Formating an encrypted disk

PaulOkello

I have a problem with encryption. I could not the recover password for ESET EFDE using the password recover, so I tried data recovery but still could not get my computer back. Now my question is if I format my disk, will ESET still ask for the pre login password ? If so how can remove the password if it is stored in the BIOS? I have given up on all my data, Just want a fresh install.

• ESET Staff

Hi @PaulOkello,

I would advise you format your disk using DiskPart -> clean all (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/clean) which will clean all of the sectors on the disk fully.

Note that the ESET Encryption Boot files are not stored within the BIOS rather the EFI System Partition (ESP), so formatting the Disk completely will remove these files and you will not need to enter your FDE Password again or remove it manually.

You shall then be able to freshly install Windows and start again.

However, we might be able to assist you in decrypting the Disk if we can understand why you were not able to use the Recovery Password, what did it say when you attempted to use the Recovery Password?

Also, have you attempted to use the Recovery Data to decrypt the Disk by any chance: https://help.eset.com/efde/en-US/recovery_data.html using our ESET Recovery Utility?

Thank you,

Kieran

Edited by Kstainton

Thanks for your reply, I talked to our local support and told me that it is impossible for me to remove disk partition and format an encrypted disk. 

What really happened was this; I encrypted the disk and completed successfully. But some of my application like teams where not opening, giving an error ""Your computer's Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned. If the error persists, contact your system administrator with the error code 80090016". So did some google search and there was one article that said to run TPM.msc and clear tpm. When I did this and after restarting the computer the computer, when I entered my ESET pre-login password, it said it was a wrong password. So decided to do a password recovery, entering the password generated, I could start Windows 10, but this time the Windows goes to a repair mode and yet it could not repair Windows system.

So decided to try data recovery, that too was giving errors

1-"Disk Data does not show a valid file system so decryption cannot continue". click next

2-Decryption data failed .\nIf  you are using a recovery file please verify it is for this computer. (0x6) please report...

3-This computer will shutdown.

I have a ticket opened, still waiting for a response from support. Otherwise I don't care of my data and files anymore. So I was planning just to remove the partitions and format the disk and install windows. But local support said it cannot do that

• ESET Staff

Hi @PaulOkello,

You certainly can format a encrypted disk. Here are some instructions if you support ticket doesn't help you resolve the problem with decrypting the disk:

1. Boot from a Windows Media USB
  2. Once booted, press Shift+F10 to open Command Prompt
  3. Enter "diskpart"
  4. Enter "list disk"
  5. Enter "sel disk #"
    • Enter the correct # that matches the disk you want to format
  6. Enter "clean all"

Once you have done this you should be able to reinstall Windows on the Disk.

Thank you,

Kieran

I will wait for a response from support and if they are not finding anything by today, I will format the disk tomorrow

Thanks very much for your assistance, it has taken me a week figuring what to do.

Regards

• ESET Staff
10 minutes ago, PaulOkello said:

I will wait for a response from support and if they are not finding anything by today, I will format the disk tomorrow

Thanks very much for your assistance, it has taken me a week figuring what to do.

Regards

No worries, if you need anything else please don't hesitate to get in touch. 

Thank you.