Beta feature request

• Most Valued Members

Hi there.

I've used Eset in the past as I often try out different security suites and got an email about a new beta for version 9 coming soon and thought I'd share an idea I've had for a while.

One problem I've came across with many security suites is sometimes it can be hard for general users to figure out if a security suite is blocking a particular program or file. A way people use to troubleshoot this common issue is to temporarily disable their security suite and while this generally works if it is the security suite doing the blocking, it also means the user is temporarily without full protection.

A good example is when I wanted to run a game without using game mode. The game was being blocked but no option or alert was coming up to unblock it. I decided to add the games .exe into the firewall rules, allowing it full access but it turned out it was another file in the games folder being blocked (possibly a .dll I can't remember).

My idea is a very simple troubleshooting system that could fix this issue easily. A system that would allow users to run a scan to see what was being blocked, including running programs, processes etc. that were being blocked with an option to scan a file e.g. an .exe and if that .exe isn't being blocked but a file that's linked to it is, this information being displayed with options to unblock it.

Basically a user can run a scan, see what's being blocked and allow if need be and all this time their security suite is still running so they aren't putting their computers at risk. I don't know how complicated this idea is to implement but I think if it was done correctly it would make things far easier for general users as firewall zones and stuff can be complicated for basic users.

• Most Valued Members

A firewall troubleshooting wizard is part of v9 :)

I really like the idea of this. Could this be implemented into other areas to? By this I mean a general troubleshooter rather than just a firewall troubleshooter in case something else e.g. antivirus, Hips etc. is the issue and not the firewall

At first nice news - sounds good.

And for what it would also be useful - maybe HIPS? HIPS also uses rules and I highly assume that it can be (in some cases, with some rules) also cause many troubles. :D

• Most Valued Members

The firewall has rules so it does make sense here I can't imagine what exactly would it do with real-time protection for example.

P.R.

May I also suggest having the option to run the troubleshoot wizard in the right click menu when right clicking on the Eset tray icon and possibly even on the home area.

It took me a while to figure out where the troubleshooter was and people with not a lot of knowledge would benefit from having it displayed straight away.

SysRescue is download only in beta.... Please include a sysrescue live creator in upcoming version/release as SysRescue Live is not frequently updated.

• ESET Insiders

Anyone know how to edit context menu? if i want to choose clean only for example

Also i hope it to let the user choose between new interface and Endpoint interface this will be great