Eset Advertisement

novice

Hi,

I have NOD 32 installed on my PC;

I couldn't help but notice that on most of the pages I visit (newspaper) there is an Advertisement to buy ESET (see attachment)

I never seen an advertisement to buy another AV; however I already have NOD32 and I do not   plan to buy another for 1 year.

I am being tracked somehow?

Thanks!

post-1289-0-77059400-1407367672_thumb.jpg

Nope, no tracking that i know of.

The sites are probably on the affiliate program and whoever purchases Eset from the site receives compensation for the site owner.

Edited by Arakasi

Hello,

It looks like they are from adchoices. 

For example I visit my paytv distributors website daily to see what's going on....

Then later on when I visit a weather site that I also visit daily wich happens to have adchoices powered ads, I see ads with good "deals" connected to my paytv distributor, as adchoices knows that I visit my paytv distributors website daily so they think I am very interested in that, but they don't know that I am already a customer since several years of that paytv distributor so the ads is of no interest for me.

So if you visit eset.com often and then go to for example cnn.com that have adchoices powered ads, they show ads that you may be interested in based on what sites you visit. There are of course ways you can block these if you want. 

WHAT IS "INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING"?

Just what it says: advertising that is delivered to you based on your likely interests. This type of advertising tries to make the ads you see more relevant based on the types of sites that you visit on the Web. With interest-based advertising, you receive ads and offers for products and services that are more likely to be useful to you.

hxxp://www.youradchoices.com/faq.aspx

You can also see ads from Google Adsense but they can be labled Adchoices.

You may see AdSense ads that are labeled "Ads by Google" or "Ad Choices".  "Ad Choices" is a label that many advertising programs use, so just because you see "Ad Choices" does not necessarily mean that you are seeing an AdSense ad.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/adsense/NHsL-3j-fZs/3t-iqD-JIc8J

How does Adsense work:hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdSense#How_AdSense_works

Speaking about cnn.com I found this page: hxxp://edition.cnn.com/services/ad.choices/

If you delete your cookies then you would need to set it again. (Apparently I was already "opted out" but I have never been on that page before and I do delete my cookies, funny enough I don't see any adchoices powered ads on cnn.com)

Despite what CNN says on that page keep the option enabled to block third party cookies in your browser(s) If you don't do that already then start now. You may also be interested in using an ad-blocker of some kind.

Edited by SweX

Hmm but Internet Explorer is actually a quite safe browser these days compared to how it was in the past.  ;)

But he surely don't need Google Chrome to get rid of the ads :P

Chrome may be considered very safe with its sandboxed processes and all. But I can never use a browser that I don't like just because its in-built security is better.

Personally I think the OP should use whatever browser he likes the most  :wub:

Edited by SweX

Internet Explorer does not have any add ons or extensions like Google Chrome and Firefox. There for it is nowhere near as secure as Chrome or Firefox.  Internet Explorer is the most exploited browser. Why people use it is beyond me. The person is complaining about ads. Well if you don't wanna see ads then use an ad blocker. Its that easy. 

Recently there have been malware attacks via ads. Remove the ads then you remove the risks. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

"The person is complaining about ads"

Well, "the person" is not complaining about ads, is complaining seeing THE SAME ADD on most of the pages " BUY ESET" , when I already have NOD 32 installed on my PC.

How come I never seen "Buy Kaspersky" or "Buy Bit Defender"  even though I visit daily their forums.

Something is going on here....

Ads are on every webpage. Yahoo, MSN, etc. There are things called tracking cookies. Cookies tell companies where you have been. Just like Gmail or Outlook.com shows advertisements based on your interests. It is completely normal. If you do not want to see this stuff then do as I suggested. Read all about it here. Google Chrome as an "incognito" mode to make your browser sessions more private. I have not seen an ad in years since using Google Chrome with ad ons. Firefox either. 

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-protect-your-online-privacy.htm

Eset is not the NSA either. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

I dont recommend Google, they are the worst at tracking.

Go with Firefox and install Adguard or AdBLockPlus-ABP

So untrue. Everyone tracks you. Not much you can do about it. I use Google everything. Gmail, Drive, Docs, calendar. Don't forget that YouTube is owned by Google. 

• Most Valued Members

Just a few things you could do:

• Visit the link rugk provides under this post and add "EasyList Standard" and "EasyPrivacy".
  • Visit Google's Ads Settings to see what information Google has about you for their ads, and scroll down and click "Opt-out" for both columns if available. It's ideal to login to your Google Account if you have one so these settings can apply to your account instead of just your browser.
  • Following SweX's post, consider visiting hxxp://www.aboutads.info/choices/ which has a larger company list to opt-out from them all, to which you can then install "Protect My Choices" for Internet Explorer (but is in Beta) to retain your opt-out even after clearing your cookies.
  • Make sure you're using the latest version of Internet Explorer which blocks third-party cookies by default, by checking and installing from Windows Update on your computer.
Edited by planet

Google is the worst at tracking.

But to say "it's the worst" you have to ask more of your cousins ;):

• Who, who is working at Apple.
  • Who, who is working at Microsoft.
  • Who, who is working at Oracle.
  • Who, who is working at Mozilla.
  • and so on...

Google is the worst at tracking.

But to say "it's the worst" you have to ask more of your cousins ;):

• Who, who is working at Apple.
  • Who, who is working at Microsoft.
  • Who, who is working at Oracle.
  • Who, who is working at Mozilla.
  • and so on...

Humans! Humans are working there...many thousands of them!!!  :D

Edited by SweX

OK, ask...

• Arakasis cousin, who is working at Apple.
  • Arakasis cousin, who is working at Microsoft.
  • Arakasis cousin, who is working at Oracle.
  • Arakasis cousin, who is working at Mozilla.
  • and so on...

• 3 weeks later...

Strange do... no one else gets them.

I wonder where you downloaded the installation from? Tell you why I'm asking-:

A while ago I was looking for software and came across Softpeadia, I came across  THREE similar sights, one the real one and two were faked, I reported them to the real Softpeadia site, there were two things caught my eye, they offered 'cracked' software and the URL's, dunno what  happened to them but did have a 'thank you' from their Admin stating he would report the matter, this wasn't that long ago.

Another source I would not use is Cnet, I don't trust them one bit, heard other folks say the same. One could try opening the links and checking the 'full' URL  - a good job I did!

As for tracking, they're all at it some worse than others.... I have many Google tracker sites blocked in Host Manager (Abelhadigital), I also use DNT+ I've got doubts about that too and have it turned off a while now, I don't trust them like I use do.

Turn cookies off if you can,  at the very least clean them out along with the rest such as search history, temporary files and such like before you shut down.... a bit like doing the washing up after a dinner. You don't know whats lurking in there waiting for a reboot.

Dave

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

My guess would be you generated a tracking cookie in an advertising network used by ESET, possibly while conducting research on how to purchase it.

Since you've already purchased the software, it certainly doesn't make sense to keep showing you advertisements for it. 

Try deleting your web browser's cookies and see if that makes it go away.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky