Every scan shows after the files error opening, archive damaged, password protected or error unknown compression method. Which leads me to assume nothing is really getting scanned. I have System Mechanic which I use to clean up annoying errors like registry fix etc. I have no idea what is going on. I set ESET to scan every day and the results are the same. The first time I used it, it found 10 infected and cleaned them.

Latest scan log which is typical and system info is attached.

Thanks in advance. ESET.rtfpost-6244-0-77814200-1421784993_thumb.png

• Most Valued Members

the lines in blue mean that the file can't be opened or it is being used by another application, usually by the OS.

locked files are always scanned during start-up and shutdown of the pc.

don't be afraid.

• Most Valued Members

Cleaning the registry provides little, if any, improvement in system operation in Windows 7 and above like it did in Windows XP.

However, cleaning the registry can cause serious damage. If you do not know what you are removing or do not have experience editing the registry it is recommended that you leave it alone as the risk out weighs any benefit you might think you gain.

Cleaning the registry provides little, if any, improvement in system operation in Windows 7 and above like it did in Windows XP.

However, cleaning the registry can cause serious damage. If you do not know what you are removing or do not have experience editing the registry it is recommended that you leave it alone as the risk out weighs any benefit you might think you gain.

Point well made SCR.

Yes, but every single program and line has a blue line after it?! Either password protected or error opening, ect. I don't know, as I said a use a program called System Mechanic to take care of things. It looks for broken registry and shortcuts and will fix them. Among other things.

Well you have really much of these lines.

Most are archives from games and contain some password-protected archives.

Maybe the game authors didn't wanted that you can open these files and extract the single files.

Additionally it looks very much because ESS can see the content (filenames) of the archives, but can't extract them, because they are password protected. And so ESS lists every single file it finds in every archive and says "there is a filename, but I can't read the content - so there is something wrong".

Also there are some boot-sectors which couldn't be scanned - this can be solved when running the scan as an administrator.

About "System Mechanic": If this is only about the registry then the chance that this has nothing to do with the "blue lines" you get during scanning is high. Because ESET doesn't scan the registry. And the only things I could found in your log about this software is that the installation file has some password-protected files inside.

But as far as I can evaluate this, this is nothing where you would have to worry about.

BTW this kb article also has some information about the "blue lines": Blue "error opening" notifications in Computer scan log

Edited by rugk

• Most Valued Members

Yes, but every single program and line has a blue line after it?! Either password protected or error opening, ect. I don't know, as I said a use a program called System Mechanic to take care of things. It looks for broken registry and shortcuts and will fix them. Among other things.

If you insist on using a one button fixes everything type software and leave it to make the choices as to the validity of the file or key it's removing then I strongly recommend frequent images of your system drive. Keep several as sometimes it takes a while for the damage to catch up and bite you.

Point well made SCR.

Thanks Tom, Unfortunately I speak from experience :wacko:

Edited by SCR

Thank you all. I do have an external hard drive that I need to use a little more frequently. I don't think it has anything to do with the registry just that I use Sys Mechanic to clean up my pc and find broken registries and shortcuts, clutter. Yes I know I could do it myself, but sometimes I get a tad lazy. It did have good reviews which can sometimes mean nothing. I'll create another account and run it as an admin, because when I did that yesterday same results.

Edited by faechyld

What I meant which "run as admin" was that you have to press the button "Run scan as administrator" in the user-defined scan. The UAC will do the rest for you. :D

But there I was only talking about circa 2 lines of all the blue lines, so don't expect any great difference.
Like I explained these blue lines do not indicate a (direct) security risk and you can highly assume that it's normal behaviour.

Or like it's written in the kb article:

If a locked file contains a threat, it will appear in red text in the scan log–files displayed in blue are noted for informational purposes only and do not pose a threat to your system.

So to answer your question in the title:

Am I infected? Based on the scan log you provided, no you aren't.