Download for EI Server 1.11.2878.0 is not available

ESET Protect is showing a new version of the EI Connector and the software install tasks are also showing 1.11.2878.0 available.

However, I'm not finding the updated server version on the download page. The latest available for download is 1.11.2872.0

Also, the changelog only indicates:

• Fixed: Performance issues
  • Fixed: Reliability issues

Are there any more specifics available for this version?

You can download the MSI file from repository: [removed the link due to found issues, see post below]

As to why it is not available on download page & more info about the changelog, I'll leave that to one of the official ESET forum members ;)

Edited by Mitchell

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

https://status.eset.com/incidents/mvzcyz3qmm7h
"The upgrade was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. A new time will be announced for the upgrade."

This is applicable for the on-prem version as well.

P.S. A general recommendation is to update the EI server first, then the EI connectors.

Peter

@Peter Randziak - 
It was removed, yet it was automatically installed on a bunch of machines in our organization:
image.thumb.png.ed91768d2e3e4168802332d92bc15763.png

image.png.608342772446c27fcd7978849a4ae100.png

This happened automatically - I assume the client task automatically directed 1.11.2872 to 1.11.2878.
(I'll add more details if I have. ) 
Those 29 machines are all Macs no Windows-based machine has that update.

6 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

P.S. A general recommendation is to update the EI server first, then the EI connectors.

Yes, this is why I was looking for the server download. The clients all showed the update available but the server had not been updated.

So what happens when auto-update causes the connectors to update before the server has been updated as in the case of  @avielc?

This is a perfect example of why we cannot rely on the auto-update feature.

Our server has been updated to 1.11.2872 a while ago (I think a week ago)
Didn't see any notification for Server update anywhere. 
So I'm not sure how the automated update process actually pushed 1.11.2878 to some clients. 

Quick update - You can't overwrite 2878 with 2872 installation task. - it must be removed first before reinstalling. 

1 minute ago, avielc said:

Our server has been updated to 1.11.2872 a while ago (I think a week ago)
Didn't see any notification for Server update anywhere. 
So I'm not sure how the automated update process actually pushed 1.11.2878 to some clients. 

Quick update - You can't overwrite 2878 with 2872 installation task. - it must be removed first before reinstalling. 

We've been on .2872 for a few weeks, as well. I only noticed the update as it was flagged in the EP Console on the clients as having a newer version available, seen in each clients' list of "Installed Applications". And when I looked at the 'Software Install' tasks, the newer Connector version was available as an option to install. It has since been removed and is no longer available/visible in the EP Console.

Just now, j-gray said:

We've been on .2872 for a few weeks, as well. I only noticed the update as it was flagged in the EP Console on the clients as having a newer version available, seen in each clients' list of "Installed Applications". And when I looked at the 'Software Install' tasks, the newer Connector version was available as an option to install. It has since been removed and is no longer available/visible in the EP Console.

Yea, I noticed today too. 
Basically computers were with 2878 and the newest version was 2872. 
This meant that these installed machines (29 of them) would receive consecutive tasks from the dynamic directory where they are "outdated" just because their version mismatch the latest which used to be 2872. 
(I am not going to look at the logs to know how much data was sent out over that. I rather sleep at night 😅)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing now that the latest EI Server version is 1.11.2882.0.  But the OS X EI Connector install is a later version thatn the server: 1.11.2883.0

Is this expected and/or problematic?

• ESET Moderators
17 hours ago, j-gray said:

I'm seeing now that the latest EI Server version is 1.11.2882.0.  But the OS X EI Connector install is a later version thatn the server: 1.11.2883.0

Is this expected and/or problematic?

No in this case, as for the macOS version the dev team needed to fix an issue so they incremented the version number for that fixed build. So this versions of EI server and connector are meant to be used together.

Generally in is recommended to upgrade the EI server first, later the connectors.

2 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

No in this case, as for the macOS version the dev team needed to fix an issue so they incremented the version number for that fixed build. So this versions of EI server and connector are meant to be used together.

Generally in is recommended to upgrade the EI server first, later the connectors.

Hey Peter,

Can we ask the Dev Team \ product to provide some release notes prior or when a new version is out?

I don't mind being listed for a spam of emails for every minor version that comes out. but I want to know. 

To give a small analogy from a "small" company (Blizzard) when they messed up their first update, they decided to publish release notes almost a week prior to actually patching. 

This is extremely important for any client base and community, ESET should be no different.

Another option I thought about: 
We have RSS feed in the web Console.
I'm sure there are other options to make sure admins can receive information in a visible and clear manner.

Thanks

• ESET Moderators

Hello @avielc,

a colleague suggested an option to subscribe to the Support new RSS feed available at https://support.eset.com which is available in the EPC feed as well

image.png

Clicking the link will more information about the new version along with the appropriate changelog.

image.png

1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @avielc,

a colleague suggested an option to subscribe to the Support new RSS feed available at https://support.eset.com which is available in the EPC feed as well

image.png

Clicking the link will more information about the new version along with the appropriate changelog.

image.png

This is great!
Thank you very much Peter, I'll definitely add that to my feed and follow up there
Kudos!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 12:10 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @avielc,

image.png

image.png

Hi @Peter Randziak

This is a follow up on that
I noticed lately few new versions drop out and not appear in the RSS feed. 

I have new versions for Inspect EEA and ERA and no notification when that happens
Can we get something going and escalated - I need release logs to be delivered to my mail as soon as a new version is out or earlier

Screenshot of RSS Feed today:
image.png.888b6781c1bf16fc8bfa479bb4f7ae4f.png

Screenshot of new versions out in the Console: (First is Mac, second is windows)
image.thumb.png.065b481a08cbdc6e91329878c6c7d005.png

image.thumb.png.c52f0ff93b3f4c4321b32b54f2b2b592.png

ESET Inspect connector for Mac is outdated even though the latest version is only 1.11.2882.0, the version in the screenshot doesn't appear on the list  of available versions: (see below)
image.thumb.png.cc52d43e0e56f894b0e80728bb7afdf7.png

While at it. suggestion, Can we add "Latest" tag to the package versions (on all products) to make sure I don't need to edit task every time a new version sneaks in? (If I feel sure for a certain version, e.g. Inspect)

Thanks.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @avielc,

2 hours ago, avielc said:

I noticed lately few new versions drop out and not appear in the RSS feed. 

I have new versions for Inspect EEA and ERA and no notification when that happens
Can we get something going and escalated - I need release logs to be delivered to my mail as soon as a new version is out or earlier

I'm checking it.

ESET Inspect connector for Mac is outdated even though the latest version is only 1.11.2882.0, the version in the screenshot doesn't appear on the list  of available versions: (see below)

I can see 1.11.2882.0 in our EPC, which is the latest version available for macOS https://www.eset.com/int/business/download/inspect/#connector

I can see that the info on a different version for macOS is omitted in https://support.eset.com/en/news8467-eset-inspect-and-eset-inspect-cloud-hotfix-version-1-11-2882-have-been-released 😞 , I passed the report further and it has been fixed in the meantime.

image.png

Have you changed the Repository URL? 
If not, I would recommend to restart the ESET PROTECT service.

While at it. suggestion, Can we add "Latest" tag to the package versions (on all products) to make sure I don't need to edit task every time a new version sneaks in? (If I feel sure for a certain version, e.g. Inspect)

Already tracked. (note for us: G_WISH-4948) it has some prerequisites so it might take time to implement it...

Peter

Thank you for that mate, really appreciate your answer.

1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

Have you changed the Repository URL? 
If not, I would recommend to restart the ESET PROTECT service.

I have not changed anything in that part. 
I'll give it a restart next week as currently i'm deploying 2050 update on windows machine.

Thanks again. 

*quick edit* 
Inspect on Mac (check release log on the link you provided):
image.png.f54e651d349ea29c6c10555af68cebf4.png

🙃 

*second edit*
If you change the Operating system type to macos it would have the write package available (at least UI wise) 
Changelog remains the same.

Edited by avielc

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

On 8/31/2023 at 2:51 PM, avielc said:

If you change the Operating system type to macos it would have the write package available (at least UI wise) 
Changelog remains the same.

as far as I know, the version for macOS needed just some hotfix.
The changelogs for multi-component downloads are always the same, afaik.

Peter

Thank you for that Peter. 
Wish the dev-team would invest just a little more in providing proper change log instead of the anonymous

"Fixed: Performance / Reliability issues"

• 4 weeks later...

@Peter Randziak

Hi Peter, I'm writing here to make sure others will be aware of it. 
I have passed 2-3 version updates that aren't reported in the RSS feed
I will choose the most recent example - Ubuntu EEA had an update, nothing is reported, not on the RSS feed, nor on the EC dashboard. 

image.png.fbe0a65b79164c98e23b746d6a6d1973.png

image.png.7b8b0390e43b0a12634b2677d6027789.png

image.png.59be46187bf2b7a3e17d85ceed730d9e.png

Same goes for EESv6 for macOS being updated to 6.11.616.0 for macOS Sonoma support. 

This is causing all the dev machines running Ubuntu to be automatically updated to 10.1.8.0 and then receive a task to automatically downgrade back as there are rules\dynamic folder-tasks in place to make sure everyone are on a certain version. 
WIthout me knowing about it, this will throw them into that loop.
Also, if the version is broken, I won't know about it until I hear the devs scream in agony that things aren't working for them. - I can't have that. 

Please escalate that as well. with some urgency and priority. 
If you have an address i can reach out to, to be heard better as a customer, feel free to message me, I'll be sure to use it.

Thank you.

On 9/28/2023 at 6:36 AM, avielc said:

This is causing all the dev machines running Ubuntu to be automatically updated to 10.1.8.0 and then receive a task to automatically downgrade back as there are rules\dynamic folder-tasks in place to make sure everyone are on a certain version. 
WIthout me knowing about it, this will throw them into that loop.
Also, if the version is broken, I won't know about it until I hear the devs scream in agony that things aren't working for them. - I can't have that. 

Against my better judgement, we ran with the default auto-update policy setting when we migrated to the cloud and then almost immediately got bitten by the OS X 7.4 catastrophe.

So I'm back to manually managing the upgrade process. We just can't allow updates to proceed en-masse without sufficient testing first.

On 9/30/2023 at 12:04 AM, j-gray said:

Against my better judgement, we ran with the default auto-update policy setting when we migrated to the cloud and then almost immediately got bitten by the OS X 7.4 catastrophe.

So I'm back to manually managing the upgrade process. We just can't allow updates to proceed en-masse without sufficient testing first.

I Removed the auto upgrade feature just now, thanks for mentioning as it helped me understand it can be removed (or better yet, unassigned)