Req: Add fundamental option for notification upon detection, "Always remedy, but notify"

I never know when a detection is made and cleaned, therefore I can never take the time to assess when or where an infection originated, which is harmful to security.

The only option I see is "always ask end user". I would rather it immediately nullify the threat, because I don't want to wait for the damage to be done, but notify me upon cleaning, while offering to undo the remedy.

Is there any way to accomplish this most basic functionality with eset?

Edited by Tzatz

Does ESET "always ask end user" prevent malware from executing? and is it invincible to novel unforeseen zero-day breakthrough?

Edited by Tzatz

• Administrators

If a threat is detected upon accessing a malicious file, the file is always blocked and execution is prevented no matter if an action is performed automatically or if no action is chosen by the user.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

If a threat is detected upon accessing a malicious file, the file is always blocked and execution is prevented no matter if an action is performed automatically or if no action is chosen by the user.

Well, that is good to know. It would be nice to see an option to auto-clean, then provide a user an option to undo the remedy, that option is available in the vast majority of anti-virus software.

19 hours ago, Tzatz said:

then provide a user an option to undo the remedy

Why would you want to do that? An admin maybe, but personally, I wouldn't want an end-user undoing it. To me, that's a huge security breach.

Same reason microsoft windows defender does it by default. Having that option to chose would take one extra step out of the process for users like myself who would utilize this feature.

Edited by Tzatz

On 11/29/2021 at 9:34 PM, Tzatz said:

Well, that is good to know. It would be nice to see an option to auto-clean, then provide a user an option to undo the remedy, that option is available in the vast majority of anti-virus software.

You can restore anything that has been quarantined. Your restore options vary based on the threat detected. The below screen shot shows an Eset suspicious detection which allows for restore to original directory.

Eset_Quarantine.thumb.png.f6b9a23502a5369fed275ed16c04adaa.png

• Most Valued Members

This reminds me of the fact you can't select always ignore as an option at the end of a virus scan. Instead you have to go into exceptions 

11 hours ago, peteyt said:

This reminds me of the fact you can't select always ignore as an option at the end of a virus scan. Instead you have to go into exceptions 

Yes that would be another basic and fundamental feature that would improve ESET products greatly.

13 hours ago, itman said:

You can restore anything that has been quarantined. Your restore options vary based on the threat detected. The below screen shot shows an Eset suspicious detection which allows for restore to original directory.

Eset_Quarantine.thumb.png.f6b9a23502a5369fed275ed16c04adaa.png

Note how "restore and exclude from scanning" is grayed out? why debase the software? One has to enter tools, then "more tools", then quarantine, etc...  and the "restore and exclude from scanning" option is grayed out, forcing users to restore every time, or to manually add an exception.

What I suggest is a simple option, for a popup upon cleaning, to restore, and exclude from scanning would make ESET pass the baseline of security feature standards.

Edited by Tzatz

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, Tzatz said:

Yes that would be another basic and fundamental feature that would improve ESET products greatly.

I belive it is done to avoid someone accidently telling it to ignore malware for good. I have suggested having it be an option that would need to be enabled and is disabled by default, which might stop this happening 

10 hours ago, Tzatz said:

Note how "restore and exclude from scanning" is grayed out? why debase the software?

Only available for PUA detections:

Restoring from the Quarantine

Quarantined files can also be restored to their original location:

Use the Restore feature for this purpose, which is available from the context menu by right-clicking a given file in the Quarantine.

If a file is marked as a potentially unwanted application, the Restore and exclude from scanning option is enabled. See also Exclusions.

Edited by itman