and no answer.  :(

I mean uppon low ram task manager kills it. 

I will try to reproduce that on my phone.

That is the worst scenario for a security suite - to be killed without user intervention!

Still waiting for an ESET staff opinion...

• Administrators

I don't understand why are you complaining about a security flaw in Samsung's Android implementation - every AV can be killed on certain Samsung mobile phones via the Task manager, it's not only ESET. Will try to create a demonstration video and post it here.

I'm investing time and resources working for you,trying to help.

Sometimes even I do not understand why.

And because this dialogue is not constructive I'll stop here.

Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

It was confirmed that is an Android system flaw which affects all software vendors and only Google can fix it. 

The new version 2.0.843 restarts itself after being killed by task manager, keeping the device protected. It's the same thing KIS4A was doing for a very long time (I've explained this to Marek Lelovic in a e-mail some time ago) .

And I don't think Google fixed anything.....

Congratulations!

I have EMS 2.0.843.0-0 installed on my Xperia S with Android 4.1.2. Task manager does't kill Eset services any more. I tested with  Eicar Test file after closing EMS from Task Manager but EMS caught and reported it.

I have EMS 2.0.843.0-0 installed on my Xperia S with Android 4.1.2. Task manager does't kill Eset services any more. I tested with  Eicar Test file after closing EMS from Task Manager but EMS caught and reported it.

Finaly the isssue was solved. Task manager does kill EMS but the app is restarted imediately after that.

I am glad you confirm the issue on Xperia phone and not only " on certain Samsung mobile phones" as Marcos stated.

Luckily ESET developers solved the problem alone and did not expect Google to fix it because that, probably, would never have happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice to see this come to a nice concluding end.

Thanks for being persistent and patient ugly.

Maybe mods can close up this long thread now with a final Answer. :)

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

unfortunatelly, the same problem appeared again:(. I have LG Optimus G with genuine OS and premium EMS v3.0.964.0-0. Everything worked well, that means EMS run silently in the background showing (E) icon on the task bar and was invisible to task manager so it could not be manually killed. However, since I updated Android from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2, EMS is running as application (not as service), therefore it is listed in task manager and can be very easily killed which causes unavailability of all its functiun, Auto-Theft in particular.

Somewhere in this thread there was written, it could be systematic error of Android, not Eset, but as an example I can name several applications running in the background invisibly to task manager. That means it is somehow possible and it could be bug of ESET.

Do you have any ideas what to do? In this form, EMS is unusable for me becouse its essential functions can be easily unavailable if needed.

Thanks

kocicak

This topic was quite old but I also tried to reproduce this problem with the new version of EMS. (also on a not-rooted device)

At first it really looks like ESET was killed. (the 'e' disappeared from the notification area)

But I had the intention that only the GUI was killed, so to test the Anti-Theft functionality: I made a suspicious activity and then it successfully blocked my device. But then 2 strange things appeared:

1. EMS reported nothing to myESET and so on myESET the device looked like normal. (WLAN and data usage was on and it also was in a WLAN)
  2. I was unable to use the button "emergency". It just not worked! I can press it thousand times and it just displayed nothing!
Edited by rugk

Hi,I can confirm this that you can kill Eset easily with the Taskmanager on my LG L9 2 with non rooted Kit Kat 4.4.2.

But the virus protection is still working,and I tested the Anti Theft modul also and it worked but the Eset sign in the taskbar disappears the whole time until I will start the Eset App.

This happens also when I have big RAM usage like in my browser with several taps opened.Then also the Eset sign will disappear.

I like the App but that it is shown in the Taskmanager is a big whole which I had never seen on any other Android security apps.

Please fix that.

• Most Valued Members

Just making sure, does this particular issue continue to happen even after clearing the cache from the Application manager, uninstalling ESET Mobile Security from within the app itself, restarting the device and then reinstalling the latest version, after the Android upgrade?

Edited by planet

Just making sure, does this particular issue continue to happen even after clearing the cache from the Application manager, uninstalling ESET Mobile Security from within the app itself, restarting the device and then reinstalling the latest version, after the Android upgrade?

Hi,sorry that I answer so late but the new user only 1 comment rule was on(LOL).I did that what you wrote and nothing changed.And I must correct my former post,all components are off when EMS is killed by the Taskmanager(I tested it several times).That is not acceptable so I deinstalled EMS and go back to my old AV app.I never seen that behavior on any other AV app(also on Kit Kat).Until they fix this EMS is not an option for me.Sad,on PC it is top and I liked also EMS.

Edited by Margos