Creating dynamic group for a subnet, but exclude certain logged in users

I'm trying to get a dynamic group configured that includes all desktops in a certain subnet, but excludes a handful of logged in users, namely members of our IT team. What I am trying to accomplish is to get these desktops into a group so that we can apply a weekly reboot task to them as our users never want to reboot, preventing us from pushing updates.

So far, I can get all of the desktops in the subnet included in the group, but I cannot seem to exclude myself (or other IT team members).

Any help is appreciated.

• ESET Staff

I would definitely recommend to create two separate dynamic groups/templates and stack them - it would be more transparent.

Regarding second part, which should include only devices where no user from specific list of logged in, I think something like this:
image.png
should work. "Negative" design should make it work even in case there are multiple logged-in users reported, but this would have to be tested...

12 hours ago, MartinK said:

I would definitely recommend to create two separate dynamic groups/templates and stack them - it would be more transparent.

Regarding second part, which should include only devices where no user from specific list of logged in, I think something like this:
image.png
should work. "Negative" design should make it work even in case there are multiple logged-in users reported, but this would have to be tested...

I don't seem to be able to stack dynamic groups. Can you elaborate, or post a link to a KB explaining this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff
On 4/21/2022 at 7:28 PM, Campbell IT said:

I don't seem to be able to stack dynamic groups. Can you elaborate, or post a link to a KB explaining this?

By stacking I meant hierarchy of dynamic groups, for example as is by default for specific groups:
image.png

Such hierarchy can be created manually when creating new groups, or using "drag-and-drop" for existing groups. As an result, only devices matching all groups/dynamic group templates will be part of "deepest" group. All group has it's own template in this case, which make is more readable and easier for verification.